Ludwig COB vs. Black Beauty

charliedrummer

I've always wanted a brass Supraphonic but am torn between the Chrome Over Brass and the Black Beauty. The COB is cheaper so I'm wondering if there's any advantage to shelling out more for a Black Beauty?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Your words...You've always wanted a brass Supraphonic.

There's your answer. Resist temptation.

Eye on the prize. Screw the dollars, not worth trying to save a few in a situation like this.

What you want is way more important than saving a few bucks.

Say you save 100 bucks and buy the COB.

You will always be wondering about the BB. And, you'll likely buy it anyway.

So save yourself the extra expense, and just decide to stay the course.

When you REALLY want a COB, then you should get it. Until then, don't settle.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Sound wise, I can't think of any advantage to having a Black beauty. The audience and your band mates won't know the difference.
But other drummers will say, "Oh, nice Black Beauty you have there".

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Sound wise, I can't think of any advantage to having a Black beauty. The audience and your band mates won't know the difference.
Correct, they start with the same brass shell and will sound alike if outfitted alike (with the same hoops, lugs, heads, wires & tuning.)

But other drummers will say, "Oh, nice Black Beauty you have there".
Also correct, and therefore a BB will have more value if/when you sell it down the road. If resale isn't a consideration, save the money and get the COB.

I have a couple of newish black beauties, and I feel no need for a new COB.

Bermuda

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'd be lying to you if I told you that I could hear the difference between a BB and a COB. The difference is 99.9% cosmetic.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
One is nickel plated brass, the other is chrome plated brass. Small difference on paper.

I don't know if this is correct info, but I seem to recall reading here that one sounds a tiny bit warmer and the other is a tiny bit more present.

As to which, if any, is actually warmer, I don't recall if the nickel was supposed to warmer or the chrome.

There probably isn't a huge difference like Kamak states. You should satisfy your original want first is MO. Because it won't be resolved in your head until you do.

Go with your heart first. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I was watching one of those awards shows on TV. Of course I kept looking at the drum sets; wondering what kind of drums they were using.

It is a shame that SNARE drums are never seen by the audience. it is unquestionably the most important drum in the drum set.
And it is usually the most beautifully decorated drum in the drum set.

It's just a shame.................

charliedrummer

I hadn't considered resale so I appreciate Bermuda bringing that up. If the difference between the two is cosmetic, is one easier to keep looking new than the other? Chrome plated brass shouldn't have the pitting/flaking issues associated with the aluminum supras. Do Black Beauties have any issues in terms of keeping them looking nice and shiny?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It is a shame that SNARE drums are never seen by the audience. it is unquestionably the most important drum in the drum set. And it is usually the most beautifully decorated drum in the drum set.
It's also the one drum that the drummer absolutely cannot see (in terms of its finish) when playing. :O

Bermuda

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I'll go against the grain and say that I can hear a difference between chrome plating and nickel plating and I don't like chrome plating as much.

I have a black beauty 14x6.5 and a mapex nomad 13x6, both brass, I actually don't know if the nomad is plated but it's not chromed. Recently I bought a Sonor phil rudd 14x5 which is chrome over brass unlike my other 2 and I noticed it was more of a wet sound and much brighter. It reminded me of some steel drums I had played and I realized that this was due to the shiny silver chrome that they were also plated with. I consulted this forum and there wasn't a strong opinion but I think I decided for myself - nickel plating has a slightly dryer and darker sound and I like it much more.

The COB was a nice drum, but I played a 14x5 black beauty in a local store and I kinda wanted to swap them. I ended up selling the Phil Rudd a month later. Get the BB (or equivalent).

lefty2

Platinum Member
I'll go against the grain and say that I can hear a difference between chrome plating and nickel plating and I don't like chrome plating as much.

It is my understanding that chrome is clear, and the color comes from the nickel plating under the chrome. I don't know about brass but on steel it's copper, then nickel, then chrome. That's where the inaccurate term, triple chrome plating comes from. I assume all chrome plating is done that way.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Recently I bought a Sonor phil rudd 14x5 which is chrome over brass unlike my other 2 and I noticed it was more of a wet sound and much brighter.
I'm wondering if that might be down to the actual shell itself though, Dre? The overall shell specs of the Sonor are quite possibly very different to the Ludwig. But the Luddy shells will be identical between the two models, leaving the outer plating as the only difference.

D

drumming sort of person

I'm wondering if there's any advantage to shelling out more for a Black Beauty?
Which lugs and which strainer were you planning to get? I'm thinking of getting a Super Sensitive Hammered Black Beauty or Hammered Bronze Supraphonic someday.

dwsabianguy

Recently I bought a Sonor phil rudd 14x5 which is chrome over brass unlike my other 2 and I noticed it was more of a wet sound and much brighter.
But the Phil Rudd has a straight shell and die-cast hoops, which will sound completely different than a beaded shell with flanged hoops. Beaded shells are dryer and higher in pitch that non-beaded shells. So as far as the "darker" part, since the shell has a higher pitch you can tune the heads a little looser, generally ending up with a softer, slightly darker sound.