Ludwig Classic Maple - Players Review

RodneyZepa

I'm finalizing my order in next couple of days for Classic Maple - Power 4 Kit which will be 18x24 8x14 (Snare) 11x13 (Rack) 14x14 16x16 with 900 Series Hardware (White Marine Pearl)...Would like to hear from players who've bought Classic Maple Kit in last year or so...I've been researching all I can but have a couple questions:

Badges - Are they (Shells) currently coming with Keystone Badges ...Numbered Shells.?.
Wrap - How has quality been.?.I saw somewhere where someone bought a kit and the wrap was "overlapped" by about 1/4" for "Shrinkage"...Is this common or unusual.?.
Heads - Assuming Ludwig heads but are you able to order with, say, Remo or Evans.?.
Kick - What if I wanted 16x24 kick instead.?.Is that allowed..

Feel like expecting my first born...Been waiting, planning, dreaming long time for this kit...14x14 is an add-on...Considered 16x18 but think 14x14 will work better for my purposes...

Anyinsight appreciated...Thanks...RS...

I'd personally go with 14" depth for your bass drum.

24 x 18 is a big bucket. you are going to have to use alot of force. loose definition as well.

also, if you are going with 13 x11 tom, consider 16 and 18 floor toms.

if you really want 14 floor, 12" tom might be better for that configuration.

Last edited:
Depending on how often you are going to be moving your kit, you might want to go with the 800 series hardware. I have both 900 and 800, and the 800 is a lot lighter, making moving easier. And they are just as sturdy.

I'm looking at buying a 24" CM kick drum in the next few months and they are offered in different depths. I'll be getting the 14". I know I saw the option for a 16" as well.

I'd personally go with 14" depth for your bass drum.

24 x 18 is a big bucket. you are going to have to use alot of force. lose definition as well.

if you really want 14 floor, 12" tom might be better for that configuration.
I agree with this...

I'm looking at buying a 24" CM kick drum in the next few months and they are offered in different depths. I'll be getting the 14". I know I saw the option for a 16" as well.

If you like to cut a hole in your front head, I would'nt go with the 14" depth, as you probably won't hear much of anything. If you don't cut a hole, a 14" is good, but the 16" sounds near perfect on a 24" diameter. 18" usually only sounds awesome with a thick shelled drum, on a 24" diameter from my experience.

The 14" depth that was magic for me was a 22" diameter, with no hole on the front head, and I also had a 16" depth 24" that was perfect. Both of those were Yamaha drums.

If you like to cut a hole in your front head, I would'nt go with the 14" depth, as you probably won't hear much of anything. If you don't cut a hole, a 14" is good, but the 16" sounds near perfect on a 24" diameter.

That's not been my experience. I had a 24x14 Tama Imperialstar (early '80) with no head on the front and it sounded great. I also had a Tama Superstar 24x16 from the mid '80s that sounded great. I then went to a 22x16 for two kits in row, and now a 22x18, so I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of effect depth has on a bass drum's sound.

I also played a 24x18 that a friend of mine has, and wasn't impressed with it at all. I agree with you that a drum that massive can't be thin-shelled.

Recently I played on a Gretsch 24x14 with no head on front and it had most of the characteristics that my old Tama had. It's that characteristic that I'm interested in.

I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to hear a 24x14 with a ported front head. Of course it won't be as boomy, as a 16 or 18 would, but that's just what I'm trying to get rid of. I'm at the end of the pendulum swing where I'm not liking depth on bass drums at all.

What do you guys think of a 24 x 20depth bass drum? any experience? sound? anything?

I'm thinking in getting a CM in this configuration: 12x8 or 13x9 (not sure yet, suggestions?), 16x14 ft, 18x16ft, and a 24 x 20 bd.
Any thoughts ?

What do you guys think of a 24 x 20depth bass drum? any experience? sound? anything?

I'm thinking in getting a CM in this configuration: 12x8 or 13x9 (not sure yet, suggestions?), 16x14 ft, 18x16ft, and a 24 x 20 bd.
Any thoughts ?
WAAAAAAAAY Toooooooo Deeeeeeeeeeep.

The deeper the bass drums go, the more punch they lose. I'm not a fan of the current deep bass drum trend and can't wait until it's over.

Those are great tom sizes, IMO. Mine are almost exactly the same - except my first floor is a 15x14.

That's not been my experience. I had a 24x14 Tama Imperialstar (early '80) with no head on the front and it sounded great. I also had a Tama Superstar 24x16 from the mid '80s that sounded great. I then went to a 22x16 for two kits in row, and now a 22x18, so I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of effect depth has on a bass drum's sound.

