Ludwig Club Date USA or Gretsch Brooklyn

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
That is interesting. Now, my Club Dates were drop-dead gorgeous looking drums with their aged onyx wrap. Honestly one of best looking kits I have ever seen. But I just did not dig the sound at all. The toms just were dead.

It's interesting the different perspectives that people have on the same drums. I have 2 kits that I play regularly a 2019 clubdates and a 2003 Birch starclassic performer kit. You say the clubs are dead and I find them more lively than my Tamas for sure. I love both kits. The Tamas have Birch shells and diecast hoops which will take some of the liveliness out and make them more focused I understand that, but the clubdates are anything but dead. Even with 2 ply EC 2 heads they sing out very nicely.

lefty2

Platinum Member
That is interesting. Now, my Club Dates were drop-dead gorgeous looking drums with their aged onyx wrap. Honestly one of best looking kits I have ever seen. But I just did not dig the sound at all. The toms just were dead.
Wow! It must be our idea of what a drum should sound like or something, I'm sure yours and mine sound the same. Also I thought that the clubdates and classics sounded almost identical on the Ludwig shootout video from DCP that I mostly based my choice of drums from. I have the same finish aged onyx and get lots of compliments.

Last edited:

s1212z

These sound quite different to me but pretty sure Ludwig doesn't want to use their Legacy shell on the modern club dates with the idea they are a more budget line. Both sound good to me though in their own way, of course Carter is a great player to make it happen.

Modern Club Date (31:00 mark you hear more toms):

Vintage club date:

gmiller598

I never got to play any of the recent models of Club Dates but I was considering checking them out in the past. It should be noted that as of 2020 the Club Dates were "discontinued" but can still be built out using Classic Maple shells on Ludwig's Outfitter by selecting the Imperial lugs and rounded bearing edges. The only difference would be the all maple shells and not the maple/poplar combo used in the USA made Club Dates as shown in the DCP and Carter's video.

steverok

Silver Member
I would to try both of these kits. Sadly, I don't know where any of y'all ever get to experience them.