"Low life" drummer

s1212z

I don't think Zach is a very "gear focused" guy. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy his playing and all of his various projects are in regular listening rotation for me but I really get the vibe that his attitude is kinda "whatever" about gear and set up.
Yeah, it's almost anti-gear orientated approach and I recall his interviews of just have random setups for the sake of creative challenges. The only thing I saw consistent was the Keplinger and the Iron Cobra but I don't think there is even that even more. There is definitely something to be said about bringing your 'sound' not matter the setup and developing the adaptability on any kit possible and making it happen; especially the stanky banged up house kit. So I never took it as a lack of attention to detail. Quite the contrary, more an artistic challenge to spark ideas.

roncadillac

Yeah, it's almost anti-gear orientated approach and I recall his interviews of just have random setups for the sake of creative challenges. The only thing I saw consistent was the Keplinger and the Iron Cobra but I don't think there is even that even more. There is definitely something to be said about bringing your 'sound' not matter the setup and developing the adaptability on any kit possible and making it happen; especially the stanky banged up house kit. So I never took it as a lack of attention to detail. Quite the contrary, more an artistic challenge to spark ideas.
I'll give it to him: if I owned that probably $1k+ beautiful fantastic sounding snare drum I would keep it around too haha. Oh yea, and the first few generations of iron cobra are some of the best pedals ever made so there's that too.