Looking for advice on picking a drum set

drumnut87

keep an eye on the 2nd hand selling sites and social media groups for a decent 2nd hand set, you can get some good deals in the 2nd hand market for the kits you want :)

all of my gear (bar some exceptions) come from the 2nd hand places, including a gorgeous mapex black panther flamed maple snare :)

Vasik_NJ

I've got a new set of Tama Superstar Classic Custom from Guitar Center a month ago for $500 and think it's a good deal.
Maple shells and laqcuer finish.
I also didn't want a laminate but did not have any preferences about wood cause I did not have any previous experience with drums at all.
Also I did not want to buy a set with cymbals cause my plan was to use it for practice at home, so I have bought Zildjian L80 Series LV468 set ($300) and a set of Remo SilentStroke heads ($50).
Hardware set from PDP was about another hundred dollars.

drummom

Shop around and look for clearances especially at discontinued prices. We got a new Mapex Armory for $500 on Amazon for the rock 5 piece set as the color was being discontinued. Sometimes you can get good deals, especially on cymbals during black Friday. Last black Friday was a bust. All the used ones were about the same price, if not more. I haven't seen great used prices except for the double base drum pedal that everyone here told me to do vs. cheaper new one. But, I have paid $100 or less for two different AAX.

brentcn

Platinum Member
$1000 maple lacquer kit with decent hardware? Maybe a used PDP, Gretsch Catalina Maple, or a Yamaha Tour Custom. From there, it's pretty much about which finish you like most, and whatever deals happens to come along.

Most first time cymbal buyers tend to buy bright, harsh things because they're much less expensive. If you're spending less than $100, it's probably crap. If you just need something, then by all means, go cheap. But if you're particular enough about a kit's wood type and finish, you'll probably also want to get some quality cymbals. $550 can get you a very, very decent set of hi-hats ($200), crash ($150), and ride ($200), maybe Zildjian A or K Customs, Sabian HHX, or similar from Meinl.

Good Karma

Most low end stock snare's suck, might keep a little extra $$$ aside for an more expensive snare. Its worth it

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

$1000 maple lacquer kit with decent hardware? Maybe a used PDP, Gretsch Catalina Maple, or a Yamaha Tour Custom. From there, it's pretty much about which finish you like most, and whatever deals happens to come along.

Most first time cymbal buyers tend to buy bright, harsh things because they're much less expensive. If you're spending less than $100, it's probably crap. If you just need something, then by all means, go cheap. But if you're particular enough about a kit's wood type and finish, you'll probably also want to get some quality cymbals. $550 can get you a very, very decent set of hi-hats ($200), crash ($150), and ride ($200), maybe Zildjian A or K Customs, Sabian HHX, or similar from Meinl.
sooo true about the cymbals!! Cheap and harsh is a very common mistake...with "cheap" being the main element or reason for the failure...

the 2 biggest things I won't skimp on for my playing are cymbals and drum throne!!