Lost gear...sigh

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Earlier this year I left a DW 9000 single pedal, (chain drive ha ha) at a backline (ugh) gig. I didn't notice this fact until a few weeks later. My garage was a mess, so I thought it was among the stuff in the garage when I noticed it missing. I'd find it later. I never called the establishment, because I thought it was too late by the time I was aware of it.

The gig was in Center City Philadelphia, so my hopes were low that people wouldn't take what wasn't theirs. I had a gig there again recently, and was hoping that my pedal would be there in the storage area. Which it wasn't. So now I'm using my formerly retired backup 5000 at gigs, and I use a 3000 as a backup now. This is the 4th time I've forgotten gear in 15 years, which is 4 times too much for me. Luckily all the 3 other times I got my gear back.

Not this time.

I just took what I needed separately to the gig, so I didn't go by my usual procedure, that's why I lost it, yea, that's the ticket.

(hits forehead with heel of palm)

Stupid! Stupid Stupid!

Last edited:
Some of us should get together and buy you a pedal Larry. I'll throw in $25 anybody else?

Some of us should get together and buy you a pedal Larry. I'll throw in $25 anybody else?

Wow, thank you man. Very generous of you. But I could never....I have enough pedals. Plus, my dance card has a lot of space in it lately. If I go out once a month that's a lot lately.

This is exactly why I have a process that I go through when loading out/breaking down my kit at gigs that I follow and never deviate from.

Agree. I was thrown off by the backline thing and not doing my routine. I don't do that much, but that's no excuse.

This is exactly why I have a process that I go through when loading out/breaking down my kit at gigs that I follow and never deviate from.

Same here. I print out two copies of an exact Gear List I'm taking and using. One copy for loading gear out of my studio. Second copy for loading gear back up at the gig. I always do at least two sweeps to make sure I haven't accidentally forgotten anything.

I left (or had stolen) all my cymbals and the bag they were in about 11 years ago. I like to think it was stolen so I can feel less stupid. But I probably left it there. I was thrown out of my routine by riding with someone else and I have a system down for my own car that I wasn't able to use. When you have a system, you notice if something is missing or out-of-place, but I was winging it and probably never noticed the bag wasn't in the car. The silver lining is it prompted me to buy my Ludwigs and a whole new set of cymbals, something I'd been talking about for a while but needed that push to finally go ahead with.

The gear routine is a common thing it seems. It takes me longer to get a backline kit...provided for my convenience...the way I like it, than it does to set my own kit up. This gig has a lot of really steep stairs and I don't like the gig enough to haul my kit up there anymore.

I need a checklist for the backline gigs, at least a mental one.

The gear routine is a common thing it seems. It takes me longer to get a backline kit...provided for my convenience...the way I like it, than it does to set my own kit up. This gig has a lot of really steep stairs and I don't like the gig enough to haul my kit up there anymore.

I need a checklist for the backline gigs, at least a mental one.
I have a rolling dufflebag specifically for backline gigs that contains:
- IEM setup
- bd pedal
- DW Ultralight snare stand
- DW Ultralight hh stand
- DW Ultralight cymbal stand
- throne
- stickbag with 2 Tama keys, felts, sleeves, etc.
- Cymbals go in a Zildjian backpack and snare is in a bag with a shoulder strap.

It's a one trip setup and the bag is completely full if everything is in there. If there is any room left in the bag after packing up then something got left on the stage.
Also all of this gear is only for the backline gigs. Nothing is taken out or shared with my regular setup.

I am a compulsive case counter. I count them at load in,in the staging area and load out. I fronted a metal band for 17 years. They drummer always used one of my kits. One night, I had to leave early from a local gig. The next week, I walked into the rehearsal space and automatically counted the cases. One was missing. One of my Coliseums was missing and he never noticed. I am getting heated just typing this.

It takes me longer to get a backline kit...provided for my convenience...the way I like it, than it does to set my own kit up.

Can I get an "Amen!" and a "Hallelujah!"?

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when other bands/venues insist that we combine gear. I really don't mind using it, but it takes SO. MUCH. LONGER. to get set up and torn down.

I had to play a show this weekend where the group I was with was headlining. The drummer INSISTED I use his kit. I do my best to be easy-going and easy-to-get-along-with, so I agreed. I play on about 3-4 different drum sets a week, so it's no big deal to play on a set that's not mine. Long story short, the other drummer turned out to be a HUGE prick for a plethora of reasons. By the time it was our group's turn to play, I had just about had enough of this guy. When I played his kit, I freakin' murdered his heads on his toms. When I got finished, it was dimple-city. Even though I hit a little hard, I received lots of great feedback from the audience on my playing.

