Looking for Feedback on SPAUN Drums

steverok

Silver Member
Hi everyone. I am entering the market for a high-tier maple kit. I played a set of Spaun maple drums at a store here, and was rather knocked out by them. I understand they are Keller shells, which I assume are of the North American maple variety. I like that I can custom design my own kit, and their finish options are great. Also, the price is very reasonable, compared to other bigger names. I am looking for feedback from anyone familiar with Spaun. Thanks.

sXeDanimalsXe

They are good drums. There isn't anything they have or do that every other custom drum company dosen't have/do. You could make your own for a little less. You can order keller shells, even predrilled and with the bearing edges cut, all the hardware, wraps too.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
My gigging kit is a 6 piece Spaun maple custom in natural finish. As ply shelled kits go, it's as good as anything else out there I've tried, & significantly better than most. The construction detail is superb. All very accurately assembled with excellent bearing edges. Great lugs, it tunes up really easily & performs well in any application. If it's a maple ply kit you're after, I doubt you'd regret deciding to go with Spaun.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Brian Spaun does great work, and in the fairly short life of his company has become one of the best-respected custom builders, along with companies like Pork Pie, GMS, etc.

With regard to getting shells and materials and assembling/building the drums yourself, remember that there are certain touches the pros offer you that the suppliers don't. It's one thing to have all the correct parts, and quite another to make them into great drums.

Bermuda

eamesuser

Silver Member
I was at a drum show a few years back,and they had several boutique kits set up,which I heard several people play,one of which was a Spaun birch,and it was in the top 2,the other was a maple Acoustic Woods,both great,just different but they sounded great,a lot like my Eames.I believe they make or design their lugs,which looked to be of great quality,and do a double 45 edge.I know there are a lot of companies doing good work,but I think Spaun has just hit on a great combination that really works.It also looks like the prices are quite reasonable for what you get,and that you can get one pretty reasonably if you don't go too crazy on the finish options.

sXeDanimalsXe

Brian Spaun does great work, and in the fairly short life of his company has become one of the best-respected custom builders, along with companies like Pork Pie, GMS, etc.

With regard to getting shells and materials and assembling/building the drums yourself, remember that there are certain touches the pros offer you that the suppliers don't. It's one thing to have all the correct parts, and quite another to make them into great drums.

Bermuda
This is true. Spaun has made a great name for them selfs.

About making drums your self, doing the drilling, and bearing edges are tricky, and that is why the pros are able to make great sounding kits. Some companies will do the drilling for you. So basically you assemble the drums your self. I know a number of people who do that so they can claim they "built their own custom kit."

Stixnergard2

I orded a Spaun kit back in 2001 and couldn't be happier with the quality and sound. There are plenty of customer Keller builders. but Spaun has their own lugs and years of experience. Great kits but they have poor re-sale value just like the other customer builder's kits

Attachments

tamadrm

Platinum Member
Spaun did.....I repeat ..did make great drums.They are no longer in production.

I think if you want to bulletproof the building process as much as possible not having good woodworking skills,you really won't save all that much money.If the drum supply house cuts all your bearing edges and does all the drilling to mount all your lugs and hardware...they WILL charge you for it.It dosen't come free,and the better the supplier,the more expensive the work.So how much you will save is in direct proportion to how much labor and skill YOU put into your custom kit.

I have met a few drummers that have sold a ticket their ego can't cash and have not been as truthful as to how much they really paid and how much work they really did on their custom drums.

Buying a custom drum set will get you two things though.One would be a warranty which is as good as the company you buy them from.And two..the worst resale value in the industry.I know ,a custom builder will argue the point,but take a look at ebay,and compare original sale value with resale value to verify it.

I have nothing against owning a custom drums,but I believe its a life time deal.You buy them for life.Some of them sound amazing,but a lot sound like cookie cutter Keller shelled drums.They just look a little different.It all depends on the builder.

Steve B

AJ3000

Silver Member
Spaun stuff is pretty killer, but before you place you're order check out HD custom drums. I looked at spaun (among others) before going to HD. The extra quality on offer is out of this world, and the prices will really surprise you.

I'm not just shamelessly plugging as an endorsee, I'm super fussy about my gear and they are genuinely the best drums I have come across in a long time. Hit the website, get in touch with Rhett and see what he can offer!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Spaun did.....I repeat ..did make great drums.They are no longer in production.
Hmm, now that sounds familiar, but I can't recall where I heard it. They were at NAMM in January, loud & proud as usual, and there's no hint of a shutdown on their web site. But a lot can change in 7 months.

I have nothing against owning a custom drums,but I believe its a life time deal.You buy them for life.
Correct. Even with established brands like Pork Pie and GMS, resale isn't strong. Ideally, we shouldn't buy drums with the notion of getting rid of them someday, but it does happen and resale is a consideration. Imagine if you could stock up on new Camco, Ludwig and Rogers gear 40+ years ago... you'd be rich now!

Bermuda

steverok

Silver Member
All this talk of poor resale of custom builds makes me want to look used. I'll check out those HDs too. Ideally I would buy drums off the floor of a store. Such a search.

Ian

Silver Member
Imagine if you could stock up on new Camco, Ludwig and Rogers gear 40+ years ago... you'd be rich now!
I love these comments. OT, I know, but instruments should not be seen as an investment. Sure, buying all those drums back then would yield what some would consider a healthy return now, but putting the same money into a balanced portfolio would have paid you WAY more. Even the coveted '59 Les Paul or Gretsch White Penguin didn't outpace the market.

BTW I agree with Berm, don't buy gear with an eye for resale value.