Looking for few but effective esxcersices on playing "clean"

veecharlie

Hey guys, after coming back to the drumkitafter an injury for more than 4 years I have noticed sometimes I "flam" my notes... making that in some cases my playing won't be 100% clean. I find this a big problem and I want to do something about it... what good esxcersices do you suggest ?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
IMO cleanliness is a result of having a really clean technique, meaning well developed hands. And great timing. Cleanliness, to really put a fine point on it, to me, comes down to the stroke. How much of a straight line the arc follows. But more importantly, the timing between the 2 hands. Linear triplets around the toms, played to quarters on the HH, is a good all around timing exercise, and unisons are good to practice firing both right and left at the exact same moment.

No flams on the unisons obviously. Unison 2 hands, add the hi hat foot, add the bass. Break it up, don't do just quarters. Shuffle the unisons. Do unisons with varying volume. Do Stick Control patterns as unisons.

For my money, the single stroke roll is the ultimate cleanlinesss exercise for the hands. Do everything slow and deliberate to a click, and raise the tempo gradually. If you can do a clean 740 BPM SSR...(16th notes @ 185 BPM, 12.33 beats per second) for a full minute, you should have all the technique you need for any non extreme type of music. Most people can do pretty close to 600 BPM, or 10 beats a second starting out. Start there, and move to the top of your comfort range and work there to increase the upper limits of the comfort range.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I remember starting out someone pointing out that my notes weren't in unison, especially my bass and right hand. I had moved from playing bass guitar, so I had some rhythm. At first I didn't believe it, so I recorded it yo try to prove that I was playing them at the same time. I zoomed in on the track in Audacity, and well no not at the same time. From there, I was able to improve very quickly by connecting the two. I think the problem was that I wasn't accounting for the delay in the mechanics and physics of the bass pedal and sound of the bass. The bass indeed needs to be ahead of the beat just to be on the beat. Once you get the sound it's pretty easy to move the coordination around. Hearing it is the problem.

G

Ghostnote

The best thing you can do to clean ul your technique is to play simple patterns or exercises and slow them down to a tempo that you can play perfectly. Don't speed them up until you are comfortably playing them cleanly with no tension, then start to speed them up very gradually, but never past the point that you can play them perfdctly.

cornelius

Silver Member
The best thing you can do to clean ul your technique is to play simple patterns or exercises and slow them down to a tempo that you can play perfectly. Don't speed them up until you are comfortably playing them cleanly with no tension, then start to speed them up very gradually, but never past the point that you can play them perfdctly.
I always slow things down until I can play them well, then I slow it down even more... :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If using matched, a strong thumb is pretty key. Especially on the weak hand. It's the only opposing force, and the thumb is typically the weakest part of the hand. If you want to break someone's grip on you, go against their thumb. The thumb muscles should match each other in size too. I'll bet mostly everyone's weak hand thumb muscle is considerably smaller than the strong hand thumb muscle. You won't see that mentioned here much, but it's a big factor. I exercise it with a drumstick. I play singles, not fast, and simply make sure my thumb bends when the stick moves, like the thumb is driving the stick. With a gentle squeeze to work the muscle. I don't perform like that, I do the opposite and relax myself. But I use it as an exercise to build my thumb muscle at practice.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
Hey guys, after coming back to the drumkitafter an injury for more than 4 years I have noticed sometimes I "flam" my notes... making that in some cases my playing won't be 100% clean. I find this a big problem and I want to do something about it... what good esxcersices do you suggest ?
I´m not sure if I should not comment on this VIDEO (a video of yours), but observing the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG2FwlbUvI

, it kind of sounds the opposite. Instead of your playing sounding "flamed" it sounds to me like you have trouble playing flams. When you play using both hands together it sound like a wrongly done flam ALMOST an unison (00:13) ..I´m not sure what´s the intention when you do it (or is to do t LIKE IT SOUNDS?), but if you don´t preced it with an verbal explanation I would think you are "missing" your flams!

Kind of like this guy at 0:23 to 0:24, he can not do the flams when he raises up the speed, when he want to play faster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VOCdVJwQE

Best regards!

Last edited:

Elpecs

Sometimes the best is to attack the problem upfront. It would be good to identify in which situations (does this happen at particular tempo, groove or chop?) your unisons are not being played as clean as they could it be and then worked on that at slower tempos. If it's groove wise I feel playing 4 on the floor grooves are really good to detect these inconsistencies. Record yourself too! A lot of times is hard to tell if you are playing things right in the moment.

Hope that helps!!!

veecharlie

I´m not sure if I should not comment on this VIDEO (a video of yours), but observing the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtG2FwlbUvI

, it kind of sounds the opposite. Instead of your playing sounding "flamed" it sounds to me like you have trouble playing flams. When you play using both hands together it sound like a wrongly done flam ALMOST an unison (00:13) ..I´m not sure what´s the intention when you do it (or is to do t LIKE IT SOUNDS?), but if you don´t preced it with an verbal explanation I would think you are "missing" your flams!

