Looking for "rock sizes" again...ideas?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a "rock" kit, again, after the Ludwig experience didn't pan out, earlier in the year. I'm most interested in a 24/16/13 setup.

The leading contender is the Gretsch Renown rock setup. These are the ideal sizes and I own a small Renown kit, so I know they sound great. The only thing I'm not crazy about are this year's finishes.

Last year they had Inca Gold Sparkle and Silver Slate Sparkle, which were beautiful. Now they're hard to find and special orders take 5-6 months. I'm not willing to wait that long for drums to be made.

What else is out there in this setup, in a well-made "pro" kit? I'd prefer new so I could have a warranty with it. I intend on taking these drums out as much as possible, so they're going to see heavy use. I have kept my eye on eBay but pickins is slim, these days.

I prefer maple shells and 18" is too deep, for the kick. I'd do a 24x14" or 16". 13x9" is ideal but I could deal w/ 10" deep, if I had to. Floor tom must be a 16x16".

I've thought about building my own but I honestly don't know when I'll have the time. I haven't ruled it out, but it's a last resort.

I know I'd be tempted to get a good builder to make those three drums to my specifications. Getting exactly the sizes, shell type, lug style, & bearing edges you want to deliver that certain voice, is special. The fact that it's your concept, & the joy derived from that involvement, brings about a certain satisfaction. Almost as good as doing it yourself. I'm sure, after your triumph on the snare drum, if you had the time, you'd probably go the DIY route.

I thought about that but there aren't many custom shops out there that can do it at a decent price, that I know of. In fact, most of them are wildly expensive.

If I went the DIY route, I'd have Precision send me some Kellers, having already done the edges for me. But, I'd really like a nice sparkle finish and I'm pretty sure I'd make a mess if I tried that, myself. Smearing tung on a shell is considerably easier but would be boring to look at, on some Keller maple shells.

I thought about that but there aren't many custom shops out there that can do it at a decent price, that I know of. In fact, most of them are wildly expensive.

If I went the DIY route, I'd have Precision send me some Kellers, having already done the edges for me. But, I'd really like a nice sparkle finish and I'm pretty sure I'd make a mess if I tried that, myself. Smearing tung on a shell is considerably easier but would be boring to look at, on some Keller maple shells.
Wraps really aren't that difficult to do. Just a bit of patience & care. Although I don't personally care for wraps, I used to do quite a few for a friend's drum store, back in the day.

Zambizzi,

Call Chris at 'Drums on Sale" in Hagerstown, MD. They have a Renown Kit in 24, 16, 13. Can't remember the color but the price seemed a bit lower than whats been showing up on ebay...

Zambizzi,

Call Chris at 'Drums on Sale" in Hagerstown, MD. They have a Renown Kit in 24, 16, 13. Can't remember the color but the price seemed a bit lower than whats been showing up on ebay...

I'll check it out, thanks! I bought my Pearl FF snare from them, last summer...great service.

Back