Loose down tube

tmccartney

Let me start by saying this is only the second acoustic kit I've ever owned (the first was a Pearl Rhythm Traveler bought new), so I'm not a hardware expert.

I have a used Gretsch Catalina Birch kit that I picked up from a pawn shop. Good thing I got a deal on it, because some of the hardware has seen better days.

The biggest problem is the down tube that holds the toms is loose in the kick drum. I thought these things were pretty standard (mine's a 1"), but it won't get tight and stay upright no matter how tight the clamp that's mounted to the kick drum is.

It looks like the opening is more like 1 1/4", but I can't find a down tube that size on line, so I'm wondering if there's a sleeve or insert missing from the opening on the kick.

Can anyone help before I go and get myself ripped off at the local Sam Ash?

alparrott

Platinum Member
Probably the tightening collar in the bass mount is gone, or something else is the matter with that mount. I say to heck with is, grab a multi-clamp and fly the tom off a cymbal stand. Done and done.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Let me start by saying this is only the second acoustic kit I've ever owned (the first was a Pearl Rhythm Traveler bought new), so I'm not a hardware expert.

I have a used Gretsch Catalina Birch kit that I picked up from a pawn shop. Good thing I got a deal on it, because some of the hardware has seen better days.

The biggest problem is the down tube that holds the toms is loose in the kick drum. I thought these things were pretty standard (mine's a 1"), but it won't get tight and stay upright no matter how tight the clamp that's mounted to the kick drum is.

It looks like the opening is more like 1 1/4", but I can't find a down tube that size on line, so I'm wondering if there's a sleeve or insert missing from the opening on the kick.

Can anyone help before I go and get myself ripped off at the local Sam Ash?

... "picked up from a pawn shop." There's your clue that its probably not a GRETSCH piece then, 26mm I'm pretty sure that's TAMA.

The GRETSCH/GIBRALTAR is 32mm... anybody?

tmccartney

Probably the tightening collar in the bass mount is gone, or something else is the matter with that mount. I say to heck with is, grab a multi-clamp and fly the tom off a cymbal stand. Done and done.
I think we have a winner. I sent an e-mail to Gretsch, and they confirmed that there's supposed to be a plastic collar in there. They asked for a picture, and I think they're going to send me another one. Meanwhile, I fashioned one out of some plastic pipe (not PVC) that will do for now.

Thanks for the help...