looking for recomendations on drum sticks

veecharlie

Hello everybody!
This is my first post.. hehe.

I have been a drummer for more than 9 years and .. in between this time I got a severe accident to my right arm, where I'm still recovering my musle strenght after 2 years of finishing the big therapy. (I'm still on it) Anyways.

I have Always been using 5A and 5B in my last months of drumming before this accident happened, and after that I couldn't stand the thickness and the heavyness of the sticks, so I went down to the Mike Portnoy sticks and later 7A.
Now that I'm in a good state of playing drums again, I have been stick hunting for a new pair of sticks that would suite my needs. I play worship and progressive metal music. I'm a hard hitter..

I fell in love with the VF 85A (just a little bit thicker and taller) but when I came back home and started working on the pad, I have noticed they where too heavy for my arm..

so now the big question.. what would you recommend me?
I have been a big fan of VF for practically all my drum career, but I'm open minded to any reliable quality product from any brand.

I recommend Vater 5A's for now, 5B's when you regain your strength.

Vater makes the longest lasting stick because the moisture content is almost twice as high as VF's. I was a VF guy all my life, because I like their balance, a lot.

Vater's balance is identical to VF's from what I can tell or I wouldn't be playing them. I like that Vater's acorn tip, it's not too pointy. I don't need a point. Vater's is rounded off, nice touch. It's the perfect production line stick for my money, I am lacking nothing. A pair lasts me about 40 gigs, almost a year. I'm not a basher.

Vater makes the longest lasting stick because the moisture content is almost twice as high as VF's. I was a VF guy all my life, because I like their balance, a lot.

Vater's balance is identical to VF's from what I can tell or I wouldn't be playing them. I like that Vater's acorn tip, it's not too pointy. I don't need a point. Vater's is rounded off, nice touch. It's the perfect production line stick for my money, I am lacking nothing. A pair lasts me about 40 gigs, almost a year. I'm not a basher.

Hi, thanks for your reply. As I have stated above.. I can't play with more than 5A, unfortunately my arm can't handle that yet.. the question was if there was a better alternative than the 7A being a lighter stick and still suitable. I have been hunting for lighter sticks for a month now and after trying and trying I still get few options around the standard 7A of VF. :/

... Vater makes the longest lasting stick because the moisture content is almost twice as high as VF's. ...

Not only longer lasting 'cause they dent rather splinter, higher moisture content transmits less shock to the hand.

Rich Sticks also has the moisture content, their "semi-customs" lets you choose lots of options, like length and tip, for a 7a.

Firth is not perfect, but does the best pair-matching of anyone.

Hello everybody!
This is my first post.. hehe.

I have been a drummer for more than 9 years and .. in between this time I got a severe accident to my right arm, where I'm still recovering my musle strenght after 2 years of finishing the big therapy. (I'm still on it) Anyways.

I have Always been using 5A and 5B in my last months of drumming before this accident happened, and after that I couldn't stand the thickness and the heavyness of the sticks, so I went down to the Mike Portnoy sticks and later 7A.
Now that I'm in a good state of playing drums again, I have been stick hunting for a new pair of sticks that would suite my needs. I play worship and progressive metal music. I'm a hard hitter..

I fell in love with the VF 85A (just a little bit thicker and taller) but when I came back home and started working on the pad, I have noticed they where too heavy for my arm..

so now the big question.. what would you recommend me?
I have been a big fan of VF for practically all my drum career, but I'm open minded to any reliable quality product from any brand.

I would suggest Todd Sucherman's sig PRO MARK stick, its a thicker stick, but light (maple).

Another Vater convert from Vic Firth here. I'd wholeheartedly recommend checking out the Vater Manhattan 7A. They're a little bit longer than a VF 7A, so I feel like they're better balanced in my hands. If they still feel a little heavy, they also make a sugar maple version of that stick, which would definitely be lighter.

You might want to try the Vator Sugar Maple series. They are lighter weight for the same size.

I recommend the ProMark "Rebound" sticks in a diameter that fits your hand. I just picked up a pair, after using Vic Firth 5A "vic grip" for years and love 'em.

And their "Active Grip" is worthy, too.

Back