Ludwig Experts: Ludwig Classic Maple Opinions

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
So all you Ludwig experts: date this kit.

I have recently acquired a Ludwig kit. It is supposed to be a Classic Maple. The interior is a light wood. There are no date stamps inside shells.

Can anyone help with an approximate date range for this kit? There are no stamps in shells, and badge is a little different than other Ludwig badges I have seen. The rack tom has a Ludwig rim mount.

Do you have any info on this kit? If you do please let me know. Thx!IMG_4580.jpgIMG_4581.jpgIMG_4582.jpgIMG_4583.jpg

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
My guess would be early 2000's kit. Possibly somewhere between 2000-2010 maybe?

My badges on mine look like that, but my wingnuts on the floor tom look just a little different. Also during this time, they may have done a stamp on the inside, but no decal. They also stamped the serial # on the badge out front. Later, it was on the sticker/decal on the inside.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Mine has no stamps no stickers no decals on inside.

My guess would be early 2000's kit. Possibly somewhere between 2000-2010 maybe?

My badges on mine look like that, but my wingnuts on the floor tom look just a little different. Also during this time, they may have done a stamp on the inside, but no decal. They also stamped the serial # on the badge out front. Later, it was on the sticker/decal on the inside.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
That's crazy. I know serial numbers mean next to nothing, but the number on one of my drums starts with 347--- and mine were made in 2010.

I'm sure an expert will chime in soon.

IBitePrettyHard

The rubber grommets are one clue that they aren't that old. Definitely from the 2000s.

This kit on Reverb has the same badge design and grommets and a serial starting with 333XXX. They bought theirs in 2002. The bass drum spurs are different however.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Lug gaskets and spacers on the floor tom brackets both showed up in the 1994 catalog, but the bass drum claws and spurs say 2000's.

Late 90s-early 2000s shells were thick 9-ply shells, before slimming way down to the thin 7-ply "Classic Maple" shell currently in use.

FWIW, my Gold Sparkle Ludwig Classic Maples are clearly stamped inside as being from 2005, and have badges starting with 341XXX.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
These are not what I would consider thick shells. Pics of 12x8 rack tom. Looks like 7 plies? And sharp angle.
Closeup.jpgIMG_4591.jpgIMG_4584.jpg

Last edited:

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
The shell itself I would no characterize as "thick".

I'm gigging with the kit tonite. Stage is small so floor tom will stay home.

So all you Ludwig experts: date this kit.

Last edited:

toonamike

The bass drum claws are "die cast" models, not the standard "new classic" claws. I'm guessing -- and it's totally a guess -- that what you have is from between 2005 and 2010. Take a look at Ludwig's site, specifically the 100th anniversary catalog. Literature > Historical

Stroman

Platinum Member
My Ludwigs have the same badges and spurs, and the serial numbers start with 347XXX. They were ordered in winter 2010 and received early 2011. There is a stamp inside the floor tom, but I can't really read it. It looks like there MAY be a partial stamp in the rack tom, but I can't tell for sure. My floor tom brackets are different because I chose different ones, along with mini-classic lugs.

So, I am in agreement that your kit it in the 2005 - 2010 range.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
The badges are somewhat unique the "Monroe, NC USA" and the "Made in USA." Rubber gaskets. Bass drum spurs.

I would think are all from a certain period?
Sure, but that certain period is a fairly wide range. Early 2000s up to about 2011 based on what is visible. Ludwig has always been a little slippery on details and without a date stamp inside the shell there's not a lot that could really narrow that range any further.

The lug gaskets have been on Ludwig drums for 25+ years, so that doesn't really narrow things down. Those spurs replaced the Rocker spurs in the late 90s/early 2000s as far as I can remember, but they still use those spurs today. I don't know exactly when Ludwig added "made in the USA" to the badge. The new claws phased in around 2013, but I think they used both side by side for a while.

Have you tried contacting Ludwig directly?

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Thanks!!!! That decade you identified is good enough for me.

Sure, but that certain period is a fairly wide range. Early 2000s up to about 2011 based on what is visible. Ludwig has always been a little slippery on details and without a date stamp inside the shell there's not a lot that could really narrow that range any further.

The lug gaskets have been on Ludwig drums for 25+ years, so that doesn't really narrow things down. Those spurs replaced the Rocker spurs in the late 90s/early 2000s as far as I can remember, but they still use those spurs today. I don't know exactly when Ludwig added "made in the USA" to the badge. The new claws phased in around 2013, but I think they used both side by side for a while.

Have you tried contacting Ludwig directly?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I have CM's that don't have any stamp for the date too.
The main kit has the '07 info, but drums I got around 2013 don't have a date stamp.
The toms from my '07 kit have 2 badges on the toms also. The toms from around '12/'13 don't.

Yours should be in that 2010, 2011-ish range like others have suggested.