Ludwig 2012... Club Date is back!

larryz

Platinum Member
I think some may miss the point about the single lugs. Back in the 1960s it probably wasn't done for aesthetically-pleasing purposes but just to save Ludwig a few dollars in production. Ultimately, sound trumps any other concerns and the club date 60s version is thick and creamy. The attractiveness of the lug is way way down on the bottom of my Most Important Things list. Though the new 2012 version does not look as nice or well built as the 1960s version . Time will tell though.

Don't forget Sticks' recent road trip to the good ol' US of A for a black beauty snare. :)

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Yes, everyone has a past. I have spent most of my life trying to forget mine. :/
I can relate i've been trying to get rid of my past for years..lol

on a more serious note I do love the finishes on your Saturns they're very sweet kits.

Bonzolead

S

sticks4drums

I can relate i've been trying to get rid of my past for years..lol

on a more serious note I do love the finishes on your Saturns they're very sweet kits.

Bonzolead
Thanks buddy!
---------------------

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
You see it here, on this forum. As much as you try to prod people to buy "used" gear ... there's still a huge group that wants "brand new"​

I'd much, much rather find it used, but finding a used 12-14-20 usually runs more than this kit will be be. I've been looking for years.

Even if I pieced together random drums, by the time I buy a vintage wrap and any needed replacement parts, it's not cheaper anymore.

I Don't care how many drums someone has. You could add 10 pieces to that kit, and it would not help it in the least. I know people are lazy nowadays, and don't want to carry a lot of drums. That is fine.
Well, I don't think you're mega kit travels that often, does it? ;-)
But everything looks OLD! Why?
It's called being appropriate for the situation.

If it's a metal band, yes, I have double bass and power toms!

If it's an over the top prog thing, I can bring the big kit with 4 rack toms and 2 floors.

But if I'm playing with some older guys on old blues tunes, then I want a kit that looks old.
Yes, everyone has a past. I have spent most of my life trying to forget mine. :/
Maybe that's why I like really old stuff, it's older than me, from before my past had a chance to get screwed up.​

S

sticks4drums

I'd much, much rather find it used, but finding a used 12-14-20 usually runs more than this kit will be be. I've been looking for years.

Even if I pieced together random drums, by the time I buy a vintage wrap and any needed replacement parts, it's not cheaper anymore.

Well, I don't think you're mega kit travels that often, does it? ;-)

It's called being appropriate for the situation.

If it's a metal band, yes, I have double bass and power toms!

If it's an over the top prog thing, I can bring the big kit with 4 rack toms and 2 floors.

But if I'm playing with some older guys on old blues tunes, then I want a kit that looks old.

Maybe that's why I like really old stuff, it's older than me, from before my past had a chance to get screwed up.
No buddy. My Monster was built for me to have a blast on, and that I do. The thing would be a pain to move. I don't like blues, or the old rock, so I guess I don't have to worry about old looking drums.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Sticks, Gretsch has used the same lugs, rims etc... forever. It's part of what makes them "Gretsch". Same with Ludwig, Slingerland....

I really don't see how the lugs look "old". Just because they never changed them?
Why would they want to change them?

They're Art Deco, which is a great style IMO, and instantly recognizeable--which a company would want.

The Keystone lugs and brackets are new, on a whole new line.

You might not like them, but I wouldn't ever want them to change the look of the lug.
This is his M.O. He shows up on any thread related to Ludwig and posts negative garbage. It's childish and silly...and really kind of a drag. Yeah...sticksy...everyone gets it; you don't like Ludwig. Who cares? Maybe sticks and Les are the same person and just has nothing better to do?

Who is forcing you to buy Ludwig products? Sheebus...get over it.

S

sticks4drums

This is his M.O. He shows up on any thread related to Ludwig and posts negative garbage. It's childish and silly...and really kind of a drag. Yeah...sticksy...everyone gets it; you don't like Ludwig. Who cares? Maybe sticks and Les are the same person and just has nothing better to do?

Who is forcing you to buy Ludwig products? Sheebus...get over it.
Unlike you lately I am involved in many threads on here. If I don't like them, I am in titled to give my opinion without you being a nob and jumping on me about it. Just like I have to do for you and your opinion on Mapex. Remember. You were entitled to your opinion on the Saturn's. I got upset, and I was in the wrong. That was your opinion. Remember. And people call me a fanboy. WOW!

S

sticks4drums

I guess you missed all the threads about me praising the new Black Panther snare I bought. Be fair there dude. I comment on just about everything. Some things I like. Somethings I don't. Hope that is OK with you.

