Looking for the perfect ride

wildbill

Platinum Member
I'll just paraphrase what others have already said - a ride can be perfect for specific conditions and circumstances.
When those conditions or circumstances change, the ride probably will too.

skod

Well, while you are giving rides a listen, find a nice old 70's Zildjian 21" rock ride. Bought one a little over a year ago, and finally retired my long beloved 1966 Zildjian 22" ride: I needed more cut. It is old-school, for sure, but a very, very nice cymbal indeed...
Your mileage is gonna vary,though, for sure!

Last edited:
D

drumming sort of person

Paiste Modern Essentials 22" (once you can find one in stock).

It will satisfy your every desire.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have a 20" K Custom original (back when there was only one "Custom"). It has pretty much done everything, from jazz in coffeehouses to theater to metal shows. I haven't been seriously tempted to get another in 22 years.

RickP

Gold Member
If you play strictly one genre of music , then it may be possible to find your "perfect" ride, though even that may be subjective and open for argument. I have a number of ride cymbals
because i play a lot of different styles of music and with different size groups and various size rooms. I do have one ride that I could ( and do) use for the majority of my work and that is my reissue Paiste 20" 602 Medium ride. It is a great ride for everything except the louder volume stuff.

My tastes in cymbals evolve and change constantly, from dark and trashy ro shimmering and clean and sometimes something in between. So for me, the search for the "perfect ride" continues.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I too have been on a never ending search for the perfect ride.
A few years ago , as others have said, finally discovered that there is no such thing.
So I now have 4-5 'perfect rides' , depending on what I'm doing. Zildjian K Con, Left Side Ride, K Light Ride, Meinl Sand Ride, Paiste 602...love them all.
Hihats are way easier but I still have 4-5 of those for different things too.

Neal

i_eat_everyday

Obviously everyone's idea of a 'perfect' ride sound is different and only you can decide on yours, but I've been having a lot of fun with my Meinl 20" Byzance Benny Greb Sand Ride. For me, it's perfect - it has a lot of shimmering wash but still manages to (somehow?) retain a lot of stick definition. It also has a lovely dry crash sound and cutting, 'compressed' sounding bell. Definitely recommended by me!

evans_69

Silver Member

Having recently acquired one (the 22" version), I'd say it depends on the sound you're after. I'm loving this ride, but I'm not in the pop/funk/disco/jazz business...

If 'versatility' is what you're looking for, perhaps a lighter/brighter ride cymbal serves you better.
I have the old style 22" K heavy ride, awesome cymbal,

Road Bull

Silver Member
I have the old style 22" K heavy ride, awesome cymbal,
I have an older 22" K Heavy Ride on it's way to me via ebayland. I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. It's a gamble buying before you can hear it, but for a good price, I will take the chance. They don't make em anymore like this one and if it is not my cup of joe, I can easily find someone who will take it off my hands.

I went to a few of my favorite drum shops here in Seattle today. I heard a lot of nice rides. I heard a REAL nice 22" Zildjian K Ride. They had two of the same. One washy, one more controlled. I liked the second one a lot. It was not by any means "dry", but had nice stick definition along with a GREAT sounding bell. I would be tempted had I not recently purchased a new 2013 Zildjian Medium Ride, and won the 22" K Heavy Ride. Now I am ride rich and wallet poor.

The one that I heard today that I was not expecting to like that much, but ended up liking a lot was the Paiste 24" 2002 Ride. I have to say, It was a perfect amount of stick to wash blend and a bell that could cut through whatever full stacks and 810 cabs could throw at it. I have had mixed feelings on Paiste throughout the years, but I would be happy to have this ride, ok, and maybe a set of 2002s to compliment it. I wouldn't want to make it feel like the odd man out, you know how it is.

FoolInTheRain

My 20" A Custom Projection ride has been surprisingly versatile for me. It cuts, but can also really be laid into without sounding too gong-like. Not what I was expecting when I bought it. IMO, its a great all-around ride.

Just another option to consider.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
For me it's the K Constantinople.

Maybe not ideal for metal but who cares. For that I have a heavy ufip ride.

johnnylaw

When I bought my main ride, I was sampling several in a high-end drum shop. Not surprisingly, they had several that I found appealing. When I narrowed it down to the last four, I had the store owner play them all for me as I stood about 30 feet away because my intent was to have something well suited for live performance rather than a close-miced studio application. This really helped me zero in on a good sound for my stuff.

Peace and grooves,

Johnny

johnnylaw

When I bought my main ride, I was sampling several in a high-end drum shop. Not surprisingly, they had a numberl that I found appealing. When I narrowed it down to the last four, I had the store owner play them all for me as I stood about 30 feet away because my intent was to have something well suited for live performance rather than a close-miced studio application. This really helped me zero in on a good sound for my stuff.

Peace and grooves,

Johnny

wizard sticks

If you don't like your K because it is too low-pitched and washy, an A Ping Ride is a touch heavier and brighter. In the right context it is pretty nice.