ludwig craigslist identification

someone is selling this kit, with 'zilgen symbols/extras' on craigslist not too far from me for $400. when i inquired about it she said she had to ask her husband what kind of ludwig it is. she responded 'ludwig classics sparkle blue'. good chance they are classic maples?

Attachments

• 3ta3Mc3Ic5r15F15q3d6i09d0c1093ec11517.jpg
    3ta3Mc3Ic5r15F15q3d6i09d0c1093ec11517.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 596
Nice looking kit. Bass drum mounted cymbal arm mount, T Rods. Hmmmmm...

Seems a bit odd that after looking at tons of CM's, I cannot find a one that has both double tom mount and bass drum cymbal mount. It's either or. How you supposed to mount that cymbal anyhow with that second tom in the way?

Seems a bit odd that after looking at tons of CM's, I cannot find a one that has both double tom mount and bass drum cymbal mount. It's either or. How you supposed to mount that cymbal anyhow with that second tom in the way?

i was thinking the same thing... maybe the double tom mount replaced a single?

That is your typical Craig's ad pic. You know less about the drums after looking at that pic than you did before you looked at it. :)
I don't know about you, but when I am selling something I take five mins and I take several pictures that show the items that I am selling and the features.

the bass drum cymbal mount was common on 60's Ludwigs, so if these are from the 60's you'd better high tail it over there ASAP! This is one of those cases where bad pictures can be a good thing, since no one can easily identify the kit. I would at least go over there and check them out. White or clear interior shells with the reinforcement rings are the sought after ones (60's- early 70's), and for 400$ that would be a steal.

You could turn a profit on that kit. Yes it's a good deal assuming no damage.

I hate to burst bubbles here,but most 60's Ludwigs were Mahogany/poplar/mahogany and not maple,unless the finish was painted or natural.Then the outer ply was maple/poplar/mahogany.

The classic maple line didn't exist till the 80's.

Secondly,the double tom mount is most likely NOT factory and added on later.The bass drum mounted cymbal holder/bracket was only mounted on sets that had one mounted tom.Thers's no way to use the cymble holder with two toms on the bass drum.

ALL maple Ludwigs didn't come along till the 80's.Late 60's onward,they were maple/poplar/maple in both 3 and 6 ply.

finally received some pictures, but they are too big to post on here and i am unable to re-size them. they have the blue/olive badge with an identification number of: 955375

doing some research and i believe they are from 1976 if i am reading this identification chart correctly. still struggling to find exactly what they are. so many conflicting images on the internet...

Last edited:
Yup, if they have b/o badges they'd be the real deal and not the Standards. I'd run and take a look at them and bring my $400 ASAP.

This is one of those cases where bad pictures can be a good thing, since no one can easily identify the kit.

Amen. I scored a beautiful Leedy COB snare off CL. It took most of the night but I managed to track down what it was based on some terrible pictures.

Are you reading this Cellophanenick?

Well stop reading and go buy those drums!!

Yup, if they have b/o badges they'd be the real deal and not the Standards. I'd run and take a look at them and bring my $400 ASAP.

Standards have the exact same shell as the classic and club date line.Just different wraps and hardware.

Steve B

ohh, i am trying. they aren't too great at communicating via email...
That is another craig's issue. Unresponsive buyers and sellers.
I sold a snare on craigs today, the buyer was impressed that I returned his call after I had emailed him a few days ago and I told him that I would be available Today to show him the drum. :)

Last edited:
Bob, funny you bring that up. I have been exchanging a handful of emails back and forth over the last few months with a guy about a Sonor Arena set he had on CL. He suggested I go look at it two weeks ago, but never gave contact info. I gave up.

I finally heard back once again about an hour ago, this time he actually gave his address and phone number, said come look tomorrow. Since I had totally given up on him, I was looking at that other Ludwig in the thread I started- just looking for a better player...

This one makes more sense for me, since it is new in the box (not a "project"- already have enough of those) and includes all new Sonor hardware, and is fairly close to me. Sad to say, someone else will end up with that other Ludwig...

Back