Ludwig Black Beauty - New 8-Lug vs. Classic 10-Lug

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'd rather have seen a reproduction of their 30's era single-flange'ed, tube-lug'ed, brass-hardware drum than a watered down and economized version of their modern feature instrument. I think they had something like this in 2018-ish, but not by Ludwig.

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Great video. I prefer more focused snares, so the 10 lug for me still, but good of Ludwig to listen and reintroduce the 8 lug version. I’m sure they will sell the heck out of them.

jdavis

Yeah, both sounded great. The 8 lug seemed a little bigger / fatter sounding. Wouldn't mind checking one out. (y)

drumhedd

vindrums

I really enjoy these comparison videos. I'm surprised that I actually prefer the 10 lug in this comparison.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I really like the 8 lug snare, sounds more open. I suppose one could make do with a 10 lug black beauty ;)

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Yeah, both sounded great. The 8 lug seemed a little bigger / fatter sounding. Wouldn't mind checking one out. (y)
The less lugs, the more the ability the drum to get a deeper sound/tuning. Has something to do with the physics of tightening the surface area of the drum head. I really like the 8-lug version as well!