Looking for book suggestions, trying to learn different genres (Rock, Jazz, Latin..)

Phat_Rolls

What book(s) do you guys suggest for learning different rhythms? I'm wondering if there's a good book out there that shows you a little bit of everything (Rock, Latin, Jazz...etc), just so I can get a good overview of different rhythms and later on start focusing more on each area.

Thanks!

AciD_206

Re: Looking for book suggestions, trying to learn different genres (Rock, Jazz, Latin

Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials. Not a book, but it covers a bunch of genres.

Therma lobsterdore

Re: Looking for book suggestions, trying to learn different genres (Rock, Jazz, Latin

I've never got on with learning styles out of books, it never sinks in for me! I'd suggest getting a collection of songs from each genre and playing to them. We all learn differently tho so do whatever is best for you.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member

Drummer's bible is a great book; but some of the grooves are wrong, so be careful.

John Pickering The Drummer's Cookbook from Mel Bay is another good one. I also use Groove Essentials and find it to be an invaluable resource.

zambizzi

Platinum Member

Drummer's bible is a great book; but some of the grooves are wrong, so be careful.
Second on this book - excellent book w/ great (but brief) descriptions of the grooves and how they apply. The accompanying CD is icing on the cake, giving you a guide for the sound and feel, rather than just reading from a book.

I love how they provide a few different variations of each style as well.

I'm confused as well - how can a groove be "wrong". Not everyone plays a Samba the same way, for example...which one is "correct"?

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member

how can a groove be wrong? do you mean grooves incorrectly transcribed from well known recordings?
Yes. You have to so be careful of the words you use when that's all you have, don't you?

Phat_Rolls

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely check out the drummers bible.