Ludwig classic maple question..

Vandalay

I'm considering the classic maple for my next kit, but I've noticed most of the ones in stock at the big online stores tend to be the same wrap finishes. are laquer finishes, like aquaburst custom orders, and are they a lot more expensive? I'll hang up & listen.

toonamike

Yes, you can order lacquered finishes. I don't see those too often in stores, aside from a mahogany stain.

The wraps you normally see are ones that Ludwig has been making for years -- green sparkle, red sparkle, silver sparkle, black oyster pearl -- because those are "classic" looks. Plus, it's almost a given that Ludwig will continue to make those.

The lacquered finishes cost a bit more than what a premium wrap -- like black oyster pearl -- cost. On a bass drum, BOP costs $100 more than white cortex. Aqua burst is a $100 premium over a standard wrap (that's list price, BTW).

Download Ludwig's configurator Excel file from www.ludwig-drums.com. It's in the literature section.

charliedrummer

Another option available through Ludwig is providing your own wrap from another source. I know you're interested in a lacquer finish, which is definitely an option as toonamike mentioned above, but if you provide a wrap you like from a third party source, Ludwig will build a CM kit with that wrap. There is, however, an additional charge for this option.

toonamike

I will add that Ludwig can also do lacquered finishes that aren't shown on the website. When I visited the factory in November 2018, I met the painter. We talked about finishes for the high school drumline I instruct. The painter told me that I could send a uniform to Monroe and he would match the finish to the uniform, providing me with several fade and sparkle options.

There's no limit to what can be done if you have the money and a dealer who knows how to place the custom order.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Download Ludwig's configurator Excel file from www.ludwig-drums.com. It's in the literature section.
The spreadsheet will give you list price. Once you figure out what you want, get in touch with an actual drum dealer. They will get you a much better price than what's on the sheet. I suggest actually talking to a drum shop as opposed to one of the big box stores.

charliedrummer

I'll reaffirm what others have said about going through a drum shop that has a strong working relationship with Ludwig when placing a custom order. You need someone who will be on top of things throughout the entire process so that you get exactly what you specified in your order.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd also give an actual phone call to somewhere like Sweetwater or Cascio; they may have the finish/size combo you're looking for in stock, even if they don't list it online.

IBitePrettyHard

Just remember that lacquer finishes are more susceptible to dings and scratches. Wraps are generally more resistant to getting jostled around, and if it happens to be a busy pattern like a pearl or sparkle, it hides the imperfections (and dust) better as well.

Don't let that discourage you from a lacquer if that's what you really want...just remember you'll need to be more careful.

toonamike

I'd also give an actual phone call to somewhere like Sweetwater or Cascio; they may have the finish/size combo you're looking for in stock, even if they don't list it online.
I bought a Classic Maple shell pack from Sweetwater when SW was offering a free CM snare. Because I bought the shell pack from SW, I asked my sales engineer to quote the three additional drums I wanted. I had the price the next day (four days faster than the local shops) and it was lower than the local guys.

The custom order arrived in about six weeks, two weeks faster than the estimate. Everything was perfect.