Ludwig Classic Maple

This is good info! You are a wealth of knowledge. 😊

My two current sets are the seven ply Classic Maples. In the eighties I ordered a set, and when I ordered them I remember choosing between 6 ply Classic or 4 ply Super Classic. I opted for 6 ply in power tom sizes. Do know what the dates were for those models? It's kind of off topic, but I'm curious. I played those drums through about 1983-84, as I recall.
...and in case anyone's curious, there is NO difference in the sound of the 7 ply shell, vs. the 9 ply shell. I've A-B'd it personally.

This is good info! You are a wealth of knowledge. 😊

My two current sets are the seven ply Classic Maples. In the eighties I ordered a set, and when I ordered them I remember choosing between 6 ply Classic or 4 ply Super Classic. I opted for 6 ply in power tom sizes. Do know what the dates were for those models? It's kind of off topic, but I'm curious. I played those drums through about 1983-84, as I recall.
4 ply Super Classic showed up in late 1988, so you couldn't have had that choice before then.

Those 6 ply Classics were 9.5mm thick.. The 4 ply Super Classic was 7.9mm and these were both Maple/Poplar (which is the best wood combo that Ludwig has offered IMO) . . Where as your current 7 ply is 6mm and all maple.

They briefly made a maple/poplar 6mm shell in a USA made Club Date not too long ago which sounded better than the current all maple IMO. They should of just made that the Classic Maple shell or at least an option.
They pretty much were already doing that.
Around 1996, they came out with a 5 ply Maple/Poplar shell they called "Vintage". It was 6.1mm thick.
When the 4 ply ended production the following year, the 5 ply shell took over the moniker "Super Classic" and held it until Maple/Poplar production ended (for kits) in the spring of 1998.
When the Classic Maple was announced, I was kinda hoping for a 100% Maple shell that had a combination of some of the Classic shell specs and some of the 3 ply shell specs, i.e. a 100% Maple non-reinforced 6 ply shell, 3/16" thick.
Alas, it didn't work out that way, but that's ok. The shell that ended up being the Classic Maple shell is a good one and it sounds great.

They pretty much were already doing that.
Around 1996, they came out with a 5 ply Maple/Poplar shell they called "Vintage". It was 6.1mm thick.
When the 4 ply ended production the following year, the 5 ply shell took over the moniker "Super Classic" and held it until Maple/Poplar production ended (for kits) in the spring of 1998.
When the Classic Maple was announced, I was kinda hoping for a 100% Maple shell that had a combination of some of the Classic shell specs and some of the 3 ply shell specs, i.e. a 100% Maple non-reinforced 6 ply shell, 3/16" thick.
Alas, it didn't work out that way, but that's ok. The shell that ended up being the Classic Maple shell is a good one and it sounds great.

yep I remember that.. but they cut it off and replaced with the maple shell. The Maple/Poplar sounded better IMO. The re-introduced that shell with the club date briefly.

4 ply Super Classic showed up in late 1988, so you couldn't have had that choice before then.
Yeah, I suspect the dealer was talking to me about the six ply shell, and later I read about the Super Classic, and "back-dated" that memory. All I know for certain at this point is that I got 6 ply drums and they sounded good. ☺️ Now I have 7 ply drums and they sound good.

yep I remember that.. but they cut it off and replaced with the maple shell. The Maple/Poplar sounded better IMO. The re-introduced that shell with the club date briefly.
Maple/Poplar production, as used in kits, ended in the spring of '98. I remember the announcement and how everyone scrambled to get the last of the M/P shells before the supply ran out.
That shell, in any form, didn't re-enter production until the advent of the Legacy shell.
There were two modern Club Dates. The first one predates the Legacy shell, but it wasn't Maple/Poplar.
I believe the second one was, though. However, Legacy was already in production by then, because I think it also used the Legacy's 3 ply shell design.
Just thinking about it now, I remember almost everyone agreed that the first modern Club Date kits sounded very "Gretsch-y". I remember they used 2 woods to make that shell, Cherry being one, but I don't recall what the other wood was (wasn't Poplar, I know that much).

EDIT: found it - https://www.ludwig-drums.com/application/files/9714/6531/8351/AV8149.pdf
It was Cherry and Gum and had a full round over edge.
This is the first modern Club Date I mentioned. The one that sounded like a Gretsch kit.

Last edited:
EDIT: found it - https://www.ludwig-drums.com/application/files/9714/6531/8351/AV8149.pdf
It was Cherry and Gum and had a full round over edge.
This is the first modern Club Date I mentioned. The one that sounded like a Gretsch kit.

That was the SE and made in Taiwan fwir..... The one I am referring to was the Club Date USA Series maple/poplar which came out around 2017.

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/blog/series-club-date-usa-series

https://badgesdrumshop.com/products...satin-14x18-8x12-14x14?variant=39765081555019

The first Club Dates were cherry and gumwood. Maybe the gumwood makes them sound like Gretsch? Still nice sounding, though the centred lugs always gave me tuning problems.

I remember a Ludwig engineer said that the second Club Dates actually had a similar shell sound with the Classic Maples - so the current Classic Maples with optional rounded bearing edges should sound like those.
The rounded CM's sound even better to me than regular CM's, but they still cost more than similar-sounding Club Dates (fortunately they come with better, separate lugs). To me the second Club Dates are what the Neusonic line SHOULD have been...

That was the SE and made in Taiwan fwir..... The one I am referring to was the Club Date USA Series maple/poplar which came out around 2017.

https://www.ludwig-drums.com/en-us/ludwig/blog/series-club-date-usa-series

https://badgesdrumshop.com/products...satin-14x18-8x12-14x14?variant=39765081555019

That would be the second Modern Club Date drum I referred to. The Legacy series was already out by then, so Ludwig didn't return to m/p layup with the Club Date, they did so with the Legacy.
However, earlier, I stated that I thought they used the Legacy shell to base those drums on.
Apparently that is wrong.
Here's a quote from an review of the second Modern Club Date kit by Music Radar...
For this new incarnation Ludwig has used a broadly similar shell, but this time it is 7-ply, made up of twin 0.9mm maple plies, inner and outer, with a core of three 1mm plies of poplar. That adds up to 6.6mm un-sanded. There are no re-rings and bearing edges are vintage style with a 1/8" round-over playing edge.
So, I stand corrected on the composition of the shell.

...HOWEVER...

The Legacy was already in production, so that second Modern Club Date did not usher a return to the m/p shell. The Legacy did.

Last edited:
Back