Looking for some feedback

Hey guys and gals, long time no see.

I had a recording session with a new funk/jazz quintet I put together, and I'm very happy with how it turned out. I learned a lot from the session itself, as well as from listening back to the tracks.

I would love to get some outside opinions on one of the tracks, no matter how brutally honest they may be haha! It's a tune called "Peaches" by Jim Payne, and I re-arranged it from an organ trio to a quintet (drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, and tenor sax). If you have a few moments, please listen to the track on my MySpace page...
www.myspace.com/carlbahner
...or if you send me a PM, I'll email you the mp3 (better quality than the super-squashed MySpace version).

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Carl

Last edited:

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
i think the bass seemed to be a bit off the beat a bit of the time (if it is indeed a bass as it wasn't mentioned as being part of your "quintet" or should that be "hexet" or whatever it is with 6)

Apart from that it's okay pretty good drumming and its a great sound for your first ever time producing.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, it IS a bass. There are no keys on that track, that was a typo on my part (maybe I need more coffee haha).

Yeah, I noticed that too, but I take half the blame. I'm a naturally behind-the-beat player, he's a naturally ahead-of-the-beat player, and we haven't been playing together long enough to compensate for that yet. It's something we're both aware of, and will be working on in future rehearsals.

Thanks again so much, and please keep the comments coming!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
While I'm not real knowledgeable about the style of music you are doing, I know what I like and I definitely like it alot...
You've got great feel, technique and musicality and a great drum sound to top it all off. Great rolls! Super track. I love the snare stuff, and the tasteful cymbal work. The song itself is a real enjoyable piece of music. Hey we're kind close geographically.

Thanks so much! I've been really focusing on my rolls recently, so I can't tell you how happy I am that someone noticed haha!

Anyone else? Anything I should focus on improving? Specific or general, any comments are welcomed.

Carl