Looking for first kit

Drivelikebrazil

Hello, I'm just getting started into drumming and am looking into picking up my first kit. I've been looking around on craigslist and at the local guitar center and have found a few things. Basically, I want to keep the cost down as low as I can without ending up with a kit that I can't stand the sound of. I've found a few Pearl Export kits on craigslist around the $450-550 range most with low-end cymbals. At guitar center I've seen a few Export shell sets for around 200-250, a Mapex Tornado 5pc for $150, and a Mapex M Birch for $350. Assuming that these are in good condition, what would be the best bang for buck purchase?

larryz

Platinum Member
Hi there and welcome. Best bang in my opinion is Yamaha Stage Customs which can be had for $300-400 used. Definitely a better quality kit than those you have mentioned. Good luck.

slowrocker

Silver Member
The mapex m should be a nice set for that. Like Larry said stage customs are pretty nice and you can also find some nice pdp's for the price.

BlakeN70

Hi there and welcome. Best bang in my opinion is Yamaha Stage Customs which can be had for $300-400 used. Definitely a better quality kit than those you have mentioned. Good luck.
I agree with larryz. The Stage Customs are great kits.

leecho7

I have to agree with the majority of folks here, the Yamaha Stage Customs are great.
I had the pleasure of playing several of them for various churches, and they seem to be the backbone of a majority of church praise teams in my area.
However, with the right heads and tuning, these drums are great for a variety of applications. I much prefer these over the Exports.
But in the end, its down to your own preference. If its possible to try them before purchasing, that's what I'd recommend.

Soupy

Silver Member
The quickest, cheapest way to go is to get everything in one shot from someone via Craigslist. If you can get a complete set (drums, cymbals, stands, throne, misc whatever) in the $500 range you're doing okay. Yeah, they'll come with cheap cymbals, but if you're just getting started drumming, your taste in cymbals isn't really developed. I'd suggest playing the cheap one initially and saving up for a set of cymbals that you can hand-select over time.

Exports are perfectly nice drums; I wouldn't have any regrets about getting a set.

SLAINTE

Back in the late 80's through the early 90's I played many a gigs on a Pearl set. It was a 70's model kit so it wasn't an Export and I enjoyed it very much. Last year I purchased a Stage Custom Birch kit and I am really enjoying these.The tom mounting IMO is much better then anything I have owned or played on from Pearl and with the right heads these things sound so sweet.Don't get me wrong I have a lot of found memories with my Pearl set and they sounded really good as well, in fact I have turned them over to my son but I do prefer my SCB's better.

dabdrums

i'm looking for my second kit . I have a cb sp series now I'm looking to spend no more than $1500.00 on a new kit with tom mounts other hardware will be a plus I would like a 6 piece set I'm thinking maple shells. Bass snare,2 mounted toms and 2 floor toms.I would like a cherry burst color or a purple to black fade isolated toms and virgin bass, Is there anything out there that sounds likes this.I've been looking at ludwigs and gertsch sets. ludwig doesn't have the colors I want.

A-customs

Silver Member
Totally agree with this.Best bang for your buck by far.And the Tom mounts are second to none.....Great cheap drums!

wildbill

Platinum Member
If you're just getting started drumming and not sure you'll stick with it, probably any of the ones you listed will do.

If you want to get a set that you'd like to have around for a while, I'd also say look for some Stage Customs.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Looks like a good deal to me. You'd have to get some hardware and cymbals to go with it.
That snare alone usually goes for a couple hundred when new, and the bass drum looks like its got a good batter head on it.
Maybe he could meet you halfway for the driving part.