low volume crashable ride?

ENRICO

Silver Member
hi ! I want a ride that when you ride crash it (I don't know if this is the right term , I mean when you play a groove hitting repetidly on the edge of the ride ) it creates a wall of a low pitch but not too high volume sound , but it also has to deliver some ping when I use it as a traditional ride .

any suggestion?

thanks!

T

thatguykalem

You mean like a kind of washy sound? What you're describing kinda makes me think of a constant soft crashing sound.

Try a large diameter, but thin crash/ride. That'll get the sustain, but you'll also get the crash-style wash, as opposed to the average ride-style gong-ish sound.

The problem is, it's hard to get find a thin cymbal that pings. With most cymbals, it's a case of wash OR ping. You might be able to find a cymbal that combines both.

ENRICO

Silver Member
You mean like a kind of washy sound? What you're describing kinda makes me think of a constant soft crashing sound.

Try a large diameter, but thin crash/ride. That'll get the sustain, but you'll also get the crash-style wash, as opposed to the average ride-style gong-ish sound.

The problem is, it's hard to get find a thin cymbal that pings. With most cymbals, it's a case of wash OR ping. You might be able to find a cymbal that combines both.
I know that it's impossible to have a ride with crash capability , that has a "ping" , like a zildjian ping ride for example , I only need "some" ping .
so , I thoght that may be a vintage ride would be a good idea because they have a mellow tone , and moderated volume (like a avedis vintage ride)

do you have any particular cymbal in mind?

brady

Platinum Member
Check out the Zildjian Sweet Ride or the newer K Light ride. I haven't really found that quality in other brands; I'm not that familiar with them.

Chonson

Comes to mind:

- Paiste Twenty 22" Light Ride
- Paiste Giant Beat 24"
- Zildjian K 24" Light Ride
- Zildjian A 21" Sweet Ride
- Sabian HHX 22" Manhattan Jazz
- Istanbul Agop 20" Mel Lewis Ride
- Istanbul Agop 20" or 22" OM cymbals. (Thinner 22, moderately heavy 20)

Ainulindale

Gold Member
Meinl Byzance 22" Jazz Thin ride

Sabian 22" Artisan Light ride

Zildjian 22" K Light ride

Paiste 22" Twenty Light ride

but maybe the perfect wash/ping compromise would be the Sabian 21" Vault Crossover Ride, its sounds amazing, tapers down near the edge so you get a nice bell and defined bow but a very crashable edge - good hunting!

dwdrummerky

Low volume rides that are crashable that come mind are..
-Agop Signature rides (cymbalsonly has some light versions that are great but$$)
-Turk light rides
-Istanbul Agop or Mehmet light rides traditional
-K custom special dry

Ian

Silver Member
I keep two Dream Bliss crash rides in my bag for low volume situations. They certainly fit the bill. Play lots of them, though. QC is lacking.

Aeolian

Platinum Member
I was hot for a Dream Bliss 19" but a buddy pointed me at K Custom Dark crashes and I found an 18" that is really versatile. There were a couple of 19" K Custom Hybrid that I liked, but it didn't crash as well or have the color/trash of the Dark played as a ride. It doesn't really "ping" like the couple of Ping rides I've had, but it has a kind of woody stick sound reminisent of larger thin Turkish (or the Bliss copies) rides.

I still may get a 20-22" Bliss if I can't find a good deal on a Turkish ride for that trashy, washy bit.

Mikey Dangerous

hi ! I want a ride that when you ride crash it (I don't know if this is the right term , I mean when you play a groove hitting repetidly on the edge of the ride ) it creates a wall of a low pitch but not too high volume sound , but it also has to deliver some ping when I use it as a traditional ride .

any suggestion?

thanks!
Yup - 20" Sabian HHX Evolution ride. Only it mayyyyy not have the ping you're looking for for traditional playing.....it might, but it'll be close. Definitely check it out though!