Ludwig Classic Maple - metal claws on wood bass drum hoops?

8Mile

Platinum Member
I ordered a set of Classic Maples about 8 weeks ago and they are slated to arrive in about 2 more weeks. Can't wait!

I'm wondering about having metal claws on the black wood bass drum hoop. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Ludwig believes that putting rubber spacers between the claws and the hoop negatively affects the resonance. My concern is scratching up the hoops and having the paint wear off.

Has anyone who's owned one of these kits had any problems with the hoops scratching? If so, are there any suggestions for how to avoid the problem?

Thanks!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I ordered a set of Classic Maples about 8 weeks ago and they are slated to arrive in about 2 more weeks. Can't wait!

I'm wondering about having metal claws on the black wood bass drum hoop. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Ludwig believes that putting rubber spacers between the claws and the hoop negatively affects the resonance. My concern is scratching up the hoops and having the paint wear off.

Has anyone who's owned one of these kits had any problems with the hoops scratching? If so, are there any suggestions for how to avoid the problem?

Thanks!
I've owned Ludwigs without rubber for the claws, and I had hoops painted black - never scratched 'em at all. Actually, the only way they could get scratched is if they're loose enough to be moving around on the hoop, and I never had them that loose. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have a Gretsch kit that is 40 years old. There has never been rubber on the claws.
There are some minor marks and dents where the claws gripped the hoops.
I always install the hoops in the same place so that the claws contact the hoops in the same place. The marks don't show because the claws cover them.

Homeularis

Gold Member
I always buy kits that have rubber or plastic on the BD claws. In my experiance,they always scratch and or dent. The difference in the bass drum resonating with or without is minimal at best and not something that should be of concern.
I gotta have no metal to wood on my new kits or its a definate deal breaker. I dont want drums that can scratch or dent themselves.
If you are super careful you should have minimal scratching or denting.

utdrummer

So Ludwig now states that "putting rubber spacers between the claw and wood hoop negatively affects the drum resonance"? Where was that statement even 20,30, or 40 years ago? Meh...it's all hype. It would take a scientist on an oscilloscope to even begin to detect any "negative resonance". Really, don't worry about that marketing drivel and if it does become an issue, head down to any hardware store and purchase some heavy felt and cut squares to fit. I hear ya on the new look and not scratching gear but it's probably gonna happen if you move them at all. I'm sure they will look and sound fantastic for years. Enjoy the ride.

RodneyZepa

I've had my Classic Maples since May with black kick drum hoops and have had heads and hoops off about dozen times and not a scratch...The hoops are really well coated and would take a lot to mess them up...Ludwig is incredible product...Really is...What finish are you getting ? I'd gone with Silver Glass Glitter and so glad I did...

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Where has Ludwig stated that about the resonance?

News to me.

The Black is pretty durable. Never get scratches or dents in my hoops.

I use the Die Cast claws on all my bass drums too.

Homeularis--don't ever get a vintage kit then haha!

All this "gasket this and gasket that" makes me kinda laugh.

Drums aren't furniture, they're meant to be played and used, but that's just my opinion.

Why buy something that you're so worried about getting banged? Or something you won't take to a show, and bring a crappy or lesser kit to a job (because that's what a gig is)?

That's just not on my radar at all. Not playing a great instrument on a job is insane to me, and I see it all the time. JMO.

Homeularis

Gold Member
Where has Ludwig stated that about the resonance?

News to me.

The Black is pretty durable. Never get scratches or dents in my hoops.

I use the Die Cast claws on all my bass drums too.

Homeularis--don't ever get a vintage kit then haha!

All this "gasket this and gasket that" makes me kinda laugh.

Drums aren't furniture, they're meant to be played and used, but that's just my opinion.

Why buy something that you're so worried about getting banged? Or something you won't take to a show, and bring a crappy or lesser kit to a job (because that's what a gig is)?

That's just not on my radar at all. Not playing a great instrument on a job is insane to me, and I see it all the time. JMO.
Dont worry, The new stuff is too nice and Im not down to go backwards.

8Mile

Platinum Member
What finish are you getting ? I'd gone with Silver Glass Glitter and so glad I did...
White Marine Pearl!

I'm dying to get the kit. It's been 9 weeks now and I have another 2 1/2 weeks to go before they arrive. I honestly think my local drum shop either messed up the order or took my deposit and spent it on something else in the interim. Ludwig said 4-6 weeks and suddenly, at the last minute, I hear there was a "mistake" and it's going to be another 4 weeks. This after I've already waited 7 weeks. Just seems fishy to me.

Anyway, thanks all for the feedback.

RodneyZepa

White Marine Pearl!

I'm dying to get the kit. It's been 9 weeks now and I have another 2 1/2 weeks to go before they arrive. I honestly think my local drum shop either messed up the order or took my deposit and spent it on something else in the interim. Ludwig said 4-6 weeks and suddenly, at the last minute, I hear there was a "mistake" and it's going to be another 4 weeks. This after I've already waited 7 weeks. Just seems fishy to me.

Same scenario when I ordered my kit earlier this year but was well worth the wait...WMP will be killer...Just sat down at my Ludwigs and, yes, it was well worth the wait...Gotta' love 'em...

Just Drums

Silver Member
White Marine Pearl!

My experience with Ludwig is that have ALWAYS..and I do mean ALWAYS deliver early. I've never...ever...had one late kit delivered. And we're probably talking 50-75 kits.

