Ludwig Drum kits - your favourite line

RickP

Gold Member
Ludwig has a number of pro model kits - what is your personal favourite ?

I have owned three Legacy Maple and currently own a Classic Maple kit and my personal preference is for the Classic Maples . The Classic Naple to my ear are far more modern and versatile sounding . They have a wider tuning range as well and don’t seem as one dimensional as I found the Legacy Classic to be . This is not a slight on the Legacy Classic - what they do , they do really well . It is the Classic Ludwig sound . That thumpy tone .

So which is your favourite and why ?

For me, after owning a couple of Ludwig sets, I would have to say the Classic Maple line is my favorite. My second favorite would be the Mahogany Classics.

After listening to the Ludwig shootout video from drum Center of Portsmouth I think I like the classic Maples and the club dates the best. I have a set of 2019 Club dates that I'm real happy with. The only other Ludwig drum set owned was a 4 ply Poplar kit in 1982 SL series . I liked them fine at the time I don't know if I still would today.

Ludwig Legacy Maple. I drive a vintage 26, 14, 16, 18 Luddie 3 ply ..... and that's my favorite Ludwig sound.

I have a vintage 1968 Ludwig drum set that is probably my favorite of all time, so I’ll say that line. ?

If we are only talking about modern lines, I would say the Classic Maples.

I like the CM the most. No frills experience but you really can't go wrong with a Ludwig right? Nobody is going to complain about a blue sparkle CM in fab sizes.

After listening to the Ludwig shootout video from drum Center of Portsmouth I think I like the classic Maples and the club dates the best. I have a set of 2019 Club dates that I'm real happy with. The only other Ludwig drum set owned was a 4 ply Poplar kit in 1982 SL series . I liked them fine at the time I don't know if I still would today.
I'm with you on the Portsmouth shootout. The club dates won me over after listening to the shootout 3 or 4 times.

The pink ones that (I believe) @PorkPieGuy posted like a year ago or so.

I tried to purchase a 7 piece Rockstar kit on credit when I was like 18. Y'all already know how that turned out. That was before I found my first Pearl kit.

Never owned or even played a set of Ludwigs.
I am highly interested in the Neusonic line however, might be a future purchase.

I'm with you on the Portsmouth shootout. The club dates won me over after listening to the shootout 3 or 4 times.
Yeah I thought that the club dates and the classics sounded very close and those two are definitely my favorites of all of them all. I was looking to buy a set at the time so I didn't pay much attention to the sounds coming from the full microphone set ups or the overheads. Mainly what I was interested in was the room mic sounds. I felt like that would give me a more realistic idea of what the drums really sound like.

Yeah I thought that the club dates and the classics sounded very close and those two are definitely my favorites of all of them all. I was looking to buy a set at the time so I didn't pay much attention to the sounds coming from the full microphone set ups or the overheads. Mainly what I was interested in was the room mic sounds. I felt like that would give me a more realistic idea of what the drums really sound like.
Agree

Not a Ludwig owner, but for me Legacy Mahogany all the way with Legacy Maple being a close second.

Classic Oak.

I love my Classic Oak kit. Sounds and looks amazing

All of the current lines have something for somebody. I like them all for certain purposes. For presence and clear tone, it's Classic Maple. For punch, attack and body, it's Classic Oak. For punch, attack and warmth it's the Vistalites. The Legacy lines are very musical with a nice blend of attack and tone, although the eras after which they were based - mid-'70s and earlier 3-ply maple and mahogany - differ in that the shells were constructed differently then. Those old drums still sound the best to my ear.

I never warmed-up to the recent US-made Club Date series, although I really like the Asian SE Club Dates from the early 2010s.

But the real sleeper for me is the newish Neusonic line, a cherry/maple thin shell with the wrap applied in the mold for a completely unified shell. They're warm with lots of tone, but with a nice presence. Very 'even' sounding if that makes sense. They also respond well to different heads - clear for more attack, coated for a more classic sound, 2-ply for a little more punch... compared to some drums that seem to excel with one type of head. Traditional sizes only on them (ie; 14" deep kicks) and limited proprietary finishes, but neither are an issue for me... I still think a 16x22" kick is deep!

I have a relatively recent Classic Maple build in birds-eye, and they are fine drums - great build quality (surprisingly good in fact - watch out German-made Sonor), looks, and versatility in sound - no regrets. The price is right as well.

However, based solely on sound, I have to go with the Legacy line, maple or mahogany, for a more overall pleasing-to-my-ear sound contour - a bit more pure and less raucous tone overall. I don't tune low/thumpy much, and have heard Legacy's sound great tuned up to where I'd want them.

So, the Classic Maples are great drums, but the Legacy line takes the trophy on sound in my book. On value, Classic Maples all day long, though Ludwig needs to bring back the Shadow finishes and a better choice of wraps. They don't need to be where Gretsch is with finish offerings, but be more consistent with the offerings and cut the buyer a break if they choose the "customer-supplied" wrap option.

But the real sleeper for me is the newish Neusonic line, a cherry/maple thin shell with the wrap applied in the mold for a completely unified shell. They're warm with lots of tone, but with a nice presence. Very 'even' sounding if that makes sense. They also respond well to different heads - clear for more attack, coated for a more classic sound, 2-ply for a little more punch... compared to some drums that seem to excel with one type of head. Traditional sizes only on them (ie; 14" deep kicks) and limited proprietary finishes, but neither are an issue for me... I still think a 16x22" kick is deep!
Have any insight on the snares in the Neusonic line? I am seriously considering one of these kits in the future.

Back