Ludwig Epic Brick Snare

sharktooth

I'm looking to buy this used Ludwig Epic Brick snare drum. It is practically brand new. The guy is asking $149 USD. I think this is a good deal. I'm looking for a larger(7"-8"x14") snare with a wood shell so this is on my radar. Anyone own one? Any thoughts please?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Re: LUDWIG EPIC "BRICK" SNARE??

I had one and I returned it. It didn't do it for me. Can't really say why, I just didn't like it

X

XplosiveDrummer

Crazy, I was looking at this same snare because Guitar Center has that deal on them right now. About $20 more than what your seller guy is asking I believe.

At first and after learning about why it's called a brick lol I thought this was going to be THE snare I would want. Thick as a mo-fo, loud and sensitive and from the first time that I heard it on Youtube (hint hint) I thought yes this is it. Then as I dove deeper into other snares and compared the sound, I finally decided against it. The more I listened to it the more it does sound like a "brick" lol. Like a brick of cheap wood with cheap snares on it.

IMO you should listen to it on Youtube first then decide. For the money it might be a fun snare to use but then again maybe not. What really got my attention was the natural finish of it but like I say the sound after listening to it for about the 5th time turned me away.

EDIT: Scratch that, seems their snare clearance is over. Ah well, my story still stands though lol.

Angus Macinnes

I have one and it works well for me, but I dont gig and I use hot sticks most the time. I paid $150 for mine a couple years ago. Good luck with your quest.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

I'm looking to buy this used Ludwig Epic Brick snare drum. It is practically brand new. The guy is asking $149 USD. I think this is a good deal. I'm looking for a larger(7"-8"x14") snare with a wood shell so this is on my radar. Anyone own one? Any thoughts please?
I had one and it was ok. It developed a split in the plies and since it was new I returned it for my money back rather then get another one. I think your $149 would be better spent on a used Acrolite.

If I may make a recommendation, if you want phat, just search for an old Ludwig or Slingerland 10x14 parade snare (10-lugs or less, mine is 8). You get two more inches on the depth and it'll sound way phatter.

sharktooth

I had one and it was ok. It developed a split in the plies and since it was new I returned it for my money back rather then get another one. I think your $149 would be better spent on a used Acrolite.

If I may make a recommendation, if you want phat, just search for an old Ludwig or Slingerland 10x14 parade snare (10-lugs or less, mine is 8). You get two more inches on the depth and it'll sound way phatter.
Good insight. I have a vintage Slingerland 5x14 aluminum shell with Radio King lugs and Stick Saver rims. I think an Acrolite would be of a similar ilk,no? My plan was to replace the snares and rims(with die cast) on the Brick. I have read that several people wound up doing just that, as they found the stock rims and snares sorely lacking. Good idea re: Ludwig 10x14 parade drum as an option. I've wondered about that. Of course, my ideal would be a Coliseum or an 8x14 Gretsch or older Yamaha. But that's in an entirely different(read:more expensive) price range.
On a side note: I'm new here, just started here today. So if I'm posting in an inappropriate location please "pull my coat" to this if so.

zarrdoss

Gold Member

I had one and it was OK the plies started to separate the short time I had it so I fixed it then sold it. I like my PDP 20 ply maple bubinga 6.5 x 14 and 8 x 14 a whole lot more, Better made better throw and just sounds so much better more versatile than the brick, both models, well IMO PDP also makes a 20 ply Birch as well 6.5 x 14 and not much more than the 150 you were going to pay for a used brick. http://www.pacificdrums.com/snares/

Bo Eder

Platinum Member

Good insight. I have a vintage Slingerland 5x14 aluminum shell with Radio King lugs and Stick Saver rims. I think an Acrolite would be of a similar ilk,no? My plan was to replace the snares and rims(with die cast) on the Brick. I have read that several people wound up doing just that, as they found the stock rims and snares sorely lacking. Good idea re: Ludwig 10x14 parade drum as an option. I've wondered about that. Of course, my ideal would be a Coliseum or an 8x14 Gretsch or older Yamaha. But that's in an entirely different(read:more expensive) price range.
On a side note: I'm new here, just started here today. So if I'm posting in an inappropriate location please "pull my coat" to this if so.
Ah. You've got the steel side covered then. I like Ludwig snares, but they have to be the good stuff. I'm not sure about their drums made in China, which the Brick is, which is why they're so cheap. If you were getting a classic maple snare, that's a whole 'nother can of worms (good worms). I tried the Brick with Yamaha wood hoops and although it looked cool, the splitting plies were a deal breaker. And it saved me the extra $200 for the hoops!

If you think about it, by the time you added die cast hoops to the brick, you've spent enough to get a nicer wood snare where you wouldn't need the new hoops.

Here's a picture of my red sparkle with my vintage Rogers kit:

Attachments

mandrew

Gold Member
If you like fat, I would look at Noble and Cooley 14x7 drums, or a deep aluminum or brass shell to cut, with an ambassador head.