Ludwig Classic Oak

wildbill

Platinum Member
and lots of other good Ludwig stuff here: https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/blog/new-2020-releases
The configuration designer, Outfitter looks intersting. I put it in the 2020 NAMM thread too, but I think the
Classic Oaks should have their own thread.

Is this replacing the Keystone X ? (oak/maple)

L7482AXTW_CLASSIC_OAK_MOD_TEN_WSKY_B.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!!! Oak drums from Ludwig. Yay!!!!! A little late to the party huh? LOL Sorry can't help it.

It's an oak/maple blend. Not sure what the exact layup is:

".... Our cross-over Oak/Maple design offers a rich tone that is balanced, focused, and loud. With exciting new finishes and configurable options, Classic Oak now joins its counterpart, Classic Maple, to deliver a dynamic professional drum set...."

It's an oak/maple blend. Not sure what the exact layup is:

".... Our cross-over Oak/Maple design offers a rich tone that is balanced, focused, and loud. With exciting new finishes and configurable options, Classic Oak now joins its counterpart, Classic Maple, to deliver a dynamic professional drum set...."
It's the same shell as Keystone X. Calling it Classic Oak makes more sense from a marketing standpoint. In other words, it's not a new line, just a new name.

And of course a new name brings a new, higher price. ?

Yeah, I saw the price tags at the show. Super-expensive.

And, are they phasing out Club Dates? I don't remember seeing any on display. Just a classic maple kit with the bowtie lugs and long rods.

And, are they phasing out Club Dates? I don't remember seeing any on display. Just a classic maple kit with the bowtie lugs and long rods.

It looks like Club Date models can be built using the forthcoming configurator. Look under the LUGS callout.

The_Outfitter.jpg

Wow!!!! Oak drums from Ludwig. Yay!!!!! A little late to the party huh? LOL Sorry can't help it.

Not too late, they introduced them in 2010 as the Keystone series. The fact that they weren't on the radar as oak drums is specifically why they changed the name to include the word oak.

The current Club Date drums have a different shell construction, so the way I read that graphic is it seems that you can get Club Date lugs, but only on those shells listed.

That's what I thought, too.

To add to the confusion, there's an asterisk below the edges that indicates Classic Maple only. Does that mean that CMs are the only shell you can get those edge options on? Sorry in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

To add to the confusion, there's an asterisk below the edges that indicates Classic Maple only. Does that mean that CMs are the only shell you can get those edge options on? Sorry in advance if I'm missing something obvious.

My guess is the baseball bat edge is such a key component of the Legacy shell and they either don't want to or can't cut the other edges on the thick edge of a Legacy shell.

To add to the confusion, there's an asterisk below the edges that indicates Classic Maple only. Does that mean that CMs are the only shell you can get those edge options on?

Correct, and in the case of the oak drums, because the grain of the oak on the inside and outside goes with the direction of the edge, it's very difficult to make it smooth. So an outer 45 or roundover can be less than perfect. If the outer oak plies were vertical grain (perpendicular to the edge,) a smoother edge would be more likely. Its current dual-45 edge is cut on the maple inner plies, so the edge is perfectly smooth.

I imagine the same applies the maple/cherry Neusonics, where only the outer maple plies have the smooth edge. Trying a dual-45 or roundover - where the head contact is on half maple half cherry - could be less than perfect.

My guess is the baseball bat edge is such a key component of the Legacy shell and they either don't want to or can't cut the other edges on the thick edge of a Legacy shell.

And that's true for that edge, although the baseball bat edge on those went away soon after they came out, in favor of their classic vintage edge which is a 1/8" roundover with a 30° cut on the reinforcement rings ('50-60s, and late-'60 thru '76/77.)

BTW, the roundover Classic Maples sound very nice with a better fundamental but still a nice stick. Anyone who made it to the show and tried the red or bronze mist kits, those were roundover CMs.

Bermuda

It looks like you can get any Ludwig professional series lug on any professional level shell. Oak, Maple, Mahogany w/ rings and Maple with rings can all have classic, mach, or club date lugs as well as either series keystones or blue/olive badges.

Well it's a good thing I got my clubdates last yr. There's too many choices now. :unsure:This way I made the right choice, Ludwig Clubdate. :p

LOL. Can't believe I missed it. I'm old and senile. :cool:

You're not the only one. That's Ludwig's bad for not putting oak in the name in the first place!

Back