Loudest Concert

Benthedrummer

One word......OASIS!

From the opening number, my vision was blurred, my teeth chattered together and I lost equilibrium at times.....I'm pretty sure I nearly upchucked a few times.

I have never heard such a loud band in all my life.

I had screeching tinnitus for about a week.

Then Radiohead toured through a week later and I went through the same damn thing again.

beatdat

I can't remember any ear-shattering concerts, but the "loudest" live band I remember is Big Sugar. I saw them play in clubs a few times, and to this day they had the biggest and loudest sound I can remember.

One word......OASIS!
Didn't they start the "loudness" war that CDs went through?

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Merzbow, 2016. A very small venue in London. I wore ear plugs and stood six feet away from Thurston Moore for about an hour and a half.

It was great.

Benthedrummer

I can't remember any ear-shattering concerts, but the "loudest" live band I remember is Big Sugar. I saw them play in clubs a few times, and to this day they had the biggest and loudest sound I can remember.

Didn't they start the "loudness" war that CDs went through?

I lifted this from a Reddit post......

"...(What's The Story) Morning Glory? was actually the album that single handedly popularized brickwalling, which is a method of compressing the sound so that the quiet parts are louder, which decreases the dynamics and overall details but makes the audio louder..."

Never knew about the loudness war until now.

But in reference to the OASIS concert......even the tambourine that Liam was smacking was drilling into my skull. Until he decided to throw it into the front row crowd.

I'm sure he collected someone over the head with it.

nick_nicklson

Hi everyone!
I'll tell you about my loudest concert. I lived in a small suburb of Munich - Unterhahing.
AC/DC played there that day, it was awful because I heard absolutely everything! Even though the place where I was was 20 kilometres from that hellish place.
Then I found out that the volume at the concert was about 121 dB, oh my God, I can't imagine what was happening at the stadium.

The Shepherd

Kiss in Toledo Ohio on the Hot in the Shade Tour. It was a smallish hockey arena yet they managed to fit speakers from floor to ceiling along the back wall and across the seating. I couldn't hear anything when I left there and had ringing in my ears for almost a week afterwards.

RayI

Joe Satriani , San Diego 1984 ish small venue loud as hell , college buddy got us tixs for my birthday that year
Awesome

Ronzo

By far the loudest was Ace Frehley in a small club in Toronto in the mid 90s. Deafening!!!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I lifted this from a Reddit post......

"...(What's The Story) Morning Glory? was actually the album that single handedly popularized brickwalling, which is a method of compressing the sound so that the quiet parts are louder, which decreases the dynamics and overall details but makes the audio louder..."

Never knew about the loudness war until now.

But in reference to the OASIS concert......even the tambourine that Liam was smacking was drilling into my skull. Until he decided to throw it into the front row crowd.

I'm sure he collected someone over the head with it.
Nice to know they've always been shit, even when people didn't think they were shit, they were shit.

ChiTown

Def Leppard warming up for the Scorpions 1980 at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. I was 2nd row in front of the side fills. Oh man, i'll never forget how loud that was. The Scorps weren't as loud from what i remember or maybe my ears just went numb by the time they came on.

moodman

Other than seeing the Beatles in Indy (screaming drowned out their music, opening acts Bill Black Combo and Ike & Tina were fine) it would be the Blues Brothers set up outside the Slippery Noodle, also in Indy. It was painfully loud, but worth it to see all those great players.
So 'funny' that night, Eddie Floyd came out for some tunes and he was sweating bullets. He started using his hands as squeegees, wiping his face and flinging volumes of sweat on the front rows. I hid behind a lady with big hair. The front rows were getting soaked, that man could really sweat. When it came time for a Sax solo, Blue Lou came to the front of the stage. As he played, Floyd continued to hand-squeegee his face and rub his hands in Blue Lou's long hair, this continued through the solo and Lou was soaked by the time he finished, had a disgusted look in his face as he returned to the horn section.

Last edited:

Pootle

Metallica Milton Keynes Bowl 1993. Outdoor show but very very loud. Newsted’s bass was a real chest shaker.

Weave2112

Last summer - Iron Maiden. If I hadn't brought ear plugs, I would have had to leave. I'm glad I did, because it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen.