Ludwig Classic Oak Drumset Demo

dwsabianguy

2112 got a big delivery of Ludwig drum kits a week or two ago, and this kit caught my eye as being cool, since there's still some novelty with the Classic Oak, and because the Tennessee Whiskey finish includes a matching interior ply. We're the only drum shop with a storefront left in NC (that I'm aware of; there are private sellers who have collection in their homes, but 2112 Percussion is a store), so it's good to show off some drums made in our home state.

I'm really impressed with these drums. My Birch Absolutes are my gold standard, and these are surprisingly close in responsiveness, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but these oak/maple shells speak quicker than Classic Maples I've played in the past. And I definitely like that. If only Ludwig would get their hands on some Hokkaido birch...

As always I'm just trying to reproduce the sound I hear when I'm playing the drums, but it turns out that involves a lot of mics at various distances. RE20/47fet clone on kick, Unidyne III SM57/MD441 on snare, MD421 U5s on toms, KM184 on hats (not high in the mix), 414 ULS overheads, and AEA R84s as room mics.

IBitePrettyHard

2112 got a big delivery of Ludwig drum kits a week or two ago, and this kit caught my eye as being cool, since there's still some novelty with the Classic Oak, and because the Tennessee Whiskey finish includes a matching interior ply. We're the only drum shop with a storefront left in NC (that I'm aware of; there are private sellers who have collection in their homes, but 2112 Percussion is a store), so it's good to show off some drums made in our home state.

I'm really impressed with these drums. My Birch Absolutes are my gold standard, and these are surprisingly close in responsiveness, which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but these oak/maple shells speak quicker than Classic Maples I've played in the past. And I definitely like that. If only Ludwig would get their hands on some Hokkaido birch...

As always I'm just trying to reproduce the sound I hear when I'm playing the drums, but it turns out that involves a lot of mics at various distances. RE20/47fet clone on kick, Unidyne III SM57/MD441 on snare, MD421 U5s on toms, KM184 on hats (not high in the mix), 414 ULS overheads, and AEA R84s as room mics.
Do you think they're versatile enough for jazz or smaller gigs, or are they a little too loud or brash for that?

ocgvictoria

Thanks for the demo. Kit sounds good, snare too. Were you tuning all the drums or just the snare? Hard to tell on my phone which has pretty bad sound.

EDITED: Just saw and heard this on my iPad with nice headphones. Cool kit.

Justinhub2003

I own these. Bought one of the first Tennessee whiskey kits sold in a 4 piece config back at the beginning of 2020

I absolutely love this kit. It’s the perfect rock sound but also sounds just as good tuned a bit higher with coated heads.

The kick drum thumps. I recently added the matching snare and it has an amazing crack,

I think Ludwig killed it with this kit!

Quai34

The finish is beautiful...I'm really happy I have no room to get more kits!!! And a wife who think that I don't really need any kits since I'm the keys player and should buy only that....otherwise I should have probably already lost the house in favor of drums...!!!

IBitePrettyHard

The finish is beautiful...I'm really happy I have no room to get more kits!!! And a wife who think that I don't really need any kits since I'm the keys player and should buy only that....otherwise I should have probably already lost the house in favor of drums...!!!
Tell the wife to kindly stfu because you need more drums to explore the studio space, or something.

No wait, don't do that... :LOL:

Poleaux

Wow… nice! Sounds great too.

I’m also very happy to see that 2112 Percussion is still in business. I used to visit and shop there often when I was living in the Raleigh area. They are a very cool business.