Ludwig 2012... Club Date is back!

harryconway

Platinum Member
I'd love to hear what those cherry/gumwood shells sound like. The "Jazzette" kit is gonna be a killer. For the 18, 12, 14 lovers. This could well be the new "king of the hill" for this price level. Say goodby to the reign of the Gretsch Catalina's ... there's a new player in town. And frankly, it's about time ...​

drumhedd

I'd assume their the same (taiwanese?) shells from the Element SEs last year. That plus the "Special Edition" badging leads me to believe these will be a similar deal: a one or two year run in limited colors.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
It is about time that Ludwig woke up a bit. (look out Tama Silverstar!)
These are the type of kits that I loved as a kid in the 60's.
The 35 degree bearing edge is interesting.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Very cool! Not sure how much I dig the single lug look (I never did like it) but it definitely has Ludwig vibe all over it!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Very cool! Not sure how much I dig the single lug look (I never did like it) but it definitely has Ludwig vibe all over it!
The lugs give the drums a very clean look I think. I always liked them as a kid. There were many drums with lugs like that.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The lugs give the drums a very clean look I think. I always liked them as a kid. There were many drums with lugs like that.
Perhaps it's a generational gap, Bob. Like maybe the difference between the "blue/olive" generation and the "keystone" generation?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
LUDWIG will be making money on these sets. The crappiest wood they could find, single lugs mounted dead center of the shell, the worst place for resonance, unbeknownst to them in 62'.

$900 for a 4 piece? ...ooh wait, the description says 3 piece, so no snare.

Their name is their only hope of selling these sets. What if DIXON put out a configuration with hardware like this for $900? Everyone would laugh.

CLUB DATE was always a cheap set, all LUDWIG did was figure out how to increase the profit margin.

What did Flipper used to say? "Eheh Eheh"

Jack.

Attachments

G-2

I've NEVER like the looks of those lugs either, but if they're Taiwanese shells it should be a quality improvement (putting on body armor), ok, let 'em fly...

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Perhaps it's a generational gap, Bob. Like maybe the difference between the "blue/olive" generation and the "keystone" generation?
It is generational Bo. When you become middle aged you fondly look back to things from your youth.
The truth will be in the sound. If these drums sound like the original Club Date kits they will have a really cool warm tone.
The price on the Club Date kits is a bit high for just a shell pack with no hardware or snare.
I think that Gretsch overprices the Cat's a bit too.
I can buy a real vintage Club Date kit with a snare and some hardware for what Ludwig wants for the three new drums.

They should have put vintage spurs on it to match the rail cassette. That would have really been cool.
There you have it Ludwig, Throw in some vintage spurs and a snare and it will be worth the price.
In the meantime I'll just keep playin my Sonor Safari.

larryz

Platinum Member
"...Club Date Special Edition kit is made for the gigging drummer with an ear for classic Ludwig sound...":

If they're going for the classic sound (assuming the early 1960s) how can they accomplish that using a different wood (cherry/gum)? I'm sort of excited but reproducing the sound of a 50 year old drum is always a stretch. I'd rather buy a vintage set. Gretsch could use the competition, as I think their current product is a bit overrated. And Lesismore, I totally disagree. To each his/her own but the original club dates are the cat's meow.

jodgey4

Silver Member
I personally love the look and finishes, it totally looks just like a fun players kit. Not worth the price though, I shouldn't think. I'll wait for sound clips though. I'm defiantly getting some Atlas hardware though.

larryz

Platinum Member
OK, so now the website no longer losts these drums for sale? WTF? A change of heart? Mysterious...

S

sticks4drums

Me thinks someone jumped the gun, and got their hand slapped.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The link says they are no longer available? Were they referring to those Downbeat Epic kits? Or was it an actual Downbeat?

Maybe they'll be at NAMM.
Ludwig website says nada, but that's not surprising, given last year it took them 6 months to update what was shown at NAMM.

Ludwig's facebook page has teasers, but no details
Another unveiling at NAMM on January 19th, 2012 from Ludwig. This mixes a blast from the 60's with a new twist for today.
Along with a picture of a "clubdate" logo.

So, yes, I think the website jumped the gun with products that are not actually out yet.

I still want one. I have no idea where I'm going to find the extra cash, but this is exactly the kind of kit I've been wanting for a long time.