"Low life" drummer

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Been a big fan of Pat Torpey since the beginning of his career. May he rest in the ultimate peace. ❤️
One aspect of his drumming that his Big Drums video showcased was how low he sat behind the kit. His legs are at least 90 degrees (if not more).
I tried it, but found my double bass work was more laborious that when I sat higher.
Pat seems to have found a way around it.
Has anyone else sat low like this?

Sorry for the poor pic quality, it was taken from his video.

Pat low.pngPat low 2.png

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I used to know a guy who sat REALLY low behind his kit. It was back in the 80's, and he had this big e-kit. He would literally sit on an old 14" (or smaller) tom with a small pillow on top of it. His looked like he was in the same position that someone riding a recumbent bike would be. I think he liked the image of being behind a kit so big that you can't see the drummer. It worked for him, so I can't judge too much.

Al Strange

Gold Member
Pat was an incredible drummer and a wonderful human being (RIP). He went to the Tommy Aldridge school of seat height though! :) Your legs have to be really strong to play like that!

BruceW

There's a local guy here, amazing drummer...his and lets me sit in on a sing every now and again...it feels like I'm on a chopper, his seat is so low and my legs are way out in front! ;) I don't go adjusting other guys gear, especially if i'm just gonna play one song. So its always an adventure, getting behind his kit.

His gear sounds like cannons, too...always fun listening to him.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Scott Travis sits low too. I don't know how he has the speed and power in his legs he does, because footage always looks like his legs are working against him, not for him. But it obviously works.
Good example.
I've always wanted to start a new page called "Low Life Drummer" for those who sit low and can still drive the beat. You heard it here first, folks. ;)

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I chopped the legs off of an already low seat to get limbo low. The running joke about the band was..hey...wheres the drummer.
That's never a bad thing... :LOL:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
I grew up playing on a milk crate....till I was 24 and got my first legit set...as I have become older, I have raised my seat height for sure...and my cymbals have gotten lower

Stroman

Platinum Member
It's interesting - I was a low rider for many years. I basically just put the throne as low as it would go. I liked it, and I felt like it gave me a great deal of stability and power.

Then, after a couple months away from the kit due to moving, I found sitting low was bothering my back. So I moved the throne up. And up. And up.

Now, my back is good to go, but I can't stand to play seated low any more! My balance isn't as good, and my feet aren't as agile on the pedals. Plus, my upper body feels tense and sluggish from the lower position. I actually feel less stable down low.

I guess I no longer belong to the low life club!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I used to sit low. I didnt really have any problems with speed or control. As I got older, I was having pain in my hips during and after playing. Earlier this year I raised my seat up and the pain has decreased significantly.

sumdrumguy

There's a local guy here, amazing drummer...his and lets me sit in on a sing every now and again...it feels like I'm on a chopper, his seat is so low and my legs are way out in front! ;) I don't go adjusting other guys gear, especially if i'm just gonna play one song. So its always an adventure, getting behind his kit.

His gear sounds like cannons, too...always fun listening to him.

Bolded for emphasis. I've also sat behind some interesting setups on kit-share gigs, and at jams. Time is usually at a premium. Other than shifting the throne (forward/backward), and maybe adjusting the hi-hat, I choose adventure and leave everything as is.

I was never a low rider, but have raised my seat height over the years. Probably started with thighs parallel. Now sit with a slight downward angle - knees below hips.

Addition... Pat Torpey was fantastic player. Great vocals as well.

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Platinum Member
Bolded for emphasis. I've also sat behind some interesting setups on kit-share gigs, and at jams. Time is usually at a premium. Other than shifting the throne (forward/backward), and maybe adjusting the hi-hat, I choose adventure and leave everything as is.

I was never a low rider, but have raised my seat height over the years. Probably started with thighs parallel. Now sit with a slight downward angle - knees below hips.

Addition... Pat Torpey was fantastic player. Great vocals as well.

when we were doing small scale touring in the 90's ,and I had to use backline kits a lot, I also learned to just "have an adventure" at each show...it was really good for me to have to learn to adapt, and it also showed me how some of my beliefs about set up were screwy...really, the only thing that has stayed the same from when I first started is that my snare and floor tom are at the same height

moxman

Silver Member
check this out
re: Procol Harum drummer
That guy has some skills! Probably a big fan of Buddy and Krupa.. but a crazy tune - didn't anyone yell 'A little LESS cowbell!'
That setup looks whacked.

re; low height drummers
I've seen several over the years.. and it often looks cool. Not sure if it's any better or worse ergonomically.. but I've seen a few really good drummers that play that way. Mostly rock - double kick or fast single foot.. has a cool vibe.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Actually Colaiuta when he was playing on the Joan Rivers show began to have back issues from his posture.
He needed his throne to go lower ,so they cut the pipe to accommodate a lower stool.

roncadillac

Zach might have the best right foot in the game and can sit pretty low. Sits low but every video is different, sometimes high/mid/low...never keeps it the same.

I don't think Zach is a very "gear focused" guy. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy his playing and all of his various projects are in regular listening rotation for me but I really get the vibe that his attitude is kinda "whatever" about gear and set up.