Looking for play along suggestion: instrumental full band funk grooves

Frank

Gold Member
There are many funk packages on the planet. But lots of drum material simply demonstrates a groove - without a full band.

I'm looking for something fun to play along to - that would be a variety of funk grooves in increasing tempos, long in length, that have full band.

?

How about Garibaldi's "Code of Funk"? 8 songs from the Oakland Zone album in full length and with complete transcriptions.
Stanton Moore's Groove Alchemy also has many grooves in it but it's mostly just one or two bars of the basic idea and the play alongs are original songs.

How about Garibaldi's "Code of Funk"? 8 songs from the Oakland Zone album in full length and with complete transcriptions.
Stanton Moore's Groove Alchemy also has many grooves in it but it's mostly just one or two bars of the basic idea and the play alongs are original songs.

I like Dave G, but that material will require too much thinking and work. :) For this stuff, I'm trying to find stuff complex enough to be interesting, but easy enough to fake, so I can just get in the zone and play, enjoy, and relax. Not looking for woodshedding stuff, for this. Just a path to enjoying playing. I usually gig about once a month, which is not nearly enough, and top of it, the band hasn't had a gig since 11/1 - with our next 1/5. So, I'm busting for full band play, and these tracks are about as close as I am going to get.

In that case, you might like Groove Alchemy. There are a few pages on Meters grooves in it, too.
Another good one is "Give the Drummer some" by Jim Payne. It contains long articles and interviews but also transcriptions of different grooves. I like it primarily for the articles though.

May I humbly suggest the work of the various JBs offshoots, could just be The JB's or Fred Wesley & The JBs, etc. OK, there's a bit of chanting every now and again:

Pass The Peas

Blow Your Head

Gimme Some More

Giving Up Food For Funk

Here's another Meters song

Here Come The Meter Men

Or early instrumental Kool & The Gang:

Kool's Back Again

Chocolate Buttermilk

If you look up Orlando Drummer on youtube, I think he puts together loops on his channel for practicing, etc. You may check him out.

Back