Lucky Day for Steve

0neyellowdrum

So, the day began with a phone call Saturday @ 10am from my guitar player (who owns Tanglewood Studios and is an exhibitor at this CCD Expo event) asking if I wanted to do a jam with he and some other well known guitarists. Of course my answer was yes. Then he said I needed to be there at 11:30 sharp, we would need to be set up and sound checked by 12pm. Yikes! We were to be on the main stage and they had a strict schedule to keep.
I loaded my kit and arrived @ 11:05. Unfortunately for me, getting there early did not help me at all.... there were keynote speakers each taking more time then alloted and delaying the schedule. I unpacked from my car rear stage at the ramp to the stage and was ready @ first opportunity to load in. The headlining band for the evening was Pablo Cruise so the stage drum riser was set (without drums, yet) for their drummer. After the last speaker ended (so we thought) I loaded my gear onto the riser for setting up when I and some of the guitarists were told to leave the stage so that the speakers could take some photo ops and also that I will need to set my drums to the side of the riser when setup occurs. Seems someone did not want me to use the riser. Then I found out that the organizer who put the jam together did not authorize a drummer to be playing because of the setup time involved. The guitarists are the people who asked me to play, apparently without authorization. Finally, setup time arrived 45 minutes late but I was allowed to setup on the riser. We setup, sound-checked, left the stage to wait for the moderator, Joel Jaffe, to play a couple songs then introduce us. This is when luck struck. In the middle of his last song Narada Michael Walden, out of nowhere, jumped onto my left-handed set, switched the floor tom, snare and hi-hat to a righty and began to play with Joel. BAM! We were all rear stage and wondering who this cat was who just walked up on-stage and and jumped on my set. It happened so fast that it took a few moments to sort out. In that time you can imagine what I was thinking.
The song ended and Narada stepped down came over to me, gave me a hug and said he hoped it was ok with me. Of course it was! he waved to the audience and the rest of the band urged me to get on my throne so we could start. I stepped up to the riser, switched the drums back for lefty when the organizer approached me and asked if Narada could play instead of me that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for the event. I agreed and Narada asked me if I was ok with this change and I assured him I was honored to have him play my drums. I asked if he wanted me to set them up for a righty and he said
" righty, lefty, naw!", jumped up and they played. It was incredible.
I took out my phone to take some pics then started this video. Not bad for a phone video.
So here is the video:http://youtu.be/FYqpa3eSAtg I hope you can enjoy it as much as me!
Thanks for reading.
Steve

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
What a great story. You were very gracious, and did yourself proud. He really is something. Nice drum sound too BTW. I hope you got pics of you and him. So you never played?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What a great story. You were very gracious, and did yourself proud. He really is something. Nice drum sound too BTW. I hope you got pics of you and him. So you never played?
Yeah, + 1 from me! Great player, & so cool to hear your kit played by such a great drummer.

0neyellowdrum

No pics that I know of because it all happened too quick. I did ask him permission to take some pics of him. (not video though).
Yes, the boys asked me up to the throne for 1 more song just as Narada was saying good-bye to me. That is why there was no time for pic opportunities. I watched him leaving as we were playing.
By the way, the guitarists were Mark Cooper-he has played with Steve Howe, Joe Walsh, Pat Travers and Greg Bissonette. James Papastathis III- he has played with Tom Petty, Ian Shelter and Mic Martin. John Morris- he has played with Ronnie Montrose, Frank Hannon and Sugar Ray. On bass was Kevin Cain- he toured with John Heartsman.

And for 1 song there was me- I have now played with them! So cool.
And thanks for the compliments on my drum set, to you and Andy.

That dude has chops!
Also, that is very lucky! Not to mention, you've done a great thing to the drum community!
It's not every day that a drummer who inspires or means alot to you comes out of no where and you give your time for them. I've had that happen to me alot. Bands like "Fill in for us, our drummer can't make it" and then people are praising you. It's a great feeling! And it's also a great feeling for the person you're filling in for.

I'm quite jealous too hahaha!