Ludwig Club Date NOT discontinued

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
Not yet anyway. This week on Facebook, Ludwig posted a bunch of pics of the Club Date SE and wrote, "see your local dealer". I went to a shop today to pick up a head and they confirmed it, having just put in a bunch of orders. Rejoice! Not that I need any more but thought I would share the good news.

Not yet anyway. This week on Facebook, Ludwig posted a bunch of pics of the Club Date SE and wrote, "see your local dealer". I went to a shop today to pick up a head and they confirmed it, having just put in a bunch of orders. Rejoice! Not that I need any more but thought I would share the good news.

Dang it! I just got that Signet too! I will have to make more room.....

I've got the new Club Dates, they're great vintage-sounding drums. Well, at least until the Legacy Mahogany showed up at NAMM!

I've got the new Club Dates, they're great vintage-sounding drums. Well, at least until the Legacy Mahogany showed up at NAMM!

Not the same budget though! I already have 2 Club Date sets so this doesn't affect me but I'm glad that they decided to keep them around a while longer. Some new wraps would be nice. I like the way Gretsch updates their Catalina Club kits every couple of years and would like to see Ludwig do something similar with these.

Last edited:
I originally wanted the 12/14/20 in that blue oyster finish. I may still have a chance ;)

Funny, that's my least favorite finish. I really like that two-tone ruby sparkle, the silver sparkle (what I have) and the white pearl.

I'd like to see vintage blue sparkle, black diamond, sky blue pearl, and a satin natural finish to show off those lovely cherry outer plies.

I never heard of them being discontinued.

At NAMM, the only word was they weren't expanding the line into other finishes, or pushing them as a featured line.

Someone a while back posted a link to an online store that said they were discontinued and we kind of ran with it. It may well have been bad information. Whether it was discontinued and they changed their minds or it never was, this thread can serve to correct that info and let members on here know that they're still available.

In case anyone missed it here are all my Club Date drums set up together as one big kit.

tumblr_ng1azy6ShD1u55c8jo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ng1azy6ShD1u55c8jo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ng1azy6ShD1u55c8jo3_1280.jpg

I Was told they were done.What gives??? I Have the cavern kit looking to add the matching snare.So i might still be able to grab one>???

I ordered a downbeat in WMP last week. Should be in soon.

Anyone who owns the "new" clubdates- what heads have you found to sound good on this set?
I usually go with a 2-ply Aquarian response 2 coated over a classic clear (10mil) resonant head.

I'm thinking that with the full roundover, I may want to use an Evans g-14 single ply to keep the tone alive.

anyone care to share their experience with different heads on the club date se?

thanks,

I have a Cavern Club SE in blue oyster pearl-20, 12, 14, and it is a wonderful sounding kit, very round for sure. My snare was a bit fussy in getting the snares to resonate properly, but I've got it tweaked now with Pure Sound 30 snare wires. It sounds very full and woodsy with either an Ambassador or Emperor batter, and a Hazy A resonant.

For projection and to 'keep the tone alive,' I've found a stronger sound on the toms using an Ambassador/Vintage Ambassador for the batter.
My current combo is an A batter/Hazy A reso for the mounted tom; and Vintage A batter/Evans Strata 1000 resonant on the floor tom. The thicker Strata gives an even fuller sound than a hazy A did. I chose those particular resonant heads based on what I had on hand, but they work well.
I've got all the drums tuned to medium high resonance using a Tune Bot.
They sound large and round and cut through just fine.

I visited my local drum shop here in RI yesterday to see if my WMP downbeat had come in. Anthony (owner) said when he ordered them last week, the Ludwig inventory on all the Club Dates was in the single digits for all colors. He told me that they are not listed in the price book, and that his Ludwig rep told him they are discontinued. I asked what they normally have in stock on import kits and he said 30 or 40 is normal.
So, unless they are waiting for a shipment of CD sets, maybe they really are disco'ed.

He did say that my kit should be in this week. I am looking forward to using it for smaller rooms where the 14X20 bass will give a bit more breathing room for the band.

Thinking G14 coated over G1 clear on toms. I usually prefer Aquarian, but I don't see any single ply thicker than 10 mil, and I am concerned that 2-ply with rounded bearing edges might be too "dead" to project in a live setting.

It is possible that Ludwig are trying to get rid of their remaining stock and will not make more. It's also entirely possible that my local shop just ordered more existing stock. They didn't specify. The good news is that people who want one may have another chance to get one.

Drum devil,

What did you find to be a good sounding head on the club dates?

Have you tried different types- single vs two ply etc?

Any experience would be appreciated.

Double bass CD setup looks awesome BTW

Drum devil,

What did you find to be a good sounding head on the club dates?

Have you tried different types- single vs two ply etc?

Any experience would be appreciated.

Double bass CD setup looks awesome BTW

Thanks. That was a fun experiment that you probably won't catch me using live. As for heads, right now I've got coated G1's on all the toms. I've been playing mostly un-mic'ed gigs so those project well and sound big and open. I've also used coated G2's with great results. Fatter with less attack, the usual stuff. Remo PS3 on the bass drum. I haven't done any more experimentation than that.

Of course It depends on what your taste is and what sound you're going for. They're drums and they respond as most others do. Even the stock heads sounded pretty good. If there's a head that you prefer it should sound fine.

Hello everyone, first post here. I wanted to log in and say thanks to you guys for the info in the forum threads about the Ludwig Club Dates. I got the white pearl downbeat kit. The tip about reversing the kick drum legs to lay them flat was brilliant. Only thing I dislike is the rack tom mount. I don't understand it - you cannot fold it down, and mine won't stop dropping over under the weight of the tom drum. I tried to tighten it but it doesn't stay tight enough. I grabbed a used snare stand off eBay and am using that now. For heads I like a really dry sound so I have the Aquarian coated Studio-x on the toms. Aquarian coated focus-x on snare and SK1 on the bass.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll probably lurk more before posting, I'm a beginner drummer but have been in bands (guitar) for 25+ years. I'm having fun on the drums though. Cheers!

Welcome Boneless- make sure the washer that they give you is on the OUTSIDE of the metal teeth. The spring goes inside (but you don't really need it) and the washer goes on the outside right before the big wingnut. If the washer is inside, then the teeth wont lock together.

Search club Date se- someone had that problem.

My tom holder stays in place. I subbed an 8mm wingnut from a hardware store on the side facing me, so the crowd sees the nice Ludwig tee nut. The arm folds down towards me enough to fit in a bag.

Attachments

• IMG_0490.JPG
    IMG_0490.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 461
I am using this mount as of late. As you can see I modified the previous mount that I had installed even further by adding a clamp. This allows for many adjusting options. I used stainless steel railing caps to plug the holes where I cut the down tube for a finished look.

Attachments

• 11165210_10204044319860562_5285522955390609109_n.jpg
    11165210_10204044319860562_5285522955390609109_n.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 11113706_10204044319580555_734334619708066167_n.jpg
    11113706_10204044319580555_734334619708066167_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 11266644_10204044318980540_6551301368226876905_n.jpg
    11266644_10204044318980540_6551301368226876905_n.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 458
Back