Looking for options for the zildjian a customs

Rhythm666

Good day guys,
Im looking for a 20 inch crash cymbal , in my set up i have a mix of brands, from paiste, zildjian and sabians.
I always had a 14, 16 and 18 inch crash in my set up. Recently i wanted a 20 inch crash and i got a great deal
On a zildjian 20 inch crash from the S series ( thin version).
I like the sound of it but after playing some time with it i like the sound of the 18 a custom more due to the brightness
Of it so i want a 20 inch crash that has a similar style sound.

Should i buy the 20 inch a custom bright version or what options do you guys advice me? Sabian AAX or the AA or.....

Thnx in advance,
Stanford

C.M. Jones

If know you like Zildjian A Customs, sticking with them is the safest route. I'd go with a 20" A Custom Crash.

I play nothing but Zildjian's S Family now and love it, but the A Custom line would be my second choice. Like you, I prefer brighter cymbals.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Both the S and the A Custom are bright and glassy, and I'm unclear if you want the A Custom because you think it'll have more or less brightness than the S.

Rhythm666

Both the S and the A Custom are bright and glassy, and I'm unclear if you want the A Custom because you think it'll have more or less brightness than the S.
Winston,
Yes i think that maybe the 20 inch a custom will sound more brightly then the S. I based this as i tested my 18 inch a custom crash with a friends s thin crash and the A sounded more brightly.

But i want to see if one would suggest another brand an type that would match the sound of the 20 inch A custom as an option for it.
I will visit a drumstore to test myself but i thought if i get some tips here i can search more directly

C.M. Jones

The A Custom and the S are quite similar, in fact. Both have narrow, symmetrical grooves, fairly thin profiles, and a brilliant finish. The primary difference is that the A Custom has a B20 composition, whereas the S is B12. Both are great cymbals. Your preferred flavor should be the deciding factor.

If I wanted something in another brand that would rival an A Custom's brightness, I think I'd turn to Paiste, perhaps a 2002 or a Giant Beat.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Sabian's AAX was intended to be a direct competitor to A Custom. I wouldn't rule out a regular Zildjian A or Sabian AA with a brilliant finish either.

All 20" cymbals are going to seem a little less bright than smaller cymbals; as the pitch drops it tends to also be perceived as less bright but it's important to not confuse pitch and tone, even they go together. In my mind the trick with ranking cymbal on the bright/dark scale is there has to be a frame of reference. "Brighter or darker than what?"

It seems like a lot of your frame of reference is based on A Customs. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to consider other options and alternatives, but looking for a cymbal that sounds more like an A Custom than an A Custom is adding a bit of an unnecessary fork in the road.

C.M. Jones

Sabian's AAX was intended to be a direct competitor to A Custom. I wouldn't rule out a regular Zildjian A or Sabian AA with a brilliant finish either.

All 20" cymbals are going to seem a little less bright than smaller cymbals; as the pitch drops it tends to also be perceived as less bright but it's important to not confuse pitch and tone, even they go together. In my mind the trick with ranking cymbal on the bright/dark scale is there has to be a frame of reference. "Brighter or darker than what?"

It seems like a lot of your frame of reference is based on A Customs. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to consider other options and alternatives, but looking for a cymbal that sounds more like an A Custom than an A Custom is adding a bit of an unnecessary fork in the road.
Good points all around. The discussion of brightness versus darkness can certainly be misleading. For instance, a thin cymbal generally has a lower tone than a heavy one, but a thin A Custom or S will still sound bright, even though its tone is comparatively low. It's what we compare it to that's important.