Ludwig Acrolites......Reverse Economics?

If you could only own one Ludwig snare, either an acro, supra or black beauty, which one would you choose? :unsure:
Acro because they don't flake like supras....and the black beauty...well it's way over priced. I have a 1914 Ludwig & Ludwig 5x15 nickel on brass snare drum that will run circles over the BB any day. Over a hundred years old and kicks ass.

If you could only own one Ludwig snare, either an acro, supra or black beauty, which one would you choose? :unsure:
I could live with any of those as my only snare to be honest. I would have to give a slight edge to the BB, simply because I can get a few more sound options and honk out of the brass. 2nd place would be the Acro, 3rd would be the Supra.

Throw in a 20x14 bass drum and I am good to go.

Acro because they don't flake like supras....and the black beauty...well it's way over priced. I have a 1914 Ludwig & Ludwig 5x15 nickel on brass snare drum that will run circles over the BB any day. Over a hundred years old and kicks ass.
Any pics? :) (y)

I imagine that the lewd wig fans might have something to say about this?

WE SURE DO!! :mad:
I'm kidding. I'm not really a brand whore when it comes to drums. Just about every manufacturer makes good drums. I just happened across a nice set of Ludwig Classic Maples back when I was a starving musician and it fit my limited budget. They still sound good (to me, anyway) and served my purpose well over the years so I haven't felt the need to get anything else since.

"Legend rather then worth" sums up my experience with pretty much anything Ludwig.

Typically, things don't become legendary without reason. However, I have heard of QC issues with Ludwigs in the past. I guess I'm fortunate enough to not have experienced any of those.

Acro because they don't flake like supras....

How long does it take for a Supra to flake? My LM411 is at least 50 years old and still looks like brand new, and it's been around the block a few times. AND it's super sensitive. ;) I'm assuming it won't be flaking in my lifetime if it's made it this far.
If I could pick up a flaky supra for a steal, I'd jump all over it as I have some ideas for a custom finish.

I have a 1914 Ludwig & Ludwig 5x15 nickel on brass snare drum that will run circles over the BB any day. Over a hundred years old and kicks ass.

+1 on the pics. I love old snare drums.
And I agree about the BB being over priced.

Yep. We are to blame. Whenever someone comes along and asks if a cheap ol' Acrolite is any good, we tout how great it is and worth every penny. The secret is out.
And then they find out how lousy the strainers are after the fact. hehe

Yep. We are to blame. Whenever someone comes along and asks if a cheap ol' Acrolite is any good, we tout how great it is and worth every penny. The secret is out.
I was going to say, everyone that found one for $100. talked about how great they were, the used ones, and I never saw one for less than $150. If you want one you will pay.

In Europe you can choose between an old Acrolite or Supra in mediocre condition and a new Tama Starphonic/DS Drums Aluminium/you name it. They're basically the same price.
And new Ludwigs are just ridiculously overpriced! Don't get me wrong, they have great shells, but heads and wires are crap, the rest of the hardware is acceptable, in a best case scenario.

Here you go.......

Dang John that's a killer snare. How long have you had it? With instruments that age I always try to imagine the history of it - who first bought it...where it lived it's life - what's been played on it, etc. So cool.

Dang John that's a killer snare. How long have you had it? With instruments that age I always try to imagine the history of it - who first bought it...where it lived it's life - what's been played on it, etc. So cool.
Have been in possession little over a year. Son got it for me at a garage sale in California for $25. No history on it, but I've done a lot of research into model and age. It is a real joy to play and sound beats any brass I've heard.

Have been in possession little over a year. Son got it for me at a garage sale in California for $25. No history on it, but I've done a lot of research into model and age. It is a real joy to play and sound beats any brass I've heard.

Good find boy, hope you bought him a beer or two for that one!

A couple of years ago I bought two mint Acrolites for less than $120 each. Those days are long gone. A '66 Acro fetched $350 not that long ago. I'd say the average price now is $150.00 with nice ones over $200 easily.

Back