Ludwig floor tom leg placement?

Road Bull

Silver Member
So I just picked up my second replacement floor tom for my Ludwig Classic Maple kit. The first floor tom was a bit out of round, mostly on the resonant side, and the heads didn't seat properly. Then the second drum, my first replacement came. It was worse than the first and had a small imperfection in the wrap (small warp). That one went back and I got my third floor tom the other day.

Previous thread about FT issues>> http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121782&highlight=my+floor+tom+may+be+out+of+round

Ludwig had measured out distance from lug to lug to try to make sure this one was on the money. I would say it's pretty close. I am not sure what the industry standard is, but Ludwig claimed that this drum was in the top tier of the industry standard. At least I can seat a drum head on this one without it bottoming out and teeter tottering between the two choke points. yay...

But my heart skipped a beat a little at practice because I noticed something that I had not previously. I had taken both top and bottom heads off last night and replaced them with Remo Emperor on top and Ambassador on bottom. So tonight I get to practice and put the legs in and was like... that's odd.

I had not ever noticed that Ludwig offsets their floor tom legs. I mean to say, two are much closer together, and the third is meant to face the drummer and dictate the angle that the drum faces. It still looks weird to me. LOL, I thought that someone at Ludwig was @#$king with me. Maybe I am just a bit suspicious of the product as I am on FT #3. I guess I have also gotten used to all the other drums that I have played setting the legs equal distance apart from one another.

I could have sworn that my first one was not like this, and that the legs were equal distance apart, but I went back and looked at some old pics of FT#1 and sure enough, they are like that.

Is this weird to anyone else?

Attachments

M

Matt Bo Eder

I think that was a standard practice for Ludwig and Slingerland from back in the day. I don't think I ever had a floor tom that had the three legs equidistant apart around the drum. Not sure why they decided to do this, but your theory makes sense, so you're only adjusting one leg to angle the drum. But it does seem strange because I'm affecting all three legs when I'm setting up the floor tom anyway.

Glad they took care of your floor tom troubles, though! I say replace those stock feet with Pearls floating feet - it'll be the best $10 investment ever. I use those on all the floor toms I have ;)

King Tiger

Sucks to hear that stuff Road Bull. I just picked up a set of Ludwig Keystone's and practically went over them with a magnifying glass. Fortunately, I didn't have any issues with the floor tom, bearing edges, wrap, or anything. Hearing stories like yours' kept me at a distance from Ludwig for a while, but I saw the blue glass glitter I liked and couldn't turn down the price. It's been a while since I had some Ludwig's, and I'm glad I got 'em.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
That is a beautiful set of Ludwigs you have there. Just gorgeous. The matter of the tom leg spacing appears to be a simple matter of centering them between the lugs. If they were placed anywhere else, they would not be centered, so it's mostly a visual thing. I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

GeeDeeEmm

harryconway

Platinum Member
The matter of the tom leg spacing appears to be a simple matter of centering them between the lugs. If they were placed anywhere else, they would not be centered, so it's mostly a visual thing. I wouldn't sweat it in the least.

GeeDeeEmm
Yup, that's why it's done.​

Road Bull

Silver Member
Thanks for the comments and compliments.

I had to laugh a bit at myself for not noticing the "eisle" leg placement earlier. I have to say that while it hasn't been the easiest drum purchase, with the floor tom fiasco.

I have to give a shout out to Michael Cotta at American Music in Seattle for being very helpful in anyway that he could. He assisted in getting things sorted out with Ludwig and make sure that I was taken care of.

I suspect that there might be an issue with the machining that makes the 16" FT. I can't lay claim that I know what the industry standard for tolerances or roundness and dimensions are, but this has been an eye opening experience. My old Tama Artstars measured consistently all the way around, but that's not a large test pool admittedly.

And having said all that, I REALLY like the sound of these drums. They are a joy to play as the thunder along with the band at practices and shows. I also really dig the Vintage Black Oyster Pearl finish. It's the prettiest instrument I have had the pleasure of owning.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have a 14 inch Gretsch Renown floor with unequal spacing on the legs, and I am pretty sure my 16 inch Catalina floor tom is the same. I put the two closer legs to me with them about an inch lower than the third for tilt.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
I noticed that too on my Ludwig Keystone kit the other day as I'm cleaning it from an eBay auction. My Mapex floor tom legs/mounts are more evenly spaced around the drum. I won't lose sleep over it, and I'm anal about my badges facing the audience so in the end, due to placing the floor tom to accomodate this desire, the leg that will adjust the tilt towards/away from me will be on the side opposite of the drum.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Every eight-lug floor tom I've ever owned has had unequal spacing. as has already been pointed out, 3 legs doesn't divide evenly into 8 lugs, so they are situated to sit centered between lugs.

Road Bull

Silver Member
Haha..

So it sounds like it is more common than not. I have owned two different kits, Tama Granstar, and a newer Tama Artstar that use the equal spacing approach. So I have gotten used to that, as my normal. I am not going to lose any sleep over it. And I just think it's funny that I have owned the Ludwigs for so long without noticing. I think I had always been pointing the keystone badges out, so it never felt weird.

Bull

Gold Member
Hmmmmm Both my current kits are Ludwig Classic Maples. So,all my floor tom legs are like that. Actually, I think all the floor toms that I have ever owned were like that.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I have 2 Club Date floor toms and a Rocker and they are all equidistant. I guess it's something they do on their higher lines.

Glad things finally worked out for you.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Every eight-lug floor tom I've ever owned has had unequal spacing. as has already been pointed out, 3 legs doesn't divide evenly into 8 lugs, so they are situated to sit centered between lugs.
Exactly, and 3 doesn't go into 10 even either. Space between the lugs is even.