Ludwig finally design new throw-off

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm seeing $77 online for the P85AC throw/butt-plate pack. I'll definitely be getting one of these for my LB417.

Great find!

opentune

Platinum Member
meh, I'll stay true to my P-85, I never had any issue with it.
Nice re-design though, looks sleek.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Bout time. That still looks cheap though. If you pick one up let us know.

I like the way this looks, and judging by other Atlas stuff, I'm sure it's a great quality throw-off. But the P-85 on my Acro is still working fine so for now I see no need.

pmancuso

$50, hits stores in February '16.
I think it looks good and will be heavier made as the rest of the Atlas stuff.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I'd have to see how it compares to the $50-ish Dunnett strainer. The Dunnett's are totally stable.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Looks good. I hope it works good.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Cool that they made a new option for the P85 loathers out there.
I may buy it for my Black Beauty. I never had an issue with the P85 though.
It isn't fancy but it never lets me down.
If I decide to buy the new P85AC it will simply be just for the frick of it because I can.

I updated the original micro sensitive strainer on my Gretsch Round badge snare with the modern replacement because that throw off did suck! The replacement looks just like the original except it actually works.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to see how it compares to the $50-ish Dunnett strainer. The Dunnett's are totally stable.

The Dunnetts are excellent, although they do stick out a bit. :) The new Ludwig has a typically low profile. :) :)

Skulmoski

Gold Member
My Millennium P-86 works well so I will not be getting this new throw-off. I am glad that the fine people at Ludwig continue to innovate.

GJS

Icetech

Gold Member
Can someone tell me why the p-85 is so hated? I have only had one for about a year. but i have had zero issues with it.. Although i prefer dw's mag throw

KamaK

Platinum Member
Can someone tell me why the p-85 is so hated? I have only had one for about a year. but i have had zero issues with it.. Although i prefer dw's mag throw

Two reasons. First is that the stamped sheet metal construction is prone to bending. If you catch the lever on your clothes or put it in the Van incorrectly, you're going to need to spend some time with a needle-nose doing surgery.

Second reason is that the knob loosens while in the off position. So during songs where you turn the snare off, you can't just turn the snare on and expect everything to be perfect.

I like that the new casted throw is fairly true to the P85 design. I can only hope that it also resolves the slippage issue.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
This is great. Ludwig finally delivers a redesign. Can you say stocking stuffer? I finally know what to get myself for Christmas.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The Dunnetts are excellent, although they do stick out a bit. :) The new Ludwig has a typically low profile. :) :)

I really prefer the low profile strainers. The tricks are pretty good, but 180 degrees is too much throw off travel. Plus it's just too much metal. But I do like the tension knob, how easy it is to turn under tension. But it sticks out too much. The Ludwig strainer looks really great.

Bull

Gold Member
I guess this question should go to Bermuda,since he probably already has one. :)
Will the new butt plate spacing work on older drums?

michaelg

New design looks great, love the low profile and it looks sturdy and functional.
Last year i looked at different strainers for my 70s supra, hated the Dunnett and thought it completely overdesigned and it sticks out a mile from the shell.
finally opted for a RCK throw and happy with it.