Ludwig Baseball Bat Installation Location on Snare Drum

I have an old vintage refurbished 6-lug Ludwig wood snare drum. I want to install a baseball bat tone muffler. On this drum, however, the mounting holes have been doweled and lacquered over, but it looks like the location for it was in the wrong place from the beginning (see attached pix).

So, here's the question:
Is it better to drill new holes and install the muffler where it's SUPPOSED to go or should I use the pre-existing doweled holes to keep the shell more pristine, but putting the tone control in the "wrong" place?

I have several Ludwig snares and I've also studied many pictures of older and newer models. They all seem to have the tone control mounted between one set of lugs to the right of front center (right of the badge if you're sitting behind the drum with badge facing forward). On this drum, however, the tone control was originally mounted in between the same lugs as the badge. Has anyone seen other vintage Ludwig 6-lug wood snare drums with the tone control mounted on the same area as the badge?

Thanks!!

Paul

Attachments

• Inside View.jpg
    Inside View.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Inside View 2.jpg
    Inside View 2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Original Position - Incorrect.jpg
    Original Position - Incorrect.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Correct Position.jpg
    Correct Position.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 15
Not trying to discourage you but I didn’t care for the muffler. It looks sweet but it disengages when you lay into the drum if it is not fully engaged.

Well, full disclosure: I'm actually the one who removed the original muffler on that drum 30 years ago! haha I removed them off of all my Ludwig drums, including toms. Recently, though, I acquired a 60's Chrome snare and started using the tone control. I was quite surprised how well it worked esp on recordings (I own a commercial recording studio). Since then, I reinstalled one on a chrome snare and really like it. I also have two other Chrome snares that have the round muffler. Lately, I've been using them and find they work better than moon gel, duct tape, etc.... Who knew?

PS: I replaced the original with the Canopus one. It has detents in 3 spots and stays put. Also, I haven't had issues with the original muffler moving around, but then again, I'm not hitting super hard....

Wow, I had a SS 6.5 with it and a 5 Supra that just didn’t work on them

Wow, I had a SS 6.5 with it and a 5 Supra that just didn’t work on them
Maybe they needed to be tightened? Those springs and washers can sometimes get over-exercised and loosen. You could also replace with the round tone controls - I think they have the same hole configuration.

Seems like everyone is afraid of extra holes like they're going to bite. I understand if the drum's been drilled with different pattern/distance holes to accommodate after market lugs, but 2 holes? Doweled at that. If you're looking to resell and offer the drum with no additional holes then mount the tone control where it was when you got it. As ineedaclutch said above.....use the doweled holes.

I am curious as to why Ludwig mounted the tone control there? Did someone make a mistake? Was there a series of these snares released with the tone control in the "wrong" location? Did that worker get fired? Maybe there's a backstory there somewhere!

A guy named Bertram was installing the hardware on the 6 lug Pioneers from their inception through about 1967. This not only included screwing the lugs, strainer, butt, and mufflers to the shell but actually drilling the holes. There were a lot of "mistakes" made and many drums returned. It was later learned that as the day progressed the "mistakes" were more frequent. Bertram's supervisor, a Mr. Cromwell took the initiative to "keep an eye" on Bertram one day to the extent of following him to the locker room, men's room and even to the local lunch counter. What Mr. Cromwell discovered was Bertram's love for rye whiskey. As a kind man working for a well established company, Mr. Cromwell confronted Bertram and convinced him to join AA. For the next 14 years there were no mistakes on the 6 lug Ludwig Pioneer snare drums. Because yours is obviously a "mistake", you have a bona fida collectors piece from the hey days of W. F. Ludwig. Congratulations.

Wow! That's quite a story. Now I have a major dilemma... haha! I'm glad Bertram took care of himself - probably saved his life! Thank you for sharing this!

I always have a conflict between keeping a drum stock vs improving it. It would be an improvement to put the baseball bat in the "correct" spot, but OTOH..... I'll keep reading all of your opinions and then make a decision soon and let you all know!

A guy named Bertram was installing the hardware on the 6 lug Pioneers from their inception through about 1967. This not only included screwing the lugs, strainer, butt, and mufflers to the shell but actually drilling the holes. There were a lot of "mistakes" made and many drums returned. It was later learned that as the day progressed the "mistakes" were more frequent. Bertram's supervisor, a Mr. Cromwell took the initiative to "keep an eye" on Bertram one day to the extent of following him to the locker room, men's room and even to the local lunch counter. What Mr. Cromwell discovered was Bertram's love for rye whiskey. As a kind man working for a well established company, Mr. Cromwell confronted Bertram and convinced him to join AA. For the next 14 years there were no mistakes on the 6 lug Ludwig Pioneer snare drums. Because yours is obviously a "mistake", you have a bona fida collectors piece from the hey days of W. F. Ludwig. Congratulations.

Wow what a great story

I say take a cue from Bertram and knock down a bottle of rye whiskey and then make your decision! Great story!

I am curious as to why Ludwig mounted the tone control there? Did someone make a mistake? Was there a series of these snares released with the tone control in the "wrong" location? Did that worker get fired? Maybe there's a backstory there somewhere!
Since it's on the opposite side but everything else is correct, the shell was probably upside down either when drilled or having its snare bed cut.

Back