Ludwig Atlas Mount vs. DW DWSM Claw Hook Accessory Clamp

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I am looking to add a cymbal L-arm to my bass drum to hold a small splash to the reso side of the bass drum near my rack tom, "Buddy Rich Style". I don't want to drill a bracket into my bass drum shell. I have been researching options and other than a Danmar clamp on cymbal holder (which doesn't even have any eye bolt where the arm fits into the clamp), it looks like the best options are the Ludwig Atlas Mount or the DW Claw Hook Accessory Clamp. If anyone has any experience with either mount, I would really appreciate your input and feedback.

The Ludwig Atlas mount replaces a lug on your tom or bass drum. The hole spacing is adjustable on the Atlas mount, so it should fit most two hole lug configurations. The top of the lug is thicker and holds an accessory L-arm from 9.5 mm to 12.7 mm. The "default" is 12.7 mm, but it will hold smaller arms, it comes with two plastic sleeves (9.5 mm & 10.5 mm) to put over smaller arms. I've heard that it limits the transmission of vibrations to whatever it's holding, which is good since its just a small splash. I've heard the drawbacks are that it adds some weight and makes it a bit harder to fit in cases. Also, I've heard that if you're not using a 12.7 mm arm, the plastic sleeves don't really work that great. Plus, it's $50, which is a bit steep, especially when it doesn't include any L-rod or other accessory arm with it.

The DW Claw Hook Accessory Clamp looks like a claw hook and attaches to your bass drum like a normal claw hook, but it also "grips" the back of the hoop as well as the front (in this case, the "back" of the hoop is actually the aluminum collar of the head). To me, the advantages of this over the Atlas mount are you can put the clamp wherever you want (not limited to where lug placement is), and it is also less than half the price ($20) of the Atlas mount, and includes an L-arm for cowbells or percussion, not for a cymbal, sadly. It can also be left in place for transport and is low profile enough to not change how the drum fits into a case. You also don't have to take off a head to install it. My only concern about this would be since it also grips the back collar of the head, would it change the tuning or tension of the bass drum head in that spot? That's one reason I didn't like the Pearl I.S.S. Mounts. As you tightened the hooks onto the hoops of your drum, it forced the steel body up against the aluminum collar of the head, and therefore changed the tuning/pitch of the drum. I'm not sure it would be as noticeable on a bass drum as on a smaller tom, but it is still a concern for me.

I appreciate your advice on this, including drawbacks and advantages to both.

Thanks,

V

Attachments

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
In principal, I'd rather have something as heavy as a ride cymbal mounted to the shell, than the hoop, which - if wood - can tweak. Yeah, I know that back in the day, cymbals and toms used to be mounted on the hoop. Guess what: they stopped doing that more than 60 years ago!!

Ahem...

As for the DW hoop mount changing the tuning of the head, I don't think that would be an issue. The clamp holds the hoop and head rim together, so there should be minimal movement of the head, assuming there are enough lugs on the drum to hold the head securely. (There are.)

But a splash should be fine on the DW mount. :)

Bermuda

dboomer

I've only used the Atlas mount to mount a tom and frankly I was always worried a bit about the weight it was carrying. If someone bounced into that tom it may have cracked the shell around the bolts even though I added even larger washers. A splash doesn't weigh much but it you beat the snot out of it, it could be problematic.

I used the DW mount on my kick hoop and mounted a pair of 12" closed hats where you moist often see a cowbell. I added the DW cymbal tilter from a dog bone over top of the L arm and used a conventional nut on the top

To your question, yes it will detune the bass drum if you crank it down enough. I usually found it held just fine without altering the pitch but you may have to pay a little attention. I think the DW solution is more flexible and offers more adjustment but YMMV. Funny thing is that the DW piece is uncharacteristically cheap (by DW standards) for any DW hardware. I wonder why?

G

Ghostnote

You could try combining that DW claw with an ATLAS cymbal tilter. The tilter is a small cymbal stand that mounts of a 12.7mm rod or L arm and comes in long, short, and telescoping.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Thusly Bob? Lol. I like it.

Bob that's a pretty cool mod for the snare drum. It saves a stand. But since I have to carry a hardware bag anyway, I think I'd prefer a regular snare stand. It seems like getting the perfect snare angle would be more difficult with that mod, but I don't really know. Looking at your avi it appears that you gig your Players kit. Unless you have a brick wall in your house lol. How often do you use it? And while I'm asking, how many times a month do you normally play out? I'm just curious. I use mine at least once and sometimes twice a month.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Thusly Bob? Lol. I like it.

