ludwig cavern club fab 4

eboburritp

Hey I'm new to posting on this board, but I read through it a lot. It's really helpful so maybe you guys can help me on this one.

I'm in a three piece indie/punk band. I have this 7x13 maple snare drum and some pretty big cymbals. I want to update my kit, and the ludwig cavern club fab 4 seems really cool but a lot of people give it negative reviews, because its not "really" vintage.

Luckily I'm just looking for a high quality/affordable drum kit. I'm not seeking the sound of the original cavern club kit or the original paint job. Do you guys have one or know anything about it? I know it's not a typical style for rock music, but I want to be a little different. I don't know. I'd appreciate some feedback!

-eboburrit[o]

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think it's a great kit, but I'm partial to Ludwig too. They are good drums, built well. It's not a sharp bearing edge cut and that helps the tone. You can't go wrong with those.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I have the 2012 Club Date Se kit in 13, 16, 22, sizes with matching 5x14 snare.
I also have numerous vintage kits from ludwig, Gretsch, and Slingerland.
I gig often with my Club Date kit and I will tell you that it can stand its ground with the vintage kits. The modern Club Date and Cavern Club kits are on par with their vintage counterparts.
Don't let anyone tell you any different.
These kits have a warm vintage tone that is unmistakeable when compared to modern sharp edge kits. If you want vintage sound for a budget price then go for the Cavern Club.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Hey I'm new to posting on this board, but I read through it a lot. It's really helpful so maybe you guys can help me on this one.

I'm in a three piece indie/punk band. I have this 7x13 maple snare drum and some pretty big cymbals. I want to update my kit, and the ludwig cavern club fab 4 seems really cool but a lot of people give it negative reviews, because its not "really" vintage.

Luckily I'm just looking for a high quality/affordable drum kit. I'm not seeking the sound of the original cavern club kit or the original paint job. Do you guys have one or know anything about it? I know it's not a typical style for rock music, but I want to be a little different. I don't know. I'd appreciate some feedback!

-eboburrit[o]
Negative reviews because it's not really vintage.........what does that even mean?They are Basicly the Club Date series of drums,and they got excellent reviews.They also don't have a paint job,the shells are wrapped,not painted.

There also isn't an original cavern club kit.Both Pete Best and Ringo used Ludwig kits in oyster blue pearl,and oyster black pearl.So the cavern club reference is just a marketing thing,since neither of those kits is remotely the same as a the cavern club Ludwig kit.

But they do compare favorable in sound,and as Bob said,can hold their own with vintage gear,and the hardware seem to be more robust also.

Steve B

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Negative reviews because it's not really vintage.........what does that even mean?They are Basicly the Clud Date series of drums,and they got excellent reviews.They also don't have a paint job,the shells are wrapped,not painted.

There also isn't an original cavern club kit.Both Pete Best and Ringo used Ludwig kits in oyster blue pearl,and oyster black pearl.So the cavern club reference is just a marketing thing,since neither of those kits is remotely the same as a the cavern club Ludwig kit.

But they do compare favorable in sound,and as Bob said,can hold their own with vintage gear,and the hardware seem to be more robust also.

Steve B
Personally, I think these new Club Dates are actually better than what you could've gotten back in the day anyway. Quality control wasn't what it is today, and drumsets coming out now are much more consistent. I had long considered getting one of these Club Dates as a second kit to my Classic Maples, but I went in a different direction.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I don't own any vintage drums to compare but I have a Club Date SE and I love it. One of my favorite kits I've ever owned. Don't worry about it. Maybe try one first if possible, though.

tracer

I wish Ludwig had not discontinued the short lugs in the Element se series. Hope they will return with a "conventional" short lug with a gum/cherry shell....