I played at a church about a month or so ago for a special service, and the music guy INSISTED we use the house PA. Ok, whatever. I'm just like "As long as you're ready for us." Sheesh, I swear we could have set up our entire PA (Including 4 sub cabs, mains, and monitors), torn it down, and then set it up again in the same time it took for us to set up one time using their stuff. It was a cluster, and it took forever.

Sometimes backline gear works out great, but sometimes it's just really not worth it and it's more of a hassle than anything else.

I am a compulsive case counter. I count them at load in,in the staging area and load out. I fronted a metal band for 17 years. They drummer always used one of my kits. One night, I had to leave early from a local gig. The next week, I walked into the rehearsal space and automatically counted the cases. One was missing. One of my Coliseums was missing and he never noticed. I am getting heated just typing this.

Some people just to care or respect other people's stuff, and it drives me crazy.

Can I get an "Amen!" and a "Hallelujah!"?

I couldn't agree more. I hate it when other bands/venues insist that we combine gear. I really don't mind using it, but it takes SO. MUCH. LONGER. to get set up and torn down.

I had to play a show this weekend where the group I was with was headlining. The drummer INSISTED I use his kit. I do my best to be easy-going and easy-to-get-along-with, so I agreed. I play on about 3-4 different drum sets a week, so it's no big deal to play on a set that's not mine. Long story short, the other drummer turned out to be a HUGE prick for a plethora of reasons. By the time it was our group's turn to play, I had just about had enough of this guy. When I played his kit, I freakin' murdered his heads on his toms. When I got finished, it was dimple-city. Even though I hit a little hard, I received lots of great feedback from the audience on my playing.

I played at a church about a month or so ago for a special service, and the music guy INSISTED we use the house PA. Ok, whatever. I'm just like "As long as you're ready for us." Sheesh, I swear we could have set up our entire PA (Including 4 sub cabs, mains, and monitors), torn it down, and then set it up again in the same time it took for us to set up one time using their stuff. It was a cluster, and it took forever.

Sometimes backline gear works out great, but sometimes it's just really not worth it and it's more of a hassle than anything else.

You tell great stories Martin. And there wasn't any passive aggressive behavior at all lol.

John Lennon wrote a song about this very thing, "Instant Karma".

I had an issue with leaving something behind and since then have been crazy anal about keeping track of what i bring to a gig. I was playing golf with a friend who was visiting from out of town and he rented a set of clubs at the course. On one of the early holes he borrowed my sand wedge because the rentals didn't have one and put it in the rental bag, not mine. 3 weeks later or so when i was reaching for my sand wedge it noticed it was missing. It took me a few days to realize that he had used it and maybe put it in the wrong bag. I went back to the course and it was still there so i took it back. I always wondered how many people used it though.

Tomorrow I have a gig where there is a Rogers set as a back line. I bring all my hardware and cymbals to see what i need when i get there. This kit gets a lot of play and is always a little different when i get to use it. I may need 1 stand and just my hats or something. I always use my bass pedal too but i bring in the case so its hard to forget.

Man, that feeling is so bad. I tend to have a wandering mind and often as I'm an hour into driving home I'll give myself a mini panic attack "wait, I don't remember loading X back in the car; what if I left my precious X at the venue and now some punk has it?" On occasion I've actually pulled over. I get the same feeling on the way to a particularly important gig thinking that I forgot something critical.

Sorry bout your pedal, Lar. I tend to like the 5000 more anyway, I dig how it feels a little more resist-ive; found the 9k too smooth. Hopefully you can adjust! I do know the 5k is a really solid way to go.

UGH, This thread had me freaking out after yesterdays gig! The back-line kit is falling apart so i had to use my pedal, 1 crash cymbal, my snare and my throne. They had an awesome hydraulic sound seat but it was replaced ( accidentally im sure) with a beginner type throne. I was so stressed out leaving i kept going back in to check around the kit.

Left a nice DW 5000 pedal at a gig years ago; went back the next day and it was gone. Been crazy anal about my load out procedure ever since. I even typically turn down help carrying my gear out; I carry my stuff out in a certain order and take inventory in my head as I go.

Left a nice DW 5000 pedal at a gig years ago; went back the next day and it was gone. Been crazy anal about my load out procedure ever since. I even typically turn down help carrying my gear out; I carry my stuff out in a certain order and take inventory in my head as I go.
I thought it was just me but when someone in my band grabs a piece of gear for me ( always without my asking or knowledge) it makes me nuts! I have a system in my head and when that breaks down it just makes me mad, not thankful. its always my cymbal bag that they leave leaning on a post or something. a bag full of 2002's carry's nicely to the nearest pawn shop.

Larry, I feel sorry for you. My grade school teacher used to pin a note on my shirt to take home for my mother to read. Maybe something like that would work for you. ?

Back