S

sticks4drums

I am starting to realize how silly I sounded when I got upset about what people thought about Mapex, Neil Peart, or anything else I had a positive opinion on. Watching some of you defend this company, is really quite childish, and silly. Really!

mikeo

if this kit has intermediate range quality shells... then it is already way ahead of the catalina jazz...mine came complete with chips dents and wobbles... i invested a lot of sweat equity fixing the shortcomings of this kit... i wanted a ludwig kit, but at the time they did not have an intemediate kit that i liked... mostly because of looks... looks like i will be selling my gretsch this year and getting a club date

S

sticks4drums

if this kit has intermediate range quality shells... then it is already way ahead of the catalina jazz...mine came complete with chips dents and wobbles... i invested a lot of sweat equity fixing the shortcomings of this kit... i wanted a ludwig kit, but at the time they did not have an intemediate kit that i liked... mostly because of looks... looks like i will be selling my gretsch this year and getting a club date
You do know that those aren't the only two companies that make a club kit, right!

S

sticks4drums

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but if you don't like the brand, why are you wasting your time? I personally can't stand Mapex or Yamaha or Tama or Pearl. My opinion of those drums, as "top quality" as they may be, is that they all sound and look the same: tin-sounding and bulky in style, so I intentionally stay away from threads regarding those drums. Seems like common sense to me...
So you should only post if you agree with everyone. Right! Doesn't make sense to me. So you have a thing against none American made drums. I think this is what all this anger stems from. Americans love American drums, and get defensive about them. I think I am getting it. I hate to break it to U all, but there is more to the world than the USA.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Do you like the way that new kit looks? Honestly?
No...all down to the single bow-tie lugs. Never been a fan....probably the main reason why I don't have an Acro. And I don't like the look of them on the Club Dates either....new or old.

But I'm not writing off an entire company based on my aesthetic viewpoint of a single lug....or single series of kit they offer either. They have much on offer that I like very much.

I am starting to realize how silly I sounded when I got upset about what people thought about Mapex, Neil Peart, or anything else I had a positive opinion on. Watching some of you defend this company, is really quite childish, and silly. Really!
You sound like a born again.......I was blind, but now I see!! :)

mikeo

the tama silverstar was just out at the time and it was 250 more where i live... and the the yamaha stage was more as well... also i read so many positive reviews about the club jazz kit that i thought it was the way to go... anyhow i am not satisfied with them and i want to move on to something else... but i can't afford classic maples... please don't fry me, sticks for being narrow minded in my preferences... i just like the vibe of that kind of set... suits my style of music better

S

sticks4drums

if you're referring to the club date, it really doesn't look any different than the original. how it sounds is another matter, i'm sure it isn't up to the standards. but visually, that's the way i like my drums: small and petite. the steve maxwell rail consolette would be a better addition, and the finishes aren't great...but 4 piece kits are where it's at for me
I have said nothing about the size of the kit. Stay with the tour people. It was never about the size. I am in love with a 4 piece kit at the moment. It is night and day as far as looks go. Please read the whole thread.

S

sticks4drums

No...all down to the single bow-tie lugs. Never been a fan....probably the main reason why I don't have an Acro. And I don't like the look of them on the Club Dates either....new or old.

But I'm not writing off an entire company based on my aesthetic viewpoint of a single lug....or single series of kit they offer either. They have much on offer that I like very much.

You sound like a born again.......I was blind, but now I see!! :)
Well I like to think I am learning something on here. I will at least change and try something new if shown proof. I am not a fan of Ludwig's designs, but I went out and bought a 700 dollar snare, because many on here said it was the bomb, and I made it look good to me, by getting one with the tube lugs. How many of you mapex haters have run out and bought a Black Panther snare lately? Come on guys. Be fair about this.

S

sticks4drums

the tama silverstar was just out at the time and it was 250 more where i live... and the the yamaha stage was more as well... also i read so many positive reviews about the club jazz kit that i thought it was the way to go... anyhow i am not satisfied with them and i want to move on to something else... but i can't afford classic maples... please don't fry me, sticks for being narrow minded in my preferences... i just like the vibe of that kind of set... suits my style of music better
That is fine. You are allowed your opinion. You guys are giving me a lot of credit, thinking that what I say, will actually sway people in a certain direction. Thanks! :)

mikeo

i didn't realise that sticks was a "ludwig hater" .. these drums had better sound either great or like crap... that way somebody can walk away feeling good

S

sticks4drums

this has nothing to do with that. i love modern sonor and vintage premier drums. also, canada has produced some great brands over the years. i like canopus drums from japan too. it;s not so much about anger as it is about sound. i don't like american drums because they are simply "american" i like them because i think they have better tone for the type of recordings i make: soul, garage, r&b, etc. if there is any anger, it's about these mapex and yamaha freaks constantly comparing those drums with ludwig and gretsch when all four are made for different things
Now we are freaks. Why the name calling. We are all adults aren't we. Have I called any of you names. My Saturns sound more different than most of the North American maple drums. At least they have a different wood involved. I find Maple sounds like Maple, no matter what kind of spin you like to put on it.

Last edited: