Looking for the hyundai of BD pedals

Griffman

I need an additional single bass drum pedal. I'm not a gear head, I don't need the latest technology and the only pedals I owned until recently were the old Ludwig speed kings. I need a good performing reliable all around single pedal and I of course would like to pay as little as possible. Any drum brothers/sisters have a recommendation they feel strongly about based on their own experiences?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, if you're not a gear head, walk into any store and buy the pedal that's under $50. At the lowest price point, they will all be about the same. Actually in mostly all price points they're all about the same.

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I would really recommend the Pear Demonator. Retails for about $80. I love them so much, I'm actually considering buying one to replace my DW5002 and Iron Cobra pedals. They just feel so good to me.

Griffman

I would really recommend the Pear Demonator. Retails for about $80. I love them so much, I'm actually considering buying one to replace my DW5002 and Iron Cobra pedals. They just feel so good to me.
Thank you. That sounds like it may be the ticket for me.

Bo I get the similarity of features and materials at a given price point, though build quality can vary sometimes, but at what price point do people find reliable/dependable/good functioning to be a given? From TClumbia37's quote sounds like it can be well under 100 - good to know given some of the pedals/prices I often see discussed.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Thank you. That sounds like it may be the ticket for me.

Bo I get the similarity of features and materials at a given price point, though build quality can vary sometimes, but at what price point do people find reliable/dependable/good functioning to be a given? From TClumbia37's quote sounds like it can be well under 100 - good to know given some of the pedals/prices I often see discussed.
Reliable/dependable/good functioning will all be a factor of the person playing. If you play three hours a day and gig nightly (or a few nights a week), then obviously, you don't want to be wasting time dealing with a sub-standard pedal that could break down at any moment.

I also have the Pearl Demonator ($80), and also the Pearl Demon Direct Drive ($300), and have owned a whole bunch from across the spectrum, and they do all pretty much function the same. But you need to find a pedal your foot likes, regardless of the price and get that. If you need super-reliability and are a heavy hitter, then maybe buy a couple of the cheap pedals so you have a spare.

But if you've had and liked the Speed King for all these years, why not find another one? On the used market they range anywhere from $65 to $150 depending on condition. If your foot is already programmed for that, there are plenty of them out there.

FreDrummer

Silver Member
I personally buy top-quality used pedals on ebay. Drummers can be so finicky...often a pedal is bought, tried out for one or two months, and the drummer decides they "don't like it" and sell it. Read the description and let your eyes be the judge -- sure, you don't want to buy a used pedal from some guy who practices four hours a day and gigs five nights a week for four years on it. But, the pedals I've bought in the last year (Speed Cobra, Gibraltar G-Class, and Gibraltar Prowler double...hey, wait! Maybe I'm one of "those guys!") have all been in like-new condition and I only paid $100-130 shipped.

Gibraltar has been putting out some good quality stuff, lately, IMO. The Prowler Series (6600 with double chain, IIRC) and Intruder Series (9600?) can be had new for less thn $120. For the type of drumming I do (single pedal classic rock), they perform just as well as my IC, Speed Cobra, Eliminator, etc. As a guy who started out "back in the day" on a Speed King, I can make any of these pedals work for me.

GeoB

Gold Member
If there is a Guitar Center close by go to their drum room. There you will find an I-beam with a variety of pedals hooked to it for your testing pleasure. Look at your price range and check those pedals out. Heck, test them all out.

Decide what you like, if you like any of them.

Now you have a choice. Buy one or go search for lower prices.

Here's a tip. Buy last years model, or the previous model to the "New and Improved" models that are affixed to the I-beam.

Last years or the previous model pedals can often be found in the box, never sold for a steal.

I use pearl pedals and stands. I like the quality and the prices of last years models (new in the box) are really affordable.

Best of luck!

Reggae_Mangle

Silver Member
Try out the following:
1) Mapex Falcon
2) Pearl Eliminator
3) Tama Iron Cobra
4) Sonor Jojo Mayer pedal

These are all current models and I think you might like one of them. They are quite advanced technology wise, but I would advise getting something new to getting a refurbished pedal or something that's no longer in production. Might be a bit pricier, but I think you might rethink your mind about your old pedals once you try them. Should last you a long time too, if not forever, so that's something to keep in mind when you're shopping.

Couldn't hurt to try them at any rate.

Griffman

thank you everyone for your insight on pedals and various buying opportunities - all very helpful!

I am heading to GC for that beam of pedals - did know that kind of side by side comparison was available the next town over.