I also played a 24x18 that a friend of mine has, and wasn't impressed with it at all. I agree with you that a drum that massive can't be thin-shelled.

Recently I played on a Gretsch 24x14 with no head on front and it had most of the characteristics that my old Tama had. It's that characteristic that I'm interested in.

I'm not sure what you mean about not being able to hear a 24x14 with a ported front head. Of course it won't be as boomy, as a 16 or 18 would, but that's just what I'm trying to get rid of. I'm at the end of the pendulum swing where I'm not liking depth on bass drums at all.

Mike, I don't think you are just making stuff up or anything, but I have NEVER experienced anything like what you are saying to be remotely the case. Maybe you were in a room with all the right and best acoustic circumstances.

Why don't you take off the bottom heads of your toms or cut holes in them? Regarding kicks, I don't know how many times I have actually put a DW or Yamaha with a hole in the front head right next to one with no hole, and shown the absolute difference. Too many!

There is no comparison, and especially with NO head on the front.

Wow...Thanks for info...Great stuff...The Shell pack specified 18x24 kick and personally would prefer 14x24 or 16x24 at most...But...Am I able to change kick size on Shell Pack.?.I've never bought before, custom that is...And 16x18 would make more sense wouldn't it...Don't think 16x18 much more than 14x14...Maybe $75 - $100 I'm assuming...Any wrap issues to consider.?.K...Perfect y'all...Really appreciate your help...I'll ask the Sales Rep to change to 24x14 and see what he says...18" is too deep...My Gretsch Renown is 20x22 so don't need another "Deep" kick...Peace...

Mike, I don't think you are just making stuff up or anything, but I have NEVER experienced anything like what you are saying to be remotely the case. Maybe you were in a room with all the right and best acoustic circumstances.
I'm not sure what you're talking about... you mean you've never heard a single-headed kick that sounded good? That may just be a matter of taste, but it used to be that most drummers took the resos off their kicks in the studio, and often left them off altogether. I like the sound myself. More punch and less shell. Of course, it isn't the same and the action off the pedal feels a little sloppy at first... it may not be your sound, but it is a sound.
Why don't you take off the bottom heads of your toms or cut holes in them? Regarding kicks, I don't know how many times I have actually put a DW or Yamaha with a hole in the front head right next to one with no hole, and shown the absolute difference. Too many!

There is no comparison, and especially with NO head on the front.
I get what you're saying, but I've never treated bass drums the same way I treat toms. I don't muffle my toms at all and they're always double-headed. I've never liked the concert tom sound, not even on Phil Collins' kit (worked for him, though). You should try taking your kick reso off just for giggles, it has a different vibe and actually sounds pretty cool in its own right. I do prefer to keep a ported reso on, though. I've tried unported, but micing can be problematic (gotta make it easy for the sound guy no matter how much of a noob he might be) and too much definition gets lost for my taste - although I may change my mind on that when I get a shallower kick.

Any thoughts ?

I have the 8x12, 9x13, 14x16 & 16x18 sizes in CM (also 9x12, 10x13, 11x14, 13x15).

All these sizes sound great.
They work great with many different kinds of heads, and have a wide tuning range.

I also have several bass drum sizes.

My main kick is 26".

I have 16, 18, 20" deep shells.

16 is fat and has a punchy oomph.
The 18 is fatter sounding, and I can feel it under my foot more than the 16.
The 20" deep has a great balance of tone, clean note, and punch. I've NEVER had ANYONE have anything negative to say about the 2 of them I have. Live or recorded, big or small venue.
I play the usual small 100-250 seat rooms, 1,200 seat theaters and 20,000 capacity outdoor sheds.
Not bragging, just saying it's up to you and what you want out of a bass drum, and to not be steered away from a deeper depth bass drum if you think you'd like it.

--Larrie Londin used to use very deep bass drums in the studio all the time. He said he liked them because he got more variety of sounds by positioning the mic in different spots. His were 22 and 24".

It all has to do with your personal preference in the depth. I get great results out of all the depths, but, I have NO problems getting a fantastic sound from my 20x26's, played hard or soft.

I have a 14x24 also, and that's a great size too.
Personally, I'd think a 20x24 would be great. Fat, punchy, solid, huge sounding through a big PA. "Huge" doesn't mean overbearing either.

Ludwig offers the Classic Maple shell in depths of 14" up to 20" in 20,22 & 24" diameters.

Never had a problem with the wraps at all. All very tight and solid.

Good luck deciding!

I have the 8x12, 9x13, 14x16 & 16x18 sizes in CM (also 9x12, 10x13, 11x14, 13x15).

All these sizes sound great.
They work great with many different kinds of heads, and have a wide tuning range.

