Looking for Country Song w/ Challenging & Good Drums

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Do you have any idea how hard it is to find anything resembling Progressive Country? If you want to join a jam to play something like that, you might as well go out with a bang! :D
Yes I do brother! The original question wasn’t asking for Progessive Country so what can I say? :ROFLMAO: :unsure: (y) :ROFLMAO:

Yes I do brother! The original question wasn’t asking for Progessive Country so what can I say? :ROFLMAO: :unsure: (y) :ROFLMAO:
You may have realized by now that some of my posts can be a bit tongue-in-cheek. :D
I would love to see someone proposing that song at a jam session: "What, you knuckleheads don't know Montana?!? Alright, I got a folder with sheets for you. Here, play this now! And where's that motor trucking marimba player?!"

someguy01

Platinum Member

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Folksy/Country song with the great Carlos Vega delivering the goods in the out chorus.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
As you probably know, Rod Morgenstein played drums in a quasi country/southern rock/jazz fusion band called the Dixie Dregs back in the late 70's. I just picked up the original pressing vinyl in excellent condition, and Rod has some pretty good licks on this album. This one is fun to play:

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Remember Dickey Betts I think first solo albums Highway Call very country-honky tonk . A lot of steel guitar and violin

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Play simple country music well.........there's your challenge.
Or phrased another way.....

Simply play country music, well, there's your challenge.

River19

Lock down your train beats, and playing "for the song". Country music is still defined somewhat by letting the guy or gal out front be the shining star, it isn't about the dude with the sticks or plugged into an amp, it is about the song. Make sure you are smooth and tasteful with your intros, outros, endings, transition from verse to chorus then specifically pulling it back to the next verse in a tasteful unpretentious way.

If you want some good drumming that gets lumped into "Country" check out Sturgil Simpson's music.

pgm554

Platinum Member
I’m going to an open band night that is country based with some friends. I need some good country songs that are popular and have some drum tracks that are different from the standard 2/4 snare and 1/3 kick or shuffle. Any thoughts?

So to be upfront, I’m not a huge fan of country music. I find most country drumming pretty basic and straight forward. (No offense meant to the drummers that love country drumming…just not my thing.)

Thanks!
Try Whipping Post by the Allman Bros
11/8 intro

pgm554

Platinum Member
As you probably know, Rod Morgenstein played drums in a quasi country/southern rock/jazz fusion band called the Dixie Dregs back in the late 70's. I just picked up the original pressing vinyl in excellent condition, and Rod has some pretty good licks on this album. This one is fun to play:

But it is in 2/4.

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
Remember Dickey Betts I think first solo albums Highway Call very country-honky tonk . A lot of steel guitar and violin
Listening to this album right now while banging away at the computer trying to get some work done lol. Most of the songs composed and played by Mr. Richard Betts himself.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I think the Grand Old Opry had a no drums policy. Had.
When they did finally start allowing drums in performances, they were hidden off-stage, out of view from the audience.

pgm554

Platinum Member
Is that somehow a disqualification?

Sweet rides and cool shop!
dwpearl03 said: I’m going to an open band night that is country based with some friends. I need some good country songs that are popular and have some drum tracks that are DIFFERENT from the standard 2/4 snare and 1/3 kick or shuffle. Any thoughts?