Ludwig Acrolite

braincramp

Gold Member
I just ordered a acrolite from GC due to all the positive posts on this site and others. I'm sure I had one back in the 70's- 80's if you were a teenage drummer in the suburbs you were assigned one but those decades are kind of a blur. I just know I was always happy with the sound of my snare in those days, anyway how is the tuning range? I'll be using single ply coated batter and hazy 300 resonant heads. Why are these drums so affordable if there a seamless cast aluminum? Is it due to supply? Looking for any tips anyone has on these popular snares.

Kenny Allyn

if you were a teenage drummer in the suburbs you were assigned one ... Is it due to supply?
Pretty much it ...

There is just no telling how many are out there, here is a picture of the one I bought @ E-auction last year for $99.00, and you can see it's basically a high school issue time machine original heads, sticks and all, looks as though it was unplayed ... On the used market they are hard to beat as the huge supply tends to make them a bargain!

Great drums too!

Bull

Gold Member
I got an absolutely mint Black Galaxy for $75 on Craigslist. It's actually my main snare at the moment. I've got a hazy Ambassador on the bottom and a Vintage Emp on the top. It actually stays in tune better than my Coliseums or my Pearl.

Last edited:

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
I had a 70's Blue and Olive badge Acrolite for a while, I got it for free and sold it for $100.

The low cost is b/c of the over abundance of them out there. Frankly they made a TON. The Acrolite was Ludwig's base model snard snare, if it wasn't offically a beginner's snare I know a bunch of older guys that all started on one. Though it was the same shell they used in their higher models, it just didn't have the fancy chrome finish.

As for prices it all depends on the year, the earlier ones are more... but even then your talking like $150-200 for a 60's. The 80's ones being the lowest.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I just ordered a acrolite from GC due to all the positive posts on this site and others. I'm sure I had one back in the 70's- 80's if you were a teenage drummer in the suburbs you were assigned one but those decades are kind of a blur. I just know I was always happy with the sound of my snare in those days, anyway how is the tuning range? I'll be using single ply coated batter and hazy 300 resonant heads. Why are these drums so affordable if there a seamless cast aluminum? Is it due to supply? Looking for any tips anyone has on these popular snares.
Love those Acrolites. I think it might be due to supply and demand. Ludwig dominated the educational market for decades, so there's millions of Ludwig drums in general on the planet. Yet, the Acrolite also suffers from the "It's not a Supraphonic" stigma - which is put forth by the ludicrous Ludwig elite crowd, so this keeps the used costs down. I tell you this much, I owned both at one time, and given the same heads and tuning (even though you're dealing with 8-lug versus 10-lug) the difference is negligible. In fact, I think the 8-lug has an increased sweet spot when you play it. Every 10-lug snare drum I've owned I noticed that to get "that sound" the spot in the middle of the head is much smaller than it is on an 8-lug drum.

I'm wondering what an Acrolite would sound like with diecast hoops though. I never got around to trying it....

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Yet, the Acrolite also suffers from the "It's not a Supraphonic" stigma - which is put forth by the ludicrous Ludwig elite crowd, so this keeps the used costs down.
It was cheaper to make because of only having 8 lugs (how much of a difference could it really be though?) and no chrome.
Every Ludwig drummer (and other brand players) I know LOVES the Acro.
I've never actually come across the "it's not a Supraphonic" attitude in my area or people I've talked too, but I'm sure some people may feel that way.

Maybe they are going more by "re-sale" and not from a "it's a great sounding drum I want to have and play forever".

I have my 5" from 1975 and an '09 6.5. Both great drums, use them all the time.

I agree with you on the 8 lugs.

JohnPloughman

Silver Member
Picked up a keystone badge 65 Acro yesterday for a hundred. Still has the original baseball bat dampener intact.

Ive got 4 acrolites now. Every drummer should own one.

braincramp

Gold Member
Ordered it fri. from GC in Md. I'm in Pa sure hope its on my stoop when I get home tonight!!!!! I will try to post a pic and give a review

C

Crazy8s

My first snare drum was an Acrolite and after I put a few hours of fix up into it, it was awesome!

Every drummer should have one, and at under $100 it isn't hard to do. I no longer have mine as I donated to an older gentleman to cure his arthritis through playing the snare drum. Some day I will buy an Acrolite shell and do something magic to it!

:) (...and this is all the love I will give to Ludwig, cus I can't stand any of their drums except Black Beauty's and Acrolites...)

Kg_lee

This is my first Acrolite, I just finished restoring it. In my younger days I experimented with painting which looked ok, wish I never touched it. But anyway I took the time to restore this drum and this is how it turned out. It is powder coated in black chrome. I did look into anodizing it but the surface needs to be flawless so I went with powder coating.

silentsky

I've got a Blue & Olive badge 5" x 14" Acrolite that my mom picked up at an auction for 20 bucks about 12 years ago. Lately I've preferred it over my almost new Classic Maple snare.

braincramp

Gold Member
Got it the other day and love it, soon as I hit it it brought back memories of the 70's and 80's when I used one. I left the head alone they were in great shape, it has a auquarian satin batter which is the 1st time I ever used one (nice sound). I did put a set of puresounds on it that made a noticable improvement over the ludwigs with 2 missing wires. I can't believe how good it sounds for the price. It will for sure be my back-up/practice set snare drum. May even use it for recording one or two originals. Now its time to look for a new main snare...see new post help needed!!!!