Wrapped kits only take 4-5 weeks. The whole thing seems fishy to me too...

8Mile

Platinum Member
Okay, the latest wrinkle in my saga to get these drums:

The drums arrived today! :)
But the hardware didn't. :(

The hardware was shipped with a separate ticket and won't arrive for a couple more days. Okay, disappointing, but I still wanted to take the drums home. So as I'm inspecting them, I'm struck by how gorgeous they are. Really beautiful drums! I unwrap and look at each one and then I get to the bass drum and notice damage. The hoop on one side is cracked and the claw is bent badly with the chrome chipped off. Looks like a clear-cut case of droppage on that side of the bass drum. I couldn't tell if the shell was damaged but it looked like it may have been squeezed out of round a bit by the bent hoop.

So, I left without any drums and the owner is going to call Ludwig tomorrow to get my hoop fixed and inspect the shell to see if/what the damage is.

F**k me, ya know? Such a heartbreaking moment.

I also have a couple questions for those who have experience with these drums:

1) There is a visible seam where the wrap meets. It looks nice enough, but I thought I read somewhere that there is no such seam on these drums and that you can't tell where the wrap was joined. Which is true?

2) I only found a shell date inside the snare drum, not any of the toms. Is that how it works with Ludwig?

Considering the ridiculous problems I've had getting this kit, I'm paranoid and want to make sure I'm getting the real deal.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Homeularis

Gold Member
Wow 8Mile, Thats just straight up wack. I feel for you man.
I dont know where you are buying from but if I were you, I would just bite the bullet and give ALL of the drums and hardware back, get your money back and go somewhere else. Thats a SUPER long time to wait.
Are they fully custom drums or something?.
That kinda damage is outa hand. It would take alot of force to crack a hoop and bend a claw. I wouldnt even trust that the drum is still true and solid.
Any good music store should only take a fraction of that time to ship your drums and hardware.
I got my drums from Dales Drum Shop in Harrisberg PA. They are huge, check em out on Ebay or U Tube and definately give them a call and see what they got. They have the best prices on the planet and it only took 5 business days to get me my drums. From PA to CA.

RodneyZepa

The cracked hoop and bent claw sounds like droppage, but, were the drums not in a box ? I got all 5 of my drums in seperate "Ludwig" shipping boxes which were packed with "Air bags" and plastic wrap...They sent me the wrong size kick (Ludwig) and had me hold on too it until the right one was shipped to me..I then exchanged kicks...The first thing I had noticed on my shells was the spot where the wrap meets up, but, It was a nice tight, straight fit and wrapped so that the "line" was in least noticeable spot...It is wrap so that is what to expect...My Gretsch kit has no "line" as it is nitrocelluar coated (or whatever)...I'm sure the shop you got kit from will get you a new kick if warranted and it sounds like all of the other drums passed inspection by yourself...It is a drag when this kind of thing happens but it can happen to any instrument although that is our greatest fear...When things are rectified, you will forget the glitches and when you tune those bastards up, you will love that kit...Seriously...The Ludwig Classic Maples are very cool and I would still say you'd made best choice..Please post some photos as I'd love to see the White Marine Pearl...All the Best...

8Mile

Platinum Member
The cracked hoop and bent claw sounds like droppage, but, were the drums not in a box ? I got all 5 of my drums in seperate "Ludwig" shipping boxes which were packed with "Air bags" and plastic wrap...They sent me the wrong size kick (Ludwig) and had me hold on too it until the right one was shipped to me..I then exchanged kicks...The first thing I had noticed on my shells was the spot where the wrap meets up, but, It was a nice tight, straight fit and wrapped so that the "line" was in least noticeable spot...It is wrap so that is what to expect...My Gretsch kit has no "line" as it is nitrocelluar coated (or whatever)...I'm sure the shop you got kit from will get you a new kick if warranted and it sounds like all of the other drums passed inspection by yourself...It is a drag when this kind of thing happens but it can happen to any instrument although that is our greatest fear...When things are rectified, you will forget the glitches and when you tune those bastards up, you will love that kit...Seriously...The Ludwig Classic Maples are very cool and I would still say you'd made best choice..Please post some photos as I'd love to see the White Marine Pearl...All the Best...
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm pretty disappointed but reading sympathetic words from fellow drummers helps ease the pain.

The drums were out of the box when I came to pick 'em up. They had put the factory heads on for me, but they were still individually wrapped in the plastic bags, which I removed from each drum when I inspected them. The guys at the shop did comment on the padding in the boxes and that it must have been a hell of a drop to cause that kind of damage with all that protection.

Freakin' unbelievable.

RodneyZepa

Don't mean to stir anything up, but, kinda odd that the drums were out of boxes (To install heads) before you got there...My drums were in sealed boxes with factory heads already on...The heads were loose but I do beleive that's how Manufacturers send them...The drum shop should take care of this for you and Ludwig does have the 3 year warranty on the Classic Maple drums...The Warranty was stuck in one of the boxes with my kit...

8Mile

Platinum Member
Yeah, everything about this seems odd to me, too. I've known the owner for a long time but I wonder what the heck is going on sometimes. His place is listed on Ludwig's Conn-Selmer site as an authorized dealer and he's been in business for a long time. He does a lot of business with Ludwig and I would like to believe everything is on the up and up, but who knows.

All I know is, I want this all resolved to my satisfaction SOON.