Bob that's a pretty cool mod for the snare drum. It saves a stand. But since I have to carry a hardware bag anyway, I think I'd prefer a regular snare stand. It seems like getting the perfect snare angle would be more difficult with that mod, but I don't really know. Looking at your avi it appears that you gig your Players kit. Unless you have a brick wall in your house lol. How often do you use it? And while I'm asking, how many times a month do you normally play out? I'm just curious. I use mine at least once and sometimes twice a month.
If Trump can say Bigly I can say Thusly. :) I only gig from April through Oct. A few times a month. I use my player kit only for certain venues. about 4 times per year. I sometimes use it for an away from home practice session. That's my 65 Slingerland kit in my Ave.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Greetings,

I am looking to add a cymbal L-arm to my bass drum to hold a small splash to the reso side of the bass drum near my rack tom, "Buddy Rich Style". I don't want to drill a bracket into my bass drum shell. I have been researching options and other than a Danmar clamp on cymbal holder (which doesn't even have any eye bolt where the arm fits into the clamp), it looks like the best options are the Ludwig Atlas Mount or the DW Claw Hook Accessory Clamp. If anyone has any experience with either mount, I would really appreciate your input and feedback.

The Ludwig Atlas mount replaces a lug on your tom or bass drum. The hole spacing is adjustable on the Atlas mount, so it should fit most two hole lug configurations. The top of the lug is thicker and holds an accessory L-arm from 9.5 mm to 12.7 mm. The "default" is 12.7 mm, but it will hold smaller arms, it comes with two plastic sleeves (9.5 mm & 10.5 mm) to put over smaller arms. I've heard that it limits the transmission of vibrations to whatever it's holding, which is good since its just a small splash. I've heard the drawbacks are that it adds some weight and makes it a bit harder to fit in cases. Also, I've heard that if you're not using a 12.7 mm arm, the plastic sleeves don't really work that great. Plus, it's $50, which is a bit steep, especially when it doesn't include any L-rod or other accessory arm with it.

The DW Claw Hook Accessory Clamp looks like a claw hook and attaches to your bass drum like a normal claw hook, but it also "grips" the back of the hoop as well as the front (in this case, the "back" of the hoop is actually the aluminum collar of the head). To me, the advantages of this over the Atlas mount are you can put the clamp wherever you want (not limited to where lug placement is), and it is also less than half the price ($20) of the Atlas mount, and includes an L-arm for cowbells or percussion, not for a cymbal, sadly. It can also be left in place for transport and is low profile enough to not change how the drum fits into a case. You also don't have to take off a head to install it. My only concern about this would be since it also grips the back collar of the head, would it change the tuning or tension of the bass drum head in that spot? That's one reason I didn't like the Pearl I.S.S. Mounts. As you tightened the hooks onto the hoops of your drum, it forced the steel body up against the aluminum collar of the head, and therefore changed the tuning/pitch of the drum. I'm not sure it would be as noticeable on a bass drum as on a smaller tom, but it is still a concern for me.

I appreciate your advice on this, including drawbacks and advantages to both.

Thanks,

V

The DW hoop clamp doesn't fit all BD hoops, no good on hoops w/o a rounded edge, check it out first.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I have the DW bass drum hoop clamp. I used it for a cowbell.
I don't like it. It made the set resonate too much when the cowbell was hit and when I took it off I noticed it mucked the hoop a little.

mike d

Silver Member
I use a dw hoop clamp to hold a snare drum on my Sonor Player kit. The hoops are metal and thusly much stronger than a wooden hoop.
For a ride cymbal I would prefer a Ludwig Atlas mount or a shell mount.
Gawd that picture made me cringe! ... until you said you had metal hoops, then I just kinda cringed a little. :)
Back to OP though, are there NO other options for arm mounting to another stand, or, why not just get another stand? I have a Tama extension that works great for a 12" splash. And a Pearl Cow Bell mount that is the same pricipal, but I really would prefer to not have that kind of abuse going into my drums, and I use 5As and I don't bash much.

vyacheslav

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I should've mentioned in my first post that I will be using this on a vintage kit from the 60's. I know I could use a boom arm that is clamped to another floor stand or another solution such as that, but to me personally, I don't like the look of boom stands or boom arms on vintage kits. I want to keep the kit's mojo as much as I can, and keep the "clean" vintage look (not tons of hardware or accessories). I know it's all a matter of personal preference.

And I'll only be using it to mount a small splash, 6" or 8". I never bash anything when I play, let alone a small splash like that. It will just be a flick of the wrist each time I hit it, so stability shouldn't be an issue for me.

Obviously, I'll need to buy the L arm separately. Looks like the cheapest option for that is the Gibraltar.

vyacheslav

I use a dw hoop clamp to hold a snare drum on my Sonor Player kit. The hoops are metal and thusly much stronger than a wooden hoop.
For a ride cymbal I would prefer a Ludwig Atlas mount or a shell mount.
Very cool concept! Do you notice if the bass drum or anything mounted on it (tom/ride etc.) transmits vibrations to the snare when the other bass drum mounted items (or the bass drum itself) are hit?

Also, do you notice any change in the sound of the snare (sustain, sensitivity etc.) now that it has a bracket directly drilled into it supporting the weight of itself?

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I use a DW hoop clamp with a DW bass drum cymbal arm on my Collector's Ki to get my splash set up in a Buddy Rich style:

Works flawlessly.