Looking for good brushes.

mike d

Silver Member
I prefer something versatile, with some descent volume that won't turn my heads black.
Anyone got any good recommendations?

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
I prefer something versatile, with some descent volume that won't turn my heads black.
I love the white hard-plastic handle Vic Jazz brushes. Many people find them too stiff, but I love the fact that they allow snappy backbeats and rimshots when required, as well as decent ride cymbal projection.

I dunno, I've just used them so long that playing with standard rubber-handle brushes feels like rubbing a flaccid sponge on against my snare head...

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
Check RegalTip. Really good brushes and they will definitely have one type that you will like. If you don't want a blackened head, go e.g. for nylon brushes (some steel brushes are alos very gentle in this department, e.g. the RegalTip Thipgen singature brush. Btw. Nylon will be louder...

The other thing is: Use Evans heads instead or Remo. A Remo Amassador coated will get darker in a few minutes. An Evans head .... takes a lot of time for that due to the different coating.

And: You could simply clean the head with a bit of water and a good microfibre-sponge. Done in a few seconds and head looks nice again. ;-)

mike d

Silver Member
I have Evans coated heads, and I like the idea of the nylon brushes.
Has anyone tried these from Promark?
I saw the Ed Thigpen nylon model, but it's not retractable and has band on it for spread control. Does that work well?
BTW, I haven't used brushes for years and I know the tech has changed so I'm just trying to find out what the options are. Thanks to all for your help. :)

G

Ghostnote

I haven't played brushes in years, but I used to like the Vic Firth brushes with the white handles. Most real brush guys go for Regal Tips though.

Gooosseeeyy

I think with enough playing most brushes will turn your heads black

Also +1 for Regal Tip they are some great brushes.

mike d

Silver Member
Thanks to all for the feedback, I'm gonna give the Promark Nylons a shot.
I'll report back if they are noteworthy.