Ludwig Black Beauty crack in side (warranty question)

Update: When the Ludwig rep said these are on backorder, we wasn't kidding! There are NONE available anywhere. I've seen a few B-stocks here and there, but I want an A stock. Here's to waiting!
That sucks but they only make limited quantities of Black Beauties each year.

Fingers crossed you get a positive result sooner, rather than later!

Thank goodness you have a backup BB. No doubt the 6.5" sounds amazing.

Seems to me that drum manufacturers are generally pretty good at standing behind their products these days. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a new set of Ludwig maples and this example of customer service raises my interest level substantially. Only drawback to buying a set would be the flak I'd take if I start talking up Ludwig drums all of a sudden :giggle:

Seems to me that drum manufacturers are generally pretty good at standing behind their products these days. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing a new set of Ludwig maples and this example of customer service raises my interest level substantially. Only drawback to buying a set would be the flak I'd take if I start talking up Ludwig drums all of a sudden :giggle:
With a Gretsch avatar and a Yamaha name, plus we now know it’s about their audio gear for you, you will probably be ok ;)

No shame here. I've had 2 Pork Pie USA drum sets and about 3 snares. I'm down to 1 PP snare. I now have 3 Ludwig kits and one old Slingerland.

And I don't have any hits.

@PorkPieGuy : Did the Ludwig guy offer any ideas on how that crack got there?

It looks like it propagated from the vent hole. Could it have started as a tiny crack that was behind the badge, and then increased in size as it was played?

Also, is your hard-shell case padded?

Confused Home Videos GIF by Four Rest Films

It looks like it propagated from the vent hole. Could it have started as a tiny crack that was behind the badge, and then increased in size as it was played?

Confused Home Videos GIF by Four Rest Films
That’s Martin’s theory. Plausible for sure.

Reactions: Jml
...just guessing.....the punch for the vent hole was dull and caused a stress fracture.
14 x 8..?.....nice........."my......that's a big one"
hope you get your "A" soon...

the punch for the vent hole was dull and caused a stress fracture
And it propagated over time & use. Perhaps. The crack is a perfect line, clean with no shrapnel. I think one of Martin's finale rim shot flams blew out the shell.

I'm almost wondering if there was a small "flea bite" when they pressed in the grommet from the badge and that the crack developed from playing. Yes, my case is padded. I used a hard shell SKB case, and there's plenty of padding on the inside.

Never seen anything like that on a Ludwig metal drum. Glad Ludwig is going to make it right!

That’s just so weird. Probably someone who works with sheet metal could explain how this could happen. I’ve never seen a straight-line crack in a thin piece of metal

Reactions: jda
UPDATE: I received a shipping label to send it back this past Friday. Mailed it off on Monday. Tuesday evening, I get an email stating that the box arrived at the warehouse, it's been inspected, and they are replacing my snare. It's backordered, but I was told that mine would be a priority, so I'm moved up in line.

I'm a huge fan on buying used, but man, the treatment Ludwig has given me on this issue has me rethinking that! Communication has been stellar as well as service.

UPDATE: I received a shipping label to send it back this past Friday. Mailed it off on Monday. Tuesday evening, I get an email stating that the box arrived at the warehouse, it's been inspected, and they are replacing my snare. It's backordered, but I was told that mine would be a priority, so I'm moved up in line.

I'm a huge fan on buying used, but man, the treatment Ludwig has given me on this issue has me rethinking that! Communication has been stellar as well as service.
That is because you are A stock ;).

Back