Ludwig Epic X Over

Cottontop

Hey guys. I saw one of these at a drum shop a while back but didnt really give it much attention rather than tapping the toms for a few minutes.

any of you guys have it? it looks pretty nice but where do you think it falls in the beginner-pro quality. im guessing semipro but again, i didnt play it much.

Solaris

Silver Member
They're a semi pro drum kit. I'm fairly sure they're a 6 ply shell, with 2 ply walnut, 2 ply poplar, 2 ply walnut construction, and a 3 ply birch reinforcement hoop. There's a striped version of the kit as well, which has a walnut/maple/walnut inner and outer ply.

We have some regular Epics in store, which are birch/maple/birch 6 ply shells, and they sound fantastic. They are all asian woods, but the technology that goes into the shells is outstanding. I'm half considering one as a gigging kit to save dragging the DWs around everywhere.

Cottontop

They're a semi pro drum kit. I'm fairly sure they're a 6 ply shell, with 2 ply walnut, 2 ply poplar, 2 ply walnut construction, and a 3 ply birch reinforcement hoop. There's a striped version of the kit as well, which has a walnut/maple/walnut inner and outer ply.

We have some regular Epics in store, which are birch/maple/birch 6 ply shells, and they sound fantastic. They are all asian woods, but the technology that goes into the shells is outstanding. I'm half considering one as a gigging kit to save dragging the DWs around everywhere.
hmm, how do you think they would compare to a gretsch renown sound and quality wise. i would think they would be much warmer and deeper sounding

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
the Epic is Birch/Maple/Birch and the Epic X is Walnut according to what I'm finding online.

Ludwig now has the EPIC and EPIC X-Over series drums. The Epic series features a
Birch/Maple/Birch Hybrid Shell with Vintage Bronze Hardware
While the Epic X-Over series features a Walnut Inner and outer ply with a Poplar core.
Two more reasons to consider Ludig as your next drumset.

Cottontop

the Epic is Birch/Maple/Birch and the Epic X is Walnut according to what I'm finding online.

Ludwig now has the EPIC and EPIC X-Over series drums. The Epic series features a
Birch/Maple/Birch Hybrid Shell with Vintage Bronze Hardware
While the Epic X-Over series features a Walnut Inner and outer ply with a Poplar core.
Two more reasons to consider Ludig as your next drumset.
yea. it looks like they have die cast hoops. and when i checked ludwigs website their listed higher than the centenials

damn... when i saw'em in the shop i tapped'em but i thought they were lower end kits so i moved on pretty quickly

volvoguy

What technology are you talking about?

There's a lot of newer "technology" in drum manufacturing... which is to say materials (glues, resins, wraps, metals, plating, etc.), tooling, and production techniques have improved everywhere from the beginning to the end of making a drum.

The change has got to be most dramatic in the mid-range mass produced Asian drums that most of us have thumbed our noses at over the years. Basically, modern technology has made it really hard to mess stuff up. You can see the results especially in the Gretsch Catalina line which has just been killer. Folks are actually using these kits to *record* with.... and these are folks with "proper" Gretsch kits at home. That's really telling.

It looks like Ludwig has also got their act together (finally!). I picked up a Ludwig Element SE "Retro" series (cherry/gumwood) kit in September. For the money, they are just *awesome* drums. If you're a schtickler for absolute perfection you'll be disappointed buy nearly any mid-priced kit. If you're just after really nice sounds for a nice price, you'll be pleasantly surprised by what is possible these days. I put my Classic Maple kit in the corner for a while so I can mess around with the Element SE's. They sound *that* good.

Word is that the higher end Epics have replaced the Classic Birch series in Ludwig's line up.

-Ryan

bonzolead

Platinum Member
I own a EPIC "Downbeat" set the birch/maple/birch shells and for the money I paid they're outstanding, I wanted a cheap tuck away gig kit and they're perfect for that the shells really sing nice and with a natural to charcoal fade they look nice also. The bronze hardware either you hate it or love it IMO I love it it looks vintage and with being bronze it doesn't. show fingerprints with is cool for a gig kit. The X-Overs's look beautiful but I haven't. seen one upclose but i'm sure they're sweet.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

volvoguy

I own a EPIC "Downbeat" set the birch/maple/birch shells and for the money I paid they're outstanding, I wanted a cheap tuck away gig kit and they're perfect for that the shells really sing nice and with a natural to charcoal fade they look nice also. The bronze hardware either you hate it or love it IMO I love it it looks vintage and with being bronze it doesn't. show fingerprints with is cool for a gig kit. The X-Overs's look beautiful but I haven't. seen one upclose but i'm sure they're sweet.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
You need to post us some pics somewhere! The finishes are really purty on these.

-Ryan

bonzolead

Platinum Member
You need to post us some pics somewhere! The finishes are really purty on these.

-Ryan
I don't. like reading posts without pics also but I don't. have a camera right now UGG I'll try too post pics before the weeks out. Believe me through they're nice and well worth the $.

Bonzolead