Ludwig 3x13 maple piccolo (aka the "other" Ludwig student snare)

Mustion

I see a lot of these on eBay, Reverb, etc. Anyone have experience with them? I'm interested in picking one up for my "small" kit, it may be perfect for that situation. I know the Acrolite is the real Ludwig lightning in a bottle, but I wonder if this is at least somewhat comparable as another "do-all" utilitarian student snare. I do see that in the pics for many of them, the batter head is bottomed out against the top edge of the lugs which makes me wonder about its tuning range. But otherwise it looks like a good value when I consider the finish, strainer, muffler, etc... unless they're really just total dogs. Anybody?

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I just got rid of one. It's an ok snare if you find one cheap, but the bottoming out can be an issue on batter and reso depending on what heads you use. The strainer and butt are functional. The muffler goes out to near-middle of the head.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I think it depends on which model. The Rocker model does seem to have an issue with the head collar rubbing lug. But the "keystone" models do not have same issue. Here is pic of a keystone model.

Attachments

Soulfinger

Don´t know about the Ludwig but I can vouch for the Pearl piccolos. I have the 13x3 brass and it´s a killer drum. If you have a problem with bottoming out try Aquarian heads - these are shallower than other makes.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
+1 on the Pearl. I actually have both the Pearl and the Made in USA Ludwig with Keystone badge. The Pearl is a better musical instrument. It's one of best bargains around. The Ludwig is good, too, but Pearl sounds better.

I'm surprised people don't use these 13x3 snares more often. I think they have rep of being for tight high tunings. That's not the case at all. Tune the reso snare side head loose, tune batter to a medium tension, and keep snare wires on loose side and you have a very nice sounding snare for jazz or blues. Rolls sound killer. They are quiet when tuned this way, too. I find them to be very versatile.

Don´t know about the Ludwig but I can vouch for the Pearl piccolos. I have the 13x3 brass and it´s a killer drum. If you have a problem with bottoming out try Aquarian heads - these are shallower than other makes.

Mustion

I do have the ubiquitous black steel Pearl piccolo, have had it for years. I just wanted a wooden option for my "small gigs" kit as I imagine it would be less harsh than the Pearl. Was kind of intrigued by this Ludwig as it seems fairly common on the used market. But it sounds like it's not quite the value deal home run that its bigger aluminum cousin is...

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Keeping looking for the Keystone model. They don't have the issue with heads. And they're better made.

As far as less harsh: my Ludwig maple is actually a bit harsher than my Pearl brass. I am surprised. Same heads. I can tune the Pearl a lot lower, and as I do any harshness dissipates. I tune it as low as possible just above where I get too much ringing. I like the Pearl and I'm picky.

I do have the ubiquitous black steel Pearl piccolo, have had it for years. I just wanted a wooden option for my "small gigs" kit as I imagine it would be less harsh than the Pearl. Was kind of intrigued by this Ludwig as it seems fairly common on the used market. But it sounds like it's not quite the value deal home run that its bigger aluminum cousin is...