I also have several bass drum sizes.

My main kick is 26".

I have 16, 18, 20" deep shells.

16 is fat and has a punchy oomph.
The 18 is fatter sounding, and I can feel it under my foot more than the 16.
The 20" deep has a great balance of tone, clean note, and punch. I've NEVER had ANYONE have anything negative to say about the 2 of them I have. Live or recorded, big or small venue.
I play the usual small 100-250 seat rooms, 1,200 seat theaters and 20,000 capacity outdoor sheds.
Not bragging, just saying it's up to you and what you want out of a bass drum, and to not be steered away from a deeper depth bass drum if you think you'd like it.

--Larrie Londin used to use very deep bass drums in the studio all the time. He said he liked them because he got more variety of sounds by positioning the mic in different spots. His were 22 and 24".

It all has to do with your personal preference in the depth. I get great results out of all the depths, but, I have NO problems getting a fantastic sound from my 20x26's, played hard or soft.

I have a 14x24 also, and that's a great size too.
Personally, I'd think a 20x24 would be great. Fat, punchy, solid, huge sounding through a big PA. "Huge" doesn't mean overbearing either.

Ludwig offers the Classic Maple shell in depths of 14" up to 20" in 20,22 & 24" diameters.

Never had a problem with the wraps at all. All very tight and solid.

Good luck deciding!

I've decided to go with 16x24 Kick...Feel confident with this size...Also going to go with 14x14 Floor Tom (Add-on) as, looking at your Kit, can always add a 16x18 later on and with WMP odds of finding one on EBay quite good...The Dealer is giving me, what I consider, a very good price which includes 900 Series Hardware which is only a couple hundred bucks more than other quotes I got on Shells alone...Delivery date possibly 5 weeks which is no problem...Badges.?.CM would come with regular Keystone (Old style) badges correct.?.Are these Shells numbered as well.?.There are some nice kits out there but they can sure F 'em up with badges which are oversized and completely out of place on these kits...I'd considered the Centennials but badges shot that down...Got to like what you gots...Thanks very much...You've been great help...Oh...Heads...I suppose kits come with choice of Ludwig heads only from NC...Something else to confirm...Peace y'all...

Hi there!

I'm looking to buy a new CM and I was looking for some reviews when I came across this great thread.

I'm swinging between two configurations:
· 24x14, 13x9, 16x16
or
· 22x??, 13x9, 16x16

Actually, my dilemma is the 22x14 or the 22x16 bass drum. I've tried the 22x14 at my local drum store and it sounded awesome. I know that this size is Ludwig's classic for the 22's... They didn't have a 22x16 at the drum shop so I couldn't compare the two.

I appreciate any thoughts/advice you can share... I don't know if this topic has been discussed before. If so, please post the link...

Thanks!

I ordered a Classic Maple kit a year ago (got in exactly one month) and couldn't have been happier with the quality and sound. (First time I have owned a Ludwig kit in 30 years.)

I went from 22" kicks to an 24 x 18 kick and I can't believe the difference - wish I would have made the move years ago. 12 x 9 tom, 14 x 14 floor, 16 x 14 floor... in natural maple gloss finish, complete with 100th Anniversary badges. Pics don't do it justice.

Attachments

• Lud-7.jpg
    Lud-7.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 10,063
  • Lud-8.jpg
    Lud-8.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 8,080
  • Lud-9.jpg
    Lud-9.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 10,461
  • Lud-10.jpg
    Lud-10.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8,071
  • Ludwig:1909.jpg
    Ludwig:1909.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 8,017
I ordered a Classic Maple kit a year ago (got in exactly one month) and couldn't have been happier with the quality and sound. (First time I have owned a Ludwig kit in 30 years.)

I went from 22" kicks to an 24 x 18 kick and I can't believe the difference - wish I would have made the move years ago. 12 x 9 tom, 14 x 14 floor, 16 x 14 floor... in natural maple gloss finish, complete with 100th Anniversary badges. Pics don't do it justice.

Very nice kit. Actually the one I'm going to order is going to be my first Ludwig set as well. As for the 24 bass drum, I'm leaning more toward a 24x14 since I've never played a 24 kick drum before... I've been playing a 22x16 all my life and if I would go with a 22 kick drum, I'm not sure if I should stick to the 16" depth or go with a 14"...

If you guys are going to cut a hole in the front head, I would stay away from the 14" depth. You need the extra depth to get ANY sort of sound if you need a hole for whatever reason ....

... BUT, if you ARE NOT going to cut a hole, ABSOLUTLEY go for the 14 depth. They sound much more satisfying, especially from the players pov... IMO.

Back