Looking to buy new cymbal(s)

If you guys know of a US retailer that'll ship FREE to Oz.....please let me know.

Me too!!!

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Zildjian-A-Custom-Bonus-Cymbal-Pack-with-Free-18-Crash-and-Bag?sku=502016

I believe its to everywhere....

And also, just a quick question; Whats the difference between Zildjian Avedis, and Zildjian A Custom, theres a distinct difference in the appearance so I'd figure I'd ask what the difference in sound/quality, if there is one at all, before I purchase anything.

I believe its to everywhere....

I'll wager that "everywhere" means "everywhere in the US"..........I can't even get an Aussie price conversion on MF.......doubt they'll ship that far away for free mate......as far as I can gather, they'll ship to the States and Canada.......can't find any info about them shipping anywhere else.

Check here: http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/configurator/default.ad2 for the diff. between Avedis and A Customs.

I'll wager that "everywhere" means "everywhere in the US"..........I can't even get an Aussie price conversion on MF.......doubt they'll ship that far away for free mate......as far as I can gather, they'll ship to the States and Canada.......can't find any info about them shipping anywhere else.

Check here: http://www.zildjian.com/EN-US/products/configurator/default.ad2 for the diff. between Avedis and A Customs.

I'm looking at international cymbals through ebay.com.au, and some postage rates arn't too bad...

The Paiste Alpha series also seems very good, and decently priced.

Anyone have any opinions on them?

honestly at his age he shouldnt be looking on ebay for cymbals... he doesnt know what he wants and thats a BIG part of second hand cymbal buying. yeah he could go buy every cymbal under the sun and spend only a grand or so.. but i feel if your going to venture into second hand cymbal buying you should know what you want. like i look alot for second hand cymbals but i have a very small list of what i look for.. which speaking of, if anyones selling AA Metal-X cymbals id love to buy em! ;)

honestly at his age he shouldnt be looking on ebay for cymbals... he doesnt know what he wants and thats a BIG part of second hand cymbal buying. yeah he could go buy every cymbal under the sun and spend only a grand or so.. but i feel if your going to venture into second hand cymbal buying you should know what you want. like i look alot for second hand cymbals but i have a very small list of what i look for.. which speaking of, if anyones selling AA Metal-X cymbals id love to buy em! ;)

Can't argue with this.....valid points raised indeed. But I will say that IMHO, it's better to buy a used pro-level cymbal (which you can turn at a later point if your tastes move away from its sound), than buying cheapos like ZBT, ZXT etc etc. I'd rather a newbie discover his sound by eliminating quality cymbal sounds than judging the sound spectrum produced by tin lids......I really don't think experience with lower lines will leave anyone the wiser as to what they do/don't like. But, as stated....it's all just opinion guys.

I just honestly see no upside at all in entry level cymbals. YMMV, but I'll never recommend them to anyone.

Can't argue with this.....valid points raised indeed. But I will say that IMHO, it's better to buy a used pro-level cymbal (which you can turn at a later point if your tastes move away from its sound), than buying cheapos like ZBT, ZXT etc etc. I'd rather a newbie discover his sound by eliminating quality cymbal sounds than judging the sound spectrum produced by tin lids......I really don't think experience with lower lines will leave anyone the wiser as to what they do/don't like. But, as stated....it's all just opinion guys.

I just honestly see no upside at all in entry level cymbals. YMMV, but I'll never recommend them to anyone.

i started out with all B8's.. and honestly im glad i did. they were cheap, they got me acquainted with the different sizes and types and it was a great start. and from there the more i learned about them the more i was able to tailor what i wanted in cymbals to a more/less exact vision... right now i have an AAX china next to a B8 china.. i agree starter cymbals are cheap and shitty, but its a start. like everyone as a kid i wanted as many cymbals as i could afford and entry level offers that experience to play and learn at a REALLY cheap price (especially second hand) and idk.. i really would suggest B8 Pros especially..

As a general point, the market is changing, & it's time to think outside the box IMO. You can get new serious pro handmade Turkish cymbals for around XS20 money. With that choice, surely the starter cymbal market should die off. Many of these cymbals aren't "just as good" as the big three high end stuff, they're better IMO. Only problem for the inexperienced buyer is the huge variety on offer. Most are quite complicated flavours, so you've really got to try them out. Consistency isn't the issue it used to be with the quality Turkish makers. There's still the minor differences you'd expect from a truly handmade product, but that's part of the charm, isn't it?

Anyhow, superb pro quality for starter/intermediate money, a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. It's well worth the inexperienced player taking the time to search stuff out, rather than just working off the mass marketing info & high profile endorsements. That process also has the benefit of providing a welcome steep leaning curve on cymbal sounds & styles. I get that it's easy to buy big three stuff online. You pretty much know what you're getting, & that's the point. What you get out is directly linked to the effort you put in. It's no longer a purely price/affordability decision.

Get out there, get involved, get lucky!

I started with the ZBT pack. Got them out of the box and set-up on my kit and immediately had a gut ache... I hated them! I boxed them back up, took them to the store and began asking why they even made those cymbals...

I couldn't afford much so I went with the Sabian XS20 package that had hats, 16" medium crash and a 21 inch ride and later bought an 18 inch medium XS20 crash to go along with it. It's not the best out there but the tone (to me) is lightyears better than the B8, ZBT, etc. level cymbals. It's all I could afford and I am very happy with them. I have beat the living crap out of them and they sound great and have held up better than expected. I would really like to upgrade but am waiting to hear the newer stuff from Meinl.

Back