Ludwig 6.5x14 Blacrolite vs 6.5x14 Supraphonic

tryggdahl

I'm really digging the dry, hard crack of a 6 1/2" deep aluminum drum. The question I have is: Is there a huge difference in sound between the Black Sparkle Acrolite 6.5" and the Supraphonic 6.5"? They're both made with a seamless aluminum shell, both have 10 lugs. None of my local stores have any Acrolites in stock....and the pitting issue with the Supraphonic bugs me. Argh.

Last edited:

Drummertist

Silver Member
I thought the Acrolites had 8 lugs...
EDIT: Never mind, just looked...it does have 10 lugs. I would think the sound would be a negligible difference. What intrigues me is why is the 6.5" supra $400 while the 6.5" acro is only $275. Are the shell thicknesses or hoops different? Bearing edges?

We need a hero! We need a Drummerworld member! We need...RogerLudwig!

Last edited:

tryggdahl

I'm fairly new to drumming, could you please explain what "internal muffling" is? I actually kinda like the black sparkle finish on the Acrolite.

CASP3Rdrummer

I've heard and read on here that the chrome tends to pit and flake off of aluminum drums.
i've read that the new ones don't have that issue... i've been reading about this snare cause i'm quite interested. i'm also really confused because i never thought a metal drum could be more used than a wooden...

chocorion

Internal muffling is basically a felt pad that can be turned on and off inside the drum via a knob on the outside of the shell below the hoop. Billy Gladstone snares have an AWESOME looking internal muffling system. www.langpercussion.com does replica gladstone snare drums since billy is no longer around (he passed in 1961). I've never heard them, but from pictures the quality looks great.

DrewTheShoe

Vintage Acrolite. If you really want to Black Galaxy, you can just get a USED one then, since that finish came out a little later.

But seriously check out eBay for Acrolites... They'll be just as good, and SO much cheaper.
Hell, I got my 5 x 14 for something like 120-130...

RogerLudwig

So my source close to Ludwig says that the shells are the same, as in "the shells are sonically the same."

the acro comes standard with acro lugs, the supra with imperials, and you can' t upgrade to tube lugs or a hammered shell on the acro.

They both come standard with a P-85 throw off, but you can upgrade to a p-86 on a custom ordered supra, while you have to have it installed after purchase on a acro.

The hoops are the same. the only real difference other than the lugs is the coating powdercoated vs. chrome plated.

My next big purchase will be one of these three. I thought is was going to be a BB or supra, but this thread has made me rethink my attitude towards acrolites.

If they are sonically the same, then it's going to take a great ear to tell the difference between a 6.5 supra and a 6.5 acro based on the difference in lugs and coating. I know there is a difference, but I'm not sure I could detect it.

I hope this helps.

PS: this also begs the question, "Is the brass supraphonic identical to the BB except for the coating?".

Last edited:

drumhammerer

Silver Member
I've heard the powder coating on the newer acros makes them sound different from the ones from the 60's and 70's, so I would imagine there would be a slight diffence in sound. However, the difference probably wouldn't be that much if the shells really are the same. The acro might be slightly drier. If you're really worried about the pitting, then I guess the choice is obvious.

Drummertist

Silver Member
Where did you hear this information at?

I'm getting an LM402 Supra soon with Tube Lugs, P-86 Throw-Off, and I'm not sure if I want it hammered.

RogerLudwig

Where did you hear this information at?

I'm getting an LM402 Supra soon with Tube Lugs, P-86 Throw-Off, and I'm not sure if I want it hammered.
Most of the information is available in the Ludwig Catalog, which you can download at http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/av8140.pdf

My local drum shop is owned by a fellow who was Ludwig's artist rep for 25 years before giving up the post last year, so I usually call him or his salespeople if I have a question on new equipment. I spoke with him about all of the issues I mentioned below, and those were his responses.

I own a hammered 400 with tube lugs, p-86, p-33; and I like the hammered aspect, both for a drier sound and a hot look.Your going to love yours regardless of whether you get the hammered or smooth shell. Good choice.

Attachments

Drummertist

Silver Member
Roger that is a beautiful snare. I do think I'll keep it smooth though. Mostly because I want that classic "Bonham" sound. Thanks!

ZLeyba

I've heard the powder coating on the newer acros makes them sound different from the ones from the 60's and 70's, so I would imagine there would be a slight diffence in sound. However, the difference probably wouldn't be that much if the shells really are the same. The acro might be slightly drier. If you're really worried about the pitting, then I guess the choice is obvious.
i've owned both and i gotta say that the sound difference is so slight, that one would not even notice. i actually sold the vintage one cause i like the black one better.

Pavlos

Am I reading this correct? There is almost no sound difference between acrolite and supraphonic snares? Then why pay extra for the Supra?

The above post seems to indicate comparing newer and older Acros, but the original post compares supras and acros.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Am I reading this correct? There is almost no sound difference between acrolite and supraphonic snares? Then why pay extra for the Supra?

The above post seems to indicate comparing newer and older Acros, but the original post compares supras and acros.
Looks...and different lugs/hardware.