Kind of like this guy at 0:23 to 0:24, he can not do the flams when he raises up the speed, when he want to play faster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VOCdVJwQE

Best regards!
this is where I get irritated about. There is NO flam on my video. If you understand my video itself, I don't have a kit, therefore I "imagine" a small kit on my pad and rehearse my songs. A flam is made out of a up stroke and a down stroke. Just like your video. Which in my video, probably my problem is shown, once again, I was not doing a flam, altough you hear a flam, because my strokes are not 100% equal qith my left and right hand.

veecharlie

Sometimes the best is to attack the problem upfront. It would be good to identify in which situations (does this happen at particular tempo, groove or chop?) your unisons are not being played as clean as they could it be and then worked on that at slower tempos. If it's groove wise I feel playing 4 on the floor grooves are really good to detect these inconsistencies. Record yourself too! A lot of times is hard to tell if you are playing things right in the moment.

Hope that helps!!!
Hi! Yea it kind of happens randomly... it happens maybe 1 or twice in X time, or days happens almost all the time, it's kind of inconsistent. I have been troubleshooting this thing and I came down as the others say, play slower to get more accurate. On the kit, happens less often than on the pad, but it happens... It's irritating, because it shows inconsistency to the beats... Thank you for your answer, it defenitively helps !

veecharlie

If using matched, a strong thumb is pretty key. Especially on the weak hand. It's the only opposing force, and the thumb is typically the weakest part of the hand. If you want to break someone's grip on you, go against their thumb. The thumb muscles should match each other in size too. I'll bet mostly everyone's weak hand thumb muscle is considerably smaller than the strong hand thumb muscle. You won't see that mentioned here much, but it's a big factor. I exercise it with a drumstick. I play singles, not fast, and simply make sure my thumb bends when the stick moves, like the thumb is driving the stick. With a gentle squeeze to work the muscle. I don't perform like that, I do the opposite and relax myself. But I use it as an exercise to build my thumb muscle at practice.
That's interesting ! Different way to look at things. I should try that!

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Slow down, play to a metronome and focus on the issue.

I guarantee you don't flam notes at 50 bpm or less when it's painfully slow.

if you do just work on hitting multiple limbs at once and not even playing a beat or groove..once you get it, speed up a bit at a time.

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
this is where I get irritated about. There is NO flam on my video. If you understand my video itself, I don't have a kit, therefore I "imagine" a small kit on my pad and rehearse my songs. A flam is made out of a up stroke and a down stroke. Just like your video. Which in my video, probably my problem is shown, once again, I was not doing a flam, altough you hear a flam, because my strokes are not 100% equal qith my left and right hand.
For the record, that WAS NOT my video. I posted THAT VIDEO as an example of wrong flams.

A VIDEO OF ME doing Flams would be...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0t_l5mv1cg

Yes, I understood you wanted NOT to play flams.

Get a teacher!

Best regards!

Last edited:

veecharlie

Slow down, play to a metronome and focus on the issue.

I guarantee you don't flam notes at 50 bpm or less when it's painfully slow.

if you do just work on hitting multiple limbs at once and not even playing a beat or groove..once you get it, speed up a bit at a time.
^^ This !!!!!
This is extremely effective.. I started doing that yesterday I highly recommend this. There is an excersice at 50bpm alternating from quarters to 16ths notes on the hithat, which is brutal.

veecharlie

For the record, that WAS NOT my video. I posted THAT VIDEO as an example of wrong flams.

A VIDEO OF ME doing Flams would be...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0t_l5mv1cg

Yes, I understood you wanted NOT to play flams.

Get a teacher!

Best regards!
I'm starting to get confused on what you mean. Well the teacher that teached me rudiments months ago teached me a flam is a up stroke and a down stroke, that's how I found out about an existing upstroke as he said my flams where wathever, that got corrected. I don't think he is much wrong as he is a retired conservatorium proffessor in Texas, he was specialized in timpani. I don't get lessons anymore because of health issues, but I hope to retake soon.
In anyways thanks :)
Saludos

Alex Sanguinetti

Silver Member
I'm starting to get confused on what you mean. Well the teacher that teached me rudiments months ago teached me a flam is a up stroke and a down stroke, that's how I found out about an existing upstroke as he said my flams where wathever, that got corrected. I don't think he is much wrong as he is a retired conservatorium proffessor in Texas, he was specialized in timpani. I don't get lessons anymore because of health issues, but I hope to retake soon.
In anyways thanks :)
Saludos
I simple meant that that video of a guy doing flams (wrong) wasn´t me.

Later I posted a VIDEO OF ME doing Flams, which was (again) this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0t_l5mv1cg

If you are doing flams when you don´t want to do them, my sugestion was to get a teacher.

Best and get well!