love when drums tune up easily!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Well that is most of them. Put some new heads on my DW performance series. The easiest head change on toms I've ever had. They came up to tune and pitch quickly and easily! Easier than any other drums I've tuned or changed heads on. I was blown away, it was great!

Now the snare on the other hand is being a down right PIA and that's a drum I usually never have an issue getting to sound good. Been messing with it for a month. For some reason I just can't find that sweet spot I'm looking for. Running a Coated PS3 batter and snare side ambassador. I usually never have an issue with this combo, been a go to for me for a while.Crank up the snare side nice and tight and it feels like it's choking out the sound. Been playing around with the tuning on it cranking it higher thinking maybe it needed more tension to open it up, that didn't work, trying a little looser and seems like it's creating a weird overtone. Strange, have to keep playing with it some more. I took the batter side all the way down and started bringing it up again, might have to do the same with the snare side.

Has this particular snare drum ever produced a good sound?

Yes it has ......................................

OK, I was just wondering.

(I was going say, there have been a few drums made that are simply lemons. And nothing will help them sound good.)

Maybe it's a dud head.

For a laugh, and to just try something different, I decided to put some Ludwig silver dots top and bottom on my toms. I tuned both heads on each drum to the same pitch, and especially on the 14 tom, I noticed that the reso head sounded markedly better than the batter head.

Same heads. Both brand new. Neither had any noticeable defect, but one head definitely sounded better than the other.

Another possibility might be the room. I have one snare drum that I just can't get a sound I'm happy with unless I'm in a large, carpeted room.

Yeah, if there's nothing visibly wrong with the drum then you might as well try an ambassador or something different.

Well that is most of them. Put some new heads on my DW performance series. The easiest head change on toms I've ever had. They came up to tune and pitch quickly and easily! Easier than any other drums I've tuned or changed heads on. I was blown away, it was great!

When I was younger and had cheaper kits, tuning was often a headache.

I've got a DW Performance kit now. (I've got an E-kit for practice).

My band played for the first time in 10 months yesterday.

I was amazed that the tuning was still intact after so long.

Just needed a tiny tweak here and there and the whole kit sounded great.

Yeah, if there's nothing visibly wrong with the drum then you might as well try an ambassador or something different.

So I took a full turn out of the snare side head and it's sounding a lot better. Haven't had a lot of time to play on it tonight, just tried it on a whim, figured tight wasn't doing it so let's tune it down a little. First impression is it's pretty close to sounding good now, have to play and tweak a little more but think I'm finally headed in the right direction. Never met a snare that didn't like a super tight snare side head, well now I have lol! It's still tight just not as tight as I have my other snares.

So I took a full turn out of the snare side head and it's sounding a lot better.

Interesting.

On the snare side head I use Diplomat Hazy or Evans 200 they are 2 mil thick.
The Ambassador snare side head is 3 mil thick.

I always felt that the Diplomat is more sensitive. I like it better.

Interesting.

On the snare side head I use Diplomat Hazy or Evans 200 they are 2 mil thick.
The Ambassador snare side head is 3 mil thick.

I always felt that the Diplomat is more sensitive. I like it better.

I'll keep that in mind, might have to give the Diplomat hazy a try

What was the heads in use when it sounded good? Go back to them.
Alternative try Powerstroke coated Reverse Dot, HD Genera dry (these are the only head that work on my bronze snare), or the 360 coated, all good